Anyone install 4pt. harnesses and keep the factory seats?

• To be totally honest you should not use harnesses with the factory seats. Do some research on what kinds of seats should be used with 4-5-6 point harnesses. You'll see that the design of the factory seat is on the "do not" install list.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• Thanks WraithSS for the feedback. Interesting that Slingmods feels the 4 point PRP harness is acceptable for use with the factory seats...
    PRP Seats are on our future wish list, but we were hoping to use the factory seats a while longer, but improving our safety now with an alternative to the factory seat belts.

For my own education, can you tell me why the factory seat is on the "do not" install list for a 4 point harness? Is the 4 point seat belt set-up less functional/safe, say for instance if the SS was involved in a side impact event? Obviously with the factory seat the upper straps are not as "contained" in their positions (vs the way they would be with a seat back style with a hole in it for the straps).

One last question (just wondering out loud) what is Safer in a general sense: The factory seats and seat belts, OR the factory seats and a 4 point seat belt harness (Like the PRP set-up. Either using a Harness bar, or mounting upper straps to the Roll bar mounting bolts)

Thanks

• For the record I love Slingmods....in a manly way....of course. But, they are part sellers. They do not manufacture or regulate harnesses. So, their acceptance of them being on a factory seat is well.....

The design of the factory seats does not accept the shoulder harness of a 4-5-6 point harness. Just because of that fact they are not recommended for them.

For the factory seats you are better off with factory belts. However, our vehicle technically does not even need belts to be in the vehicle class they are in. The best thing to do since we are talking about life safety is to do as much research as you can and come to an educated decision.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• @ITZQUIK - If you are looking to use the 4 pt harnesses for street driving, I would recommend against it. I installed the PRP 4 pt harnesses and I love them, for the track and back road spirited driving. On the streets in town and on the highway though I feel they are a bit dangerous. This is why, they do an awesome job of keeping you back in the seat and from sliding around, which is what they are supposed to do. However, with the Slingshots horrible blind spots, I feel the need to look over my shoulder when lane changing and to lean forward to check for traffic when pulling out. I can barely reach my stereo to change my music. On the track where my eyes stay mostly forward and on back country 2 or 1 lane roads, I don't need to check my blind spots. I use my 3 pt, factory belt on the street and just Z fold the 4 pt harnesses behind the seat. That is another benefit of the harness bar in my opinion, the ease of taking the 4 pt harness down and stowing them for 3 pt seatbelt use. Also, I do have the PRP seats. But, this is just my opinion and you know what they say... opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one!! ;)

• Hey WraithSS, thanks for the additional feedback. Rock & Nemesis 1701, thanks for your comments too.

Appreciate being able to get different perspectives on the issue before pulling the trigger on a new purchase. Always good to be able to benefit from the advice of those that have "been there /done that".

I suspect personal preference in seat belts, and how one will be driving the SS will play the main part in determining what's best for each owner. The feedback helps us prioritize what may be the "Good, Better, Best" solution for our situation.

I think we'll probably order the 4 point PRP belts now along with the Harness bar, and accelerate our decision to change-out the seats (probably to the PRP seats). We'll probably also leave the stock seat belts in place to have the choice of which seat belts to use, depending on the days driving plans.

Thanks All!

(P.S. Today was a great 200 plus mile day, doing a run from the CA central valley up to the pacific coast (Half Moon Bay) and back again, using back roads where ever we could find them :-)