Can't Have Anything Nice!!!

• Long story short... brought my sling in for 2 recalls and to get a new rear tire put of due to shredding the kendall with the new DDM works turbo (Thanks again Dave). Now not sure about you guys/girl but I'm pretty anal when it comes to my stuff and vehicles in general. Before bringing it in for service I washed it just to reduce the chance of someone rubbing on it and scratching the paint.

Waited 1 month for my appointment, Dropped it off Monday, Picked it up end of day Wednesday. 2 recalls, 1 for the fuse melting and catching fire, and second for backup cam melting and possibly catching fire or failing. New Rear tire, inspection and to check my brakes as they feel spongy. Couldn't do the recalls as the parts are on back order (Didn't order them I don't think till Monday or Try too) So basically New tire, Inspection and maybe they bled the brakes not sure...... Now I looked the vehicle over before I picked it up but never inspected the Rear rim ... was in a rush my step son was picking up his first Car and we had to finish the paperwork on that.

So today he wanted to wash his car, I was in the Garage picking up some things and noticed the left over tape/residue from the old Rear wheel weights so I went and get a sponge. When I was about to start cleaning it up then I noticed the damage.

Dealership is Griffin Motor Sports INC

3909 State St, Schenectady, NY 12304

Waiting to hear back from them on Monday.. My guess is I will be told to kick rocks as it should have been check before leaving and really wont be any way to prove they did the damage.

Just a great stretch of luck on my part between the Chemical reaction of the Chem guys products and now this..... I mean I wanted to get new Rims but am holding off till next year.

• Took my SL to tire warehouse to have rear tire put on. Next morning I saw one of the rear spokes was cracked all the way through. They said they didn't do it. But if it was cracked when they changed the tire they surely would have noticed. I did not argue with them since it was my excuse to upgrade the rims.

• Took my SL to tire warehouse to have rear tire put on. Next morning I saw one of the rear spokes was cracked all the way through. They said they didn't do it. But if it was cracked when they changed the tire they surely would have noticed. I did not argue with them since it was my excuse to upgrade the rims.

Pretty much where I'm at now. Shitty thing is between Tire and Fees to mount I would have been $200 closer to the wheels/tires I wanted Plus whos going to want to buy these when the back rim is messed up now. Figured I could get $400-$500 for these stock rims but who knows now.

Be a fun call Monday, A good dealer would offer to replace the Rim, however crappy dealers/tire places will say it was already there and they didn't do it which is what I'm expecting.

Was looking at these

ROHANA RF2 SLINGSHOT 20" SUPER WIDE REAR (345 OR 335) WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGE

• I just had two tires installed at my tire shop.....the owner wanted a certain guy to do the mounting.....which he did.....but I was left with the same white sticky tape residue on my rims...

this stuff takes off the glue ...melts it like butter ...almost....very little effort involved....didn’t hurt the rim...I got it at an auto body supply store...used it to remove rubber door seals....and bad string lights...on my SS...

they might not have had anything to remove it with or they didn’t want to scratch the rims....I’m glad they didn’t try....

they are going to deny causing any damage......probably should have taken pictures of the rims before leaving them.....and probably should go to a regular tire shop to get them mounted....not saying they can’t cause damage ....

• For the paint damage...

A little black satin paint and nobody but you will know.

As for the white sticky residue...

A little WD-40 and a plastic putty knife and its gone.

Shit happens... ;)

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Bigdog I could care less about the left over tape from the weights. more about the physical damage. Might pick some up though, I defentnatly get not wanting to scratch someones wheels lol however at this point wouldn't matter to me if they used steel wool.

airoutlaw Shit happens but that rim is probably $400-600 to replace from Polaris. Didn't have a scratch, curb rash or dent on it. Now the Face has what looks like curb rash, the back side has a few 2-3 inch scratches and the inside has 2 big dents with metal shavings sticking up as well as other marks. I get you can cob it up with some nail polish but thats besides the point. I don't hand wash and polish my cars/vehicles weekly so they look like shit. I don't have my sling parked in my garage with a Cover over it so that my rims can look like shit. Its not a $500 honda civic.I take care of my stuff and expect others who work on it to do the same. Its the core principle not about the $$$. I get people make mistakes but not taking responsibility for it is even worse.

