Nicest front speaker pods built so far

• I started at 7am this morning helping @larry install several sets of Memphis speakers in his Slingshot.

He already had the pods for behind the headrest and he had the factory pods up front. When I was finished he had an Alpine 4 channel amp and a set of 6 3/4" speakers in the headrest pods and in the front pods I crammed a set of 5 1/4" and a set of 4" speakers. The front pods are now 2.8 ohm and perfect..... The spacer we used for the 5 1/4" is so smooth that it looks like it was designed for the speaker cover.....The cover actually sets inside the edge of spacer...

My best front speaker pod build yet...

• Hey Rab!

How much are the pods and spacers with the speakers? Are the Memphis speakers waterproof I assume?

• Thank you rab is a understatement, I'm not sure how to explain how thankful I am for your help, I've never learned so much by just watching you in action....... you are the best..!!! And my wife says she will never hear her grandkids speak again...!!!
    Ear plugs are in the near future for her :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• The Memphis speakers are just regular car stereo speakers. They are not water resistant. I have never had an issue with water hurting mine and I have been caught in some really heavy rain before. If I see them starting to get soaked I just turn the stereo off and let them dry out.

The spacers are some that I picked out on ebay. I will have to go back and look to see what I found. It seems like they are just regular 1" spacers for 5.1/4" speakers.

The speakers are the MCX42 and MCX52 Memphis speakers. They are around 100.00 a set. The older part number is MC42 and MC52. Make sure when you order them you get the same style grill on both of these sets. Because they have changed to a mesh grill. These are the MC42 and MC52 and have the older grill. Which I like better because it seems to be a little more forgiving when mounting. There is no difference in the MC and the MCX speakers. Only the grill has changed.

Each set has a crossover that has to be used. And the Speaker pods behind the headrest are the Memphis MCX60 6.75" which only comes with the mesh grill.

I am rundung these on the Alpine MRV-F300 4 Channel amp and I am using the Slingshots speaker outputs to drive the amps speaker lever inputs. This way I don't have to have a 12v amp turn on trigger. It automatically senses the audio and turns on.

I ran the ground from the amp to the seat bolt and the power is a 8 gauge wire with a 40 amp maxi fuse wired straight to the battery post.

• Hmmm..... I don't have spacers in mine.
    It screams. I can't turn the volume up past 10 on the factory radio.

Soooo maybe not ALL spakers need spacers!

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

No some speakers don't need spacers. Just the good ones. :D

You knew I wasn't going to let that go past me didn't ya... 8o

• I have just topped my last set larry.

I have just created a set of front factory pods with a 6.75" and 5.25" speakers! And if you notice the grill on the 5.25" is the same height as the 6.75" speaker. I am about to bolt the grill down on the 6.75"

These are the MCX60 and the MCX52 speakers.

As you can see the dogs were absolutely pivotal in the design of these. You can see how excited they are to be a part of the design team.

• OK, I am keeping my stock pods and will try to replicate your success! It would add an extra set of speakers and give a more comfortable outer surface to rest my leg on.

Nice work.

This was pretty much a nightmare. I warn u in advance. There is so much you have to cut to get these to fit.. You can definitely do it with a ton of patience .. I just wanted you to know it sucked to cut and fit them.

• yes. I am using the stock pods. It's just a lot of grinding of plastic spacers to fit the contour of the pods. And inside there are lots of things that have to either be snapped off of ground down to allow for the bigger speakers.

I would recommend the 5.25 and 4" for the beginner... Then later do the 6.75" and 5.25" speakers..

It's literally 2 times harder to do the 6.75" than the 5.25" swap.

You can see in this picture the contours that have to be matched.....