Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• Say goodbye to just about every vehicle on the road today (except Tesla and all electric)! Including the slingshot! Starting now.

Thanks Joe! I'm sure China, India, Russia and many others will follow in their own good time! For now we'll unnecessarily punish ourselves because were America and that's what you think we should do.

By the way I have a friend who owns a commercial grade electric contracting business. I talked to him yesterday, asked if he had any interest in installing quick charge stations. His answer was yes and he looked into it. The biggest issue is the power grid. It's not set up to handle the power demand. Who would have thought electric vehicles require electric power to charge. Joe, won't let that get in the way of his cluster!

A final rule issued Monday would raise mileage standards starting in the 2023 model year, reaching a projected industry-wide target of 40 miles per gallon by 2026.

The earth has gone through heating and cooling cycles. Science tells us the "U" shaped valleys throught the country (including wear I grew up in Pennsylvania) were caused by glaciers. In time the earth warmed up and melted the glaciers. Again science but let's ignore science that doesn't fit the agenda. That doesn't count says Joe! Move on!

Biden raises vehicle mileage standards, reversing Trump rollback | TheHill

• if you actually read the new standards they really do not have the kind of "say goodbye" impact you seem to be saying they will have - - first it clearly says that they are fleet wide standards and that they are only for cars and light trucks - - right off the bat this would not include the slingshot which is a motorcycle by federal standards, but even if it did like I said they are fleet wide standards meaning it needs to be the average of all of the car manufactures fleet and as such adding a few electric vehicles to their lineup of vehicles can drastically increase the average of their fleet allowing them to continue to make cars and trucks that come in much lower than the mandate.

anyway just wanted to point this out before we all panic

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• this is why I said to get the general ed requirements at a junior college and then finish up at a state university - - - virtually every single degree you could ever get starts with 2 years of general education requirements - - and these general required classes are universally offered in junior colleges - - I personally think it is financially unwise to pay more that you have to for these first 2 years no one cares if you got your GE requirements at a place like Pasadena city college when the ultimate bachelors or higher degree is issued by USC so why would you pay for 4 years of USC tuition when you can get the same degree and only pay USC tuition for the final 2 years?

part of the problem is that the kids want the instant status that comes with being able to say they go to USC and so they borrow unnecessarily to pay more tuition than what was really needed

As a parent if my child did not get a scholarship that would cover the cost I would very strongly encourage that they get those first 2 at a junior college and if I were paying I would insist on it. - - - I think as a parent it is a part of my responsibility to make sure my child is fully aware of the additional financial burden they will assume if they choose to go directly into a higher cost 4 year+ institution

Yup, my daughter did that... Still has very large student debt.

She went to a Community College to start, and had to be careful because some of the credits at the Community College were not transferable. She then went to a school that specializes in teaching as that is what she wanted. They kept jerking around with the " that class is not available until next semester" so she went to another college that had the classes she needed.

Anyway...people do what you say and still have enormous debt because they just hand the cash out like candy... with the stipulation that you will have to pay it back but no payments until you graduate.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

Edited once, last by billythekidd ().

• if you actually read the new standards they really do not have the kind of "say goodbye" impact you seem to be saying they will have - - first it clearly says that they are fleet wide standards and that they are only for cars and light trucks - - right off the bat this would not include the slingshot which is a motorcycle by federal standards, but even if it did like I said they are fleet wide standards meaning it needs to be the average of all of the car manufactures fleet and as such adding a few electric vehicles to their lineup of vehicles can drastically increase the average of their fleet allowing them to continue to make cars and trucks that come in much lower than the mandate.

anyway just wanted to point this out before we all panic

Of the top of my head the only combustion only vehicle capable of 40 MPG is an Eleo which never made it into production (yet). All those great production combustion cars gone. Corvette, hellcat, Hennessey, Roush editions and many others. Gone. Comaro's, Mustangs not a chance.

The 2022 models are in production now. That tells me that today the manufactures must focus on design, retooling and manufacturing now. No manufacturer will be willing to invest in a production vehicle that has a possibility of never making it into production.

The following is a list by car and driver of the most fuel-efficient combustion only cars 2021. Not a single one gets 40 MPG. Imagine what it would take to bring up the fleet average to 40. If my noncommercial light duty passenger vehicle F150 gets 19 MPG it would take a car or truck getting 61 MPG.

Most Fuel-Efficient Cars (That Aren't Electric or Hybrid) (caranddriver.com)

I don't believe for one second as aggressive as this administration is that it will carry over to all road vehicles. I believe the slingshot is the only road worthy vehicle in Polaris's inventory.

Even if for the moment this applies to passenger cars and light trucks what company is willing to invest money, research and production costs with an uncertain short-term future. I would not. I'll bet if anything the slingshot will be forced to go electric.

• Did you even read my post???? The mandate does not call for every car or truck to get 40mpg the mandate only calls for the fleet of vehicles made by the manufacture to average 40 mpg - - - so if the maker only makes 2 different car models and one is a hybrid that gets 60 mpg the other would be allowed to be as low as 20mpg - - - the average would then be 40 mpg and the manufacture would have complied with the new mandate

like I said - go read it - - - - I'm not saying its great or that there are not problems, but it does not call for every car to get 40 mpg, not even close

and if a manufacture can make 1 or 2 models that are all electric and get the equivalent of 80 or 100 mpg then they can easily keep making high performance internal combustion cars for those who want them just so long as when you add up the mpg of all of the cars they make and divide by the number of models the average = 40 mpg - they are good under the new mandate

and also the Slingshot is by Federal law a motorcycle - - this law has nothing to do with motorcycles and since its a federal lay it makes no difference if your state called it an autocycle - federally its still a motorcycle

I think the important fact that you are overlooking is that its the average of all of the models the company makes including fully electric models and hybrids - - - using the conversion methods that would be used to get MPGe as they call it like this

look at those numbers - look at the leaf - 111 mpg equivalent - - that will be counted in determining the average for Nissan - - if they only made one other car it could literally get ZERO mpg and their average would still be way over the 40mpg requirement

MPGe of popular electric cars.

Nissan Leaf 111 MPGe
    Chevrolet Bolt 118 MPGe
    Tesla Model S 109 MPGe
    Tesla Model X 101 MPGe

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Trump announces he got the COVID booster asks people not to downplay the vaccine

And then his supporters boo - - - - - - - - - -wow!

• Yes, I did!!!!

I wish the federal government operated that simple.

It does not. Even well intended simple things get out of control. The definitions are never that simple as you think they are! I know! Do you know what fuel & grease are and how they apply to purchasing requirements how the physical content is applied to qualifications? I hope you are correct in what qualifies as to values used to calculate what implies to the fleet average? A small portion of a simple items and what is considered as qualifying. Do you think the standards for vehicles are going to be that easy?

Notice the qualifying minimum content for the various similar products. Are you sure an electric car that does not get MPG qualifies within the equation? It may? It may not or it has the possibility to evolve as many times it does.

bullet_arrow_right_grey.png?pfdrid_c=truefp.png?pfdrid_c=true Gasoline Fuel Additives

Description: Chemical agents added to gasoline to increase octane levels, improve lubricity, and provide engine cleaning properties to gasoline-fired engines.

Minimum Biobased Content: 92%

bullet_arrow_right_grey.png?pfdrid_c=truefp.png?pfdrid_c=true Gear Lubricants

Description: Products, such as greases or oils, that are designed to reduce friction when applied to a toothed machine part (such as a wheel or cylinder) that meshes with another toothed part to transmit motion or to change speed or direction.

Minimum Biobased Content: 58%

bullet_arrow_right_grey.png?pfdrid_c=true General

bullet_arrow_right_grey.png?pfdrid_c=truefp.png?pfdrid_c=true General Purpose Household Cleaners

Description: Products designed to clean multiple common household surfaces. This designated item does not include products that are formulated for use as disinfectants. Task-specific cleaning products, such as spot and stain removers, upholstery cleaners, bathroom cleaners, glass cleaners, etc., are not included in this item.

Minimum Biobased Content: 39%

bullet_arrow_right_grey.png?pfdrid_c=truefp.png?pfdrid_c=true Glass Cleaners

Description: Cleaning products designed specifically for use in cleaning glass surfaces, such as windows, mirrors, car windows, and computer monitors.

Minimum Biobased Content: 49%

bullet_arrow_right_grey.png?pfdrid_c=truefp.png?pfdrid_c=true Graffiti and Grease Removers

Description: Industrial solvent products formulated to remove automotive, industrial, or kitchen soils and oils, including grease, paint, and other coatings, from hard surfaces.

Minimum Biobased Content: 34%

bullet_arrow_right_grey.png?pfdrid_c=truefp.png?pfdrid_c=true Greases - Food Grade

Description: Lubricants composed of oils thickened to a semisolid or solid consistency using soaps, polymers or other solids, or other thickeners. Lubricants that are designed for use on food-processing equipment as a protective anti-rust film, as a release agent on gaskets or seals of tank closures, or on machine parts and equipment in locations in which there is exposure of the lubricated part to food.

Minimum Biobased Content: 42%

bullet_arrow_right_grey.png?pfdrid_c=truefp.png?pfdrid_c=true Greases - Multipurpose

Description: Lubricants composed of oils thickened to a semisolid or solid consistency using soaps, polymers or other solids, or other thickeners. Lubricants that are designed for general use.

Minimum Biobased Content: 72%

• actually I think you are trying to make this out to be more than it is - - they have been mandating fleet averages for a long time now and most of what Biden signed only undoes rollbacks that were made by Trump - - - fact is that so far all of the MPG mandates in the past have been averaged exactly as I said in my post and I have no reason to think they would suddenly change now.

As a side note a new hybrid Slingshot with a smaller higher MPG internal combustion engine and some nice high performance electric motors at the wheels might not be a bad thing - - Porsche makes some very impressive hybrids that manage to get well over 40 mpg in hybrid mode

The Cayenne E-Hybrid's combination of a 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 and an electric motor mounted ahead of the eight-speed automatic join forces to create a combined maximum output of 455 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque. In Hybrid mode it gets an EPA rating of 46 mpg

• actually I think you are trying to make this out to be more than it is - - they have been mandating fleet averages for a long time now and most of what Biden signed only undoes rollbacks that were made by Trump - - - fact is that so far all of the MPG mandates in the past have been averaged exactly as I said in my post and I have no reason to think they would suddenly change now.

As a side note a new hybrid Slingshot with a smaller higher MPG internal combustion engine and some nice high performance electric motors at the wheels might not be a bad thing - - Porsche makes some very impressive hybrids that manage to get well over 40 mpg in hybrid mode

The Cayenne E-Hybrid's combination of a 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 and an electric motor mounted ahead of the eight-speed automatic join forces to create a combined maximum output of 455 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque. In Hybrid mode it gets an EPA rating of 46 mpg

“At EPA, our priority is to protect public health, especially in overburdened communities, while responding to the President’s ambitious climate agenda. Today we take a giant step forward in delivering on those goals, while paving the way toward an all-electric, zero-emissions transportation future.”

• “At EPA, our priority is to protect public health, especially in overburdened communities, while responding to the President’s ambitious climate agenda. Today we take a giant step forward in delivering on those goals, while paving the way toward an all-electric, zero-emissions transportation future.”

yes - someday they want to go all electric - - your acting like they are mandating it for tomorrow - - - - and you and I both know that's not even possible

• yes - someday they want to go all electric - - your acting like they are mandating it for tomorrow - - - - and you and I both know that's not even possible

Doesn't have to be tomorrow. After this mandate goes through what percentage of a company's operating budget would that company be willing to devote to R&D on combustion only engines? The development of a new production line happens many years prior to actual production.

I can't be the only one, but a few months backed I did receive a lengthy questionnaire as to what parameters as a customer I would accept as an all-electric slingshot. In the end the questionnaire provided a detailed specification as to my inputs and what current production has in R & D.

Edit: someone else posted below.

Slingshot All-Electric : polarisslingshot (reddit.com)

• By the way if you use Duckduckgo instead of Google, you will get much better uncensored results regarding these gene therapy mRNA vaccines. Heres another published article from DuckDuckGo.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/20…are-legally-not-vaccines/

You will have a very hard time finding any of these in google if you simply go and google "covid vaccine gene therapy" or "mRNA vaccine altering DNA". Get it?

• And just like that... the old saying.... for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction....

https://www.webmd.com/lung/new…vaccines-not-gene-therapy

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.