Tie rod end replacement

• Anyone of our vendors have taken a look a the steering system of the SS? I have play in both my front wheels, coming from the fact that for some odd reason, Polaris decided to use gokart parts to assemble the steering on our machines...

The tie rod end is a pierced ball inside a cup, with a bolt securing it to the hub in a sanswitch. Only thing, the hole in the ball of the tie rod is bigger by maybe 0.001 inch than the bolt holding it to the hub, and same thing with the hole in the hub, its bigger than the bolt... So the rod ends move on the the bolt instead of turning the wheels...

Anyone come up with a solution to this, like a ball joint we can swap in there that doesn't make you feel like you drive a rented gokart?

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• or internally modified gears for the stock rack, but I am looking forward to someone making a solid aftermarket rack. OEM sucks.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• Just came from dealer for jumper harness recall. Got them to look at Passenger side tie rod for play. They said there is 0.125 play. They called Polaris when I was there and Polaris said I was over aggressive with my steering. I said I must be only turning it one way? Duh... Any way waiting on reply I'm pretty sure they're going to change my rack out. Was getting a shimmy from r/h front then checked the the tie rod by pushing fore and aft on tire. Sure enough a little clunk along with the slop. One of the techs said they're the same as a RZR rack and not used to the mileage. Like REALLY!!

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• Damn, that is depressing...

Wonder if we could fit a trex rack in there...

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• One of the techs said they're the same as a RZR rack and not used to the mileage. Like REALLY!!

Well....it does not match any of the current model RZR part numbers, is significantly longer, and has a straight shaft gearbox ..... doesn't mean its not the same manufacturer (who makes on road automotive steering parts for many manufacturers) but the "same" as a RZR is not exactly correct ..... unless his expertise extends to "yup...that's a steering rack"... confused-squared

Which is too bad....because there are a couple companies that offer "heavy duty" ...."automotive grade" replacement racks for the RZR's.......

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().

• I believe what he meant is that it is of the same type manufactured with some same parts. I'm just quoting what he said.I didn't think he mean't it was the exact same ones as the RZR.

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

Edited once, last by Canoehead ().

• interesting that a company tells you your aggressive driving has caused your failure but in no way would misaligned SS straight from the assembly line have contributed. No unwarranted stress on the tie rod end there.
    smile-squared

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup: