Anyone with the "HD Elite LED headlight " from slingmods, I have a Q for you

• Been hearing about the outer lamps failing due to heat not dissipating thanks to the rubber boot on the back of the assembly. Obviously the engineers have the boot to keep moisture out thanks to how close they are to the wheel wells. My question to the group that have own these have you seen failures?

One recommendation that I am tempted to do is cutting small holes to let the heat out. I also know the slingmods install video says to leave space between the assembly and the bottom of the boot. I just don't think that's enough to keep the heat down.

Comments please...

I also heard only after ordering these lights that there are newer LED tech that are ribbon-based and don't require fans. I wish I had ordered those instead.:/

• Any links for those newer "ribbon" led lights would be appreciated!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Any links for those newer "ribbon" led lights would be appreciated!

I was talking to a pro-installer (sound and light auto shop). I was talking to him specifically about the led+fans combo kits and the potential heat build-up with the boot and he responds that there are better tech using ribbons. I just did a cursory internet search and all I see are the led lighting ribbons that we are seeing with new cars where the led ribbons trace around the headlamps as DRL but I have yet to see direct headlamp replacements.

Not sure if he was generalizing or really did mean headlamps with ribbon tech.:rolleyes:

• I’ve had them installed since 9/17..... still going...

I did have bad one .....it was exchanged under warranty....

All I had to do was send the a picture of the power cord cut off....they shipped a new one....

As a side note all of my string lights have been replaced under warranty....

Slingmods is the best...great customer service....last time I was on the phone with them I told the guy “ I love you guys”.....in a manly way...:thumbsup:

• did you do anything to the boot like cut holes or did you just install as per the slingmods instruction video?

• neostar I don't have slingmods brand but my LEDs have been on my sling for at least 2 years now without any issue with moisture etc and I removed the boots altogether.

I originally killed my first set of LEDs in 3 days with the boot on, got replacements and removed the boots and no issues ever since.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• neostar I don't have slingmods brand but my LEDs have been on my sling for at least 2 years now without any issue with moisture etc and I removed the boots altogether.

I originally killed my first set of LEDs in 3 days with the boot on, got replacements and removed the boots and no issues ever since.

This was the confirmation I needed. I would rather take a chance with moisture than trapped heat any day. Going to take the boots off when I install. Thanks for the input.

• I just watched the new slingmods installation video. They do not cut the boot now. They tell you not to push the boot down tight but leave some room behind the light bulb.

I seriously doubt that's enough. That cooling fan needs airflow. The advice I was given by a professional was to cut out a hole that would allow you to expose only the fan rear poking out of the boot. I realize the threat of moisture will still be there but I think heat is a more immediate concern especially in hot summer climates.

Remember LEDs don't have filaments like HID and halogens so moisture is not as much as a threat but it is still a threat with regards to corrosion.

• To wrap things up with this thread, I decided to experiment with a solution that will give me peace of mind both with regards to heat buildup and protection from the elements. As you see from the picture below I preserve the boots (without modding them) by using them to hold excess wiring and wrapping all of that in zip-tied baggies for element protection (it's not sealed so moisture is not trapped).

As for the lights themselves I duct-taped some elbow-shaped pipe insulation and angled them down to avoid water accumulation and ensured copious amounts of protected airflow to the fans (they have at least an inch of space away from elbow). So not only do the fans have all the air flow they need they are almost completely protected from dirt/grime/moisture generated from the wheels in motion.

Is it a pretty solution? Nope, but I rarely pop the hood when talking about my toy batmobile. People are more interested in the outside looks and just talking about the engine inside.