Pros and Cons

• You will be a rock star at 16 having this..
    You sounds like a very smart kid, so continue to be smart and when you get it, learn to dive it.
    It handles different than anything there is to drive, get into it slow and learn it before the teenager in you kicks in and you show off.
    I don't know if I missed it, are you going to garage if?
    It is decently waterproof but if you Mod it much look out and keep that in mind.
    It has almost no storage space.
    It's basically meant to be something you get in and have fun with and put up, not a daily driver.
    I got a 900cc bike when I was young as my only transportation despite what people said, and 2 years rode it everywhere. It had its moments of sucking ass, but I choose it and loved that bike.
    Best of luck to you, you I will love it, Just know the drawbacks you will have.
    Fun isn't one of them and safety isn't either. It's miles safer than a bike, only thing unsafe is the driver and that's up to you.

• Not to sound stupid, but I have been researching and debating on whether or not to purchase a slingshot slr. Im on the fence really and im concerned about the safety since I've read alot about problems with breaking and slingshots catching fire, even though im pretty sure its just bs. Any thoughts from any owners? Sorry if i sound inexperienced just wanted some advice especially since ive heard theyve been recalled a few times.
    Edit: Been working 3 jobs for 2 years to save for this car, dont want any regrets so can i make this my primary mode of transport, such as driving it long distance or on the highway

Like I stated above, this is not a primary mode of transport, I want to drive this point home. It is miserable to drive in cold and rain isn't much better. It has limited space. Driving in ice would insane, driving in really soaked roads is insane.
    So save for a $1000 beater sedan for those times and think of it as a MOD!!

The sling is amazing though and I would have cut off both Rab's nuts and mine to have one so young!

• I ride the Slingshot every day, which is the reason that I have 41,000 miles on it. If it is not raining when I leave the house the SS is the ride. The wife and I also take vacations with it ( no trailers allowed ) which is another reason for the high mileage. My other driver is a 1998 Pontiac TA of which I have only run out 5 tanks of gas in it since this time last year. Yes, being in South Carolina I ride year round @BONES. So @Skapoor go ahead and buy the SS and enjoy, I have been riding since May, of 1964. As to the storage on the SS, the first summer with it we took 5 trips with it with two of those more than 5 days. Last year I built some luggage racks so now we have a little more flexibility with the storage.

• @Skapoor, welcome! You've been given lots of good info, but trust me, the SS is still fun without all the mods - they are so tempting though! I've watched a lot of owners acquire mods at rallies and they are like a bunch of kids at Christmas! You appear to be smart about money so I think you'll have your priorities straight. Biggest mod I have had done was Welter exhaust. Along with rooftop, be sure to compare windshields. Hoping insurance won't be a killer for you - I have grandsons about your age so I know how expensive it can be. I did a 9,000 miles round trip cross country last fall and loved it - with stock seats which I prefer due to their firmness. I don't have the kick of a turbo, but I still like to go fast! You couldn't ask for a better bunch than this for help, but don't listen to them about speeds of triple digits! That'll just get you in trouble. :D Oh, and the stock radio is pretty much garbage. Once the exhaust was installed, I found I can hear it on certain types of pavement.

• Does the type of pavement greatly influence performance? Like if the roads old and worn will ot influence the handling?

Well sure, but so will brand new pavement. It tends to be slick. Gravel and leaves will also require you to change your driving behavior. We rode something called "The Rattler" at last year's Smokies rally. Freaking @TheRock and @BlackDeath were insanely fast even though conditions were less than optimal. There was gravel and brand new pavement involved. Moral of the story is, the Sling can handle insanity if the driver is insane and good enough.

• @Skapoor. Welcome and cudos for being so dedicated to purchasing what you want. At your age I purchased my first goldwing. A then brand new gl1000. Everyone thought I was crazy for getting such a big bike and I know that regardless of what any of us tell you, you're going to get it. So, that being said, about the only PAVED road you do not want to be going on is one with standing deep water. Unless you want to go for a real wild ride, best to just park and wait for heavy storms to pass. Other than that, do what everyone here is suggesting, get a base and go to town on mods. They are reliable and are relatively easy to service so that should save you a few dollars.
    So, go out and get one, take a deep breath and take it all in then relax and enjoy the attention cause you're going to get a whole lot of it.
    :thumbup:

There's a few road trip threads out there describing experiences on long distance rides. Heres a link to one I took. Look at @Slingshot Garage posting. He took an even longer trip. So these things are more than capable of travel.
    I finally took a real road trip with my SS

Good luck.