UK_Paul's - Slingshot Build & Other Adventures -

• Hello Paul,
    you're in a much better situation than me: it isn't just the radio which causes trouble...my "brake issue lamp" started to flash now 3 weeks ago but I don't get a date to repair it til 17.05. In this time I'm not availible so the next date will be 29.05....that mean I can't run my vehicle over 2 month...Polaris Service Germany told me also I have to contact my dealer, they are out. Now I got a box with both sensors and seals inside from my dealer and directly the bill about €160.-(roundabout $170.-, the price in USA is $80.-). I directly called them if I'm allowed to install the sensors by myself but the answer made me totally pissed off: in case I install them by myself the warrenty will be deleted.I wait now til 29.05. if all my open points are sucsessfully closed, otherwise I'll visit my lawer.
    My opinion is: a great idea behind this vehicle but the dealers are completely overwhelmed with this new product...it's a pitty.

@mondanai, not sure why you have to pay for warranty parts!?!?

• Hello Paul,
    you're in a much better situation than me: it isn't just the radio which causes trouble...my "brake issue lamp" started to flash now 3 weeks ago but I don't get a date to repair it til 17.05. In this time I'm not availible so the next date will be 29.05....that mean I can't run my vehicle over 2 month...Polaris Service Germany told me also I have to contact my dealer, they are out. Now I got a box with both sensors and seals inside from my dealer and directly the bill about €160.-(roundabout $170.-, the price in USA is $80.-). I directly called them if I'm allowed to install the sensors by myself but the answer made me totally pissed off: in case I install them by myself the warrenty will be deleted.I wait now til 29.05. if all my open points are sucsessfully closed, otherwise I'll visit my lawer.
    My opinion is: a great idea behind this vehicle but the dealers are completely overwhelmed with this new product...it's a pitty.

Things are moving on, with my problem.

It looks like Polaris are trying to insist that "all contact" is made through the dealer.
    They also insist that the SlingShot is returned to the dealer for checking out at the cost of testing owner. - This US requiment may be infringing European law, as the ability to do this "at reasonable cost" is prohibited by the lack of distributors, in Britain (only 3 companies) my desler is approx 300+ miles Roudham trip. Polaris insist that this is all at my expence. The cost of one trip would enable me to replace the equipment with a higher spec Chinese radio (with rear camara, sat nav & DAB+).

I have spoken with British "Trading Standards" and my leagal representative. They (Trading Standards) sugest that if this is pushed further then they may restrict import of the product to Britain (and so Europe). This radio is a standard item fitted to all EU vheicals and so could also stop the import of SlingShots into the EU. This is still way off but they say I have a good case.

This may be the only way to get Polaris to get up and act like reasonable people and fix the product. They appear to now be creating rather than solving problems, with the attitude that are taking. As said many times before "It's just a dam radio." (But a $2,200 radio that dose not work).

I have a meeting with BBC TV soon to discuss a possible feature questioning why a £2,500 radio doesn't recive more than one radio station. They love the look of the Slingshot and think it would be a great twist.

Who knows...
    Top Gear may, at last, have it on the show, but for all the wrong reasons.

All the best, from UK_Paul

Edited 2 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• @UK_Paul: If you need support in this case I'll beside you...also your analyse about the fact, that Polaris push all on the dealership (which is really rare in EU) I'll follow, cause I've the same feeling.
    @philip_mustang: About the cost's for the both switches: I won't pay anything till end of warranty in summer next year...but it shows a little bit the mentalaty of some dealers here. Also the price which is 300% higher than in the states, isn't acceptable > if I need spareparts in the future I'll order directly in the USA.Normal price +10% toll+ 19%tax+ shipping cost are much cheaper that 4 O- rings for €36.60... Same with the radio: I only got the information of an other dealer that the radio is adjustable...when I asked how I heard "the sound of silence". No reaction...
    Different dealer told me after a testride: Mushy brakes are totally normal but for 300 bugs on top I will get different brakepads (I guess hawk (market price here is $100 not 300))...When I told him that it is charateristic for air in the brake line when you have to press the brake pedal twice, he told me that he is the craftsman, not me :(

After my question "is it is safe to drive the SL with a brake failure alarm??" I heard >>> no..okay, than Polaris should pay the transport >>>no, I should drive carefully and slowly.
    Horrible answers!!!... and when you write this to Polaris Germany, they inform you to contact your dealer.

I thought that this american vehicle is a really great idea ,a high quality product with a good service and not cheap, nice painted China Products, lousy assembled and dropped on a market with untrained dealers. Isn't it? The regular price here in Germany is higher than € 29000.- (for a strange brake system, not proper working radio, a few major recalls and waiting time for a repair over 4 weeks)...a lot of money for such a trouble...for the same price you'll get a few lightly used sportscars...but I wanted this unique thing...let's fight for our rights!

BTW: lovely outfit Darth Vader!

• @mondanai
    You make good coments. This is a great and unique machine.

I will not make friends at Polaris, but I intend to fight for satisfaction.

Just a little help from them would have helped. But it may be instruction from Polaris EU & North Africa, based in Switzerland that has dictated "only through dealers" perhaps our American cousins can let us know if it's the same on the US.

• @dangerdarrell Great THX. Tomorrow I fly to Dubai and have a meeting with their local dealer....not about my problems but I'll talk also about the poor European Service. After my return I give the local dealer the chance to clear the case but I'm afraid that I won' be 100% satisfied...in case that this happens I'll try your phonenumbers. ...is there also a email adress availible? English isn't my mother language and it is much easier to explaine technical detail in a mail than via phone (sometimes I'm missing the right words).
    @UK_Paul The Polaris headquarter for the EU is in Switzerland which isn't a member of EU...interesting...the Import was legalizied in Spain (check your papers: E9 means Spain)...I heard about a big store in Belgium...sounds really international but who is responsible for customer care??? I'm afraid >>> only the single dealer...I don't like this idea.

• @mondanai
    I can confirm main European storage (and return for big/majour, recall - "back tp Polaris" - warranty work) is in Belgium. (It happend to the motorcycles).

EU & North Africa (possibly also middle east) operates out of Switzerland. Therfore Dubai may, perhaps, also report back to Switzerland. (I belive this is for tax).

I wish you well, with your trip and hope for success.

• @dangerdarrell Great THX. Tomorrow I fly to Dubai and have a meeting with their local dealer....not about my problems but I'll talk also about the poor European Service. After my return I give the local dealer the chance to clear the case but I'm afraid that I won' be 100% satisfied...in case that this happens I'll try your phonenumbers. ...is there also a email adress availible?

Difficult to find on the phone and my wife and I are at a restaurant right now. I'll see what I can find as soon as I get home and get back on my computer.

• @dangerdarrell Great THX. Tomorrow I fly to Dubai and have a meeting with their local dealer....not about my problems but I'll talk also about the poor European Service. After my return I give the local dealer the chance to clear the case but I'm afraid that I won' be 100% satisfied...in case that this happens I'll try your phonenumbers. ...is there also a email adress availible? English isn't my mother language and it is much easier to explaine technical detail in a mail than via phone (sometimes I'm missing the right words).
    @UK_Paul The Polaris headquarter for the EU is in Switzerland which isn't a member of EU...interesting...the Import was legalizied in Spain (check your papers: E9 means Spain)...I heard about a big store in Belgium...sounds really international but who is responsible for customer care??? I'm afraid >>> only the single dealer...I don't like this idea.

You seem to do VERY well expressing yourself in English! :thumbup:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Ok guys. This is a copy of an email reply I got from Polaris regarding my side panel and hood panel replacement parts that they agreed to warranty. Maybe this will help:

CSResolution <CS.Resolution@polaris.com>
    6/17/16

Hello Darrell,

I have reviewed your pictures with our Technical Service Department and we will provide a goodwill approval for replacing the panels on your hood. Your dealer has been notified of this decision. If you have any questions please call us at 1-800-765-2747 referencing case #3715413.

Respectfully,
    Kai

Kai | Consumer Resolutions
    Consumer Services | 2100 Highway 55. | Medina, MN 55422
    P: 1-800-765-2747
    CS.Resolutionl@polaris.com | polaris.com

• @mondanai
    I can confirm main European storage (and return for big/majour, recall - "back tp Polaris" - warranty work) is in Belgium. (It happend to the motorcycles).

EU & North Africa (possibly also middle east) operates out of Switzerland. Therfore Dubai may, perhaps, also report back to Switzerland. (I belive this is for tax).

I wish you well, with your trip and hope for success.

Are you both sure about the main storage being in Belgium?

I really haven't heard anything about that!

There are 2 stores here, one in Temse (Bikes and More) and one in Gouvy (Motokaiser). The last one is in the french speaking part Wallonie. The first one is where I test rode the Slingshot but I felt like they were obligated from Polaris to let me ride it because they weren't really friendly.
    After the testdrive I send an email to thank them once again for the trust to let me drive it and I asked some questions. Still waiting on that reply.
    And I thought if they didn't seemed to care a lot about clients that were thinking about buying one, than how would they act afterwards if there was some kind of problem.
    That was the reason why I bought mine in the Netherlands, from a dealer who is real close with the importcompagnie. It was actually a demo Polaris Benelux (BElgium NEtherlands LUXembourg) used on different shows.

I have no idea if they have something to do with other european countries but the importers for the Benelux are JEEGEE in the Netherlands.

• @philip_mustang: I got the confirmation from 2 different dealers that the central store is located in Belgium. Slowly I get the feeling that Polaris here in Europe isn't really interested in selling the Slingshot. That will also explain that they didn't spend any money in comercials, don't get in touch with any kind of customers... I heard that EU got 200 SL models 2016.5 and we se now, that only a few are sold. The price is much higher than in the States: for example Austria € 36.000.- compaired to Germany with € 29900.- for exact the same model (only SL and SL LE are availible). Perhaps Polaris in Medina don't know what really happens here in EU and why they don't sell it here...

@mytoy THX for your "motivation" :evil:

• @philip_mustang: I got the confirmation from 2 different dealers that the central store is located in Belgium. Slowly I get the feeling that Polaris here in Europe isn't really interested in selling the Slingshot. That will also explain that they didn't spend any money in comercials, don't get in touch with any kind of customers... I heard that EU got 200 SL models 2016.5 and we se now, that only a few are sold. The price is much higher than in the States: for example Austria € 36.000.- compaired to Germany with € 29900.- for exact the same model (only SL and SL LE are availible). Perhaps Polaris in Medina don't know what really happens here in EU and why they don't sell it here...

@mytoy THX for your "motivation" :evil:

Well this is the first thing I've heard about Belgium being some kind of central location. If you could obtain some more info I could try and check it out.

I think the big difference in price between the EU is partial caused by the TVA. Germany is 19%, we have 21%, ...
    Another thing is the money to get it on the road. Like in the netherland the "roadtax BPM" is quitte expensive. There you need to pay €36.000 for the slingshot and €31.000 in Belgium for the same thing.
    Maybe the European Homologation makes it also more expensive than the US models.

Is it all logic? Hell no. Europe is mostly considered as one union and in theory it is but in real life its one big mess. Each country still has it own rules and obligations and makes it very hard to compare one to another.

At first I wanted to buy one in the US and import it myself.
    It would be a bit cheaper but not that much at the end. To pass the TUV homologation would alone be around €3.000 euro and they couldn't even confirm that it would be able to pass due to the new regulation since januari 2017.
    Another negative thing would have been warranty. US warranty is not covered overseas.
    So all these questions made it more intresting to spend a bit more money but at least have the certainty to get it on the road and legal possibilties if something was wrong with it.

Just came back from my first "long" 3h trip. It was cold (11°C) and very windy but I loved it all the way.

• Phillip, you are 100% right. I had the same idea to import by myself a basic version without entertainment console and upgrade it...but the registration and missing warranty let me buy an official one...with not proper working equipment and nobody who takes care about warranty...that the reason to be angry for me and I guess also for UK Paul.