Quick update talked to the Dealer Monday, They said they will take care of it. Brought it in today and they took pictures. Guess they took it to good year down the road due to it being a 20inch Rim they don't have anything to handle it in shop. No discussion of what taking care of it means but I'll post an update next week if I don't hear anything before then.

• I wanted to buy my own tire changing station. I know it's not an easy task with the small sidewalls but I figured I would be much more careful then the tire change businesses. Wife nixed the machine. So, I will have anxiety when it's time to change the tires on my after market rims.

• Yeah I just have bad luck. My truck is lifted with 20 inch rims and 35s... I normally go to a tire place that specializes in customs rims ect. When I bought my rims that are on it now, one rim had a scratch on it from the factory. It was on the lip where the tire bead is and I honestly didn't even see it when they pointed it out to me. They not only told me about it but then replaced it 2 days later when the replacement came in. Thats what I call service....... This year I brought it down the road from my house... Ahh I'll save some time instead of driving 25 minutes to that place.... They put a big 6 inch scratch on one of the wheels, Told me about it and acted like it was my fault for having large rims and tires. I called before hand to verify they could work on it and they had no issues then. Needless to say I don't go there anymore, I had some choice words for.them They told me about it, but that was it. Upon further inspection they tried to cover it with up a black sharpie but that didn't work which is why they told me.

EricRedSL I get it. I do a lot of my work myself now because I don't trust anyone. My step son just got his first car and is obsessed with youtubers and people with mclarens and Super cars. I told him if I ever was that rich I wouldn't want any of those cars.My complaint now about a $500 rim would be on a $20k Rim for those car or some bumper part that cost 50k. People just don't respect any ones stuff anymore and its sad...... There is a reason business's have insurance but yet no one wants to admit to it.

• they probably didn’t have anything to remove the tape without scratching the rims....be glad they didn’t try....that was my point....

You would think with the big popularity of aluminum rims they would know how to do it flawlessly....

• airoutlaw Shit happens but that rim is probably $400-600 to replace from Polaris. Didn't have a scratch, curb rash or dent on it. Now the Face has what looks like curb rash, the back side has a few 2-3 inch scratches and the inside has 2 big dents with metal shavings sticking up as well as other marks. I get you can cob it up with some nail polish but thats besides the point. I don't hand wash and polish my cars/vehicles weekly so they look like shit. I don't have my sling parked in my garage with a Cover over it so that my rims can look like shit. Its not a $500 honda civic.I take care of my stuff and expect others who work on it to do the same. Its the core principle not about the $$$. I get people make mistakes but not taking responsibility for it is even worse.

Understand your aggravation.

:00007991: And since you called me out...

I posted tips for dealing with the paint on theses rims and removing the foam tape. Those are two things everyone will deal with, sooner or later.

Everyone is dealing with "Shit Happens ;)" and you are not unique in the ownership of a Slingshot.

Just gonna leave your smoldering pile here and skip the last tip for you.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• the first time I had a new tire put on my rear wheel....the rim had a mark all the way around the center of the rim...kinda like a scratch from something grabbing the rim of something....I was p issed but I didn’t make an issue out of it because these guys have been good to me for over 30 years.....I’m sure they have a pretty big turnover of unqualified minimum wage help...
    I'm glad he put what he considered a good guy On this last tire change.....but I still had to remove the white tape....

truth be known I’ve probably done more damage to my SS than anyone else..... self inflicted.....but I get the part about paying someone to mess up your stuff...

I just put a dent and a scratch in my pickup truck...I hit it with my SS...

• I've had to discard new wheels due to severe inner wheel scrapes and dents caused by the clamps on the tire-changer NOT having the rubber blocks applied to them. Enkei RPF1 and PF01's are strong but very lightweight and their inner wheel cylinders are easily dented. The last thing I needed were stress-risers on high performance wheels on a vehicle with no spare tire. A small crack and you've got a leak you can't plug -- so you have to either have a friend bring a spare wheel or flat-bed tow the vehicle home...

I now do these things when changing tires:

1) I remove any weights and clean off all of the tape residue (gum-off or equivalent)

2) I clean the wheel and tires -- the front facing surface of the wheel is waxed -- to look showroom new

3) I bring the wheels into the tire store dismounted from the vehicle in another car or pickup

4) I tip the guy taking the order $20 (most guys accept tips)

With squeaky-clean wheels and tires, the guys handling them have a much easier time... No brake dust or road grime to deal with. That, and guys know that any damage will be easily noticed.