UK_Paul's - Slingshot Build & Other Adventures -

• One thing for everyone to be aware of, if purchasing the stainless steel cup holders, is that they are a slightly bigger diameter than the Polaris items. This will require a slight enlargement to the holders, to fit them in.

It's not a big job. I used a "hole cutter."

I chose one just a little smaller than needed and then filed out to the correct size, ensuring that things were a tight (interference) fit. That way they don't need the adhesive strip under the rim and they still will not pop out, while driving.

I ran the + lead along the side of the tunnel, under the painted, body coloured covering, and into the centure console, where I connected it to a feed coming off a switch for the Polaris footwell lights.

I then drilled a small hole (approx 2-3mm) into the frame of the SlingShot under the cup holders and connected the - lead to earth.

This setup works well. I went for a 90+ mile run today in weather ranging from dry 19'C to very wet 11'C. A little heat was noticed from the engine & exhaust (negligible) in the body of the cup holders and I had no water problems shorting anything out (they are drsigned for fitting in boats).

Very happy with the results.
    :00008040:

All the best, from UK_Paul

• Some more minor additions today:

I went out yesterday to pick up a few little accessories, to add to the SlinShot.

Titanium, Stainless Steel, Aluminium Fasteners & Motorcycle Bolts | ProBolt

They were just a few cups and buttons to dress some of the bolts on the SS..

The first job was to finish off the bolts holding the rear view mirrors in place.

I wasn't happy with the stainless steel bolts, holding the top box racks, in place so they got, both, cups and buttons, fitted around them to give them a better look.

Some nice red bolts were added to hold the racks in place.

Over all the results finished the SS off with a much more attractive look than had been the case a couple of days ago.

The look matches perfectly with the finish or the uprated hood lovers, from SlingMods.

Edited 3 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• Polaris Britain mess up again!!!!!!

Polaris Britain are happily putting out incorrect information on the official UK site. It may look as if it's just me picking at the lack of ability that the British management have, to do their jobs correctly, but in reality it a rather important new legislative point that I'm commenting on.

It is a little sad that they are still showing some ineptitude, with regards to marketing the SlingShot in Britain. The latest mistake is in the comments for licence requirements in Britain (also applicable in some other EU countries).

They have not made it clear what sort of licence is now required, to ride a SlingShot in Britain, as the rules changed on the 19thJanuary, this year!!

Polaris clearly state:
    "DRIVER MAY NEED A VALID MOTORCYCLE ENDORSEMENT"

Unfortunately this is not correct use of the English language, in this context, in the UK, for what they are trying to tell people. Firstly, an "ENDORSEMENT" is what is issued against you when you break British motoring laws. - Penalty points (endorsements) - GOV.UK - If you get too many endorsements you loose your licence. This is unlike the US where it refers to an accreditation on a licence. (A very different meaning altogether).

Additionally, any new drivers/riders gaining a new licence after 19th January this year must have a full, "A" category motorcycle licence to ride a SlingShot. (Exceptions apply, and it's complicated procedure to gain the "A" category licence now). - Riding a motorcycle, moped or motor tricycle: Bike categories, ages and licence requirements - GOV.UK - Historically a SlingShot could be driven with a car licence.

Very importantly, some people are required to renew their licence on a regular basis in Britain, (often for medical reasons, typically 3-5 year intervals). When this is done then the categories will be revised to the latest regulations and people that may believe they are still allowed to legally ride a SlingShot will no longer qualify.

It is interesting to see that no one has taken the time to correct the details on the British site and it appears that they have just done a copy & paste job from the US site.

That's the latest rant at Polaris Britain finished with, for now. (Yes they really did p1$$ me, with the radio).They need to check out what the law says about licensing of people to use the product that they are selling and also, learn how to speak English, correctly, in the country they are trying to sell it. It's easy to pick faults with people but this sort of fundemental mistake should not happen.

Perhaps a revision to read the following:
    "PLEASE ENSURE THAT ALL RELEVANT VEHICLE & DRIVER LICENSING REQUIREMENTS ARE MET." - Simple and correct -

Edited 2 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• Joy of joys again today.

The dam radio stopped working, while out for a ride today. Everything just packed in. I checked the fuse and it looks fine. No doubt Polaris Britain will want me to drive the 300 mile round trip to check out if it has a loose connection.

:00007505:

• Well, the radio packing in yesterday was a blessing in disguise.

I knew what had been triggering the fault in the radio and therefore subsequently causing it to reset, to the US configeraltion. The latest failure enabled me to identify, exactly, where this fault is located in the system. (Not just what the fault is).

This dam radio is absolutely useless!!! Now that I finally have all the information that I need, I will be organising a decent replacement for it, that works correctly.

Work started yesterday on the mounting designs, for the new radio assembly, (to then be followed by some 8-10 hrs of 3D printing) moulds will be made from this, for the replacement parts. If things go well with this then the "Magical" Tech Guys will be putting things together soon after that. I suspect we will have a 3-6 week time period, before the final unit is finished.

When it's all finished and ready, it's going to be able to check out and opperate so many things, in and arround the SlingShot, i susoect that I'll need to go on a collage course to get a qualification to use it all correctly.

Some of the apps I'll need have been installed on my phone, for me; now, (so I can practice) but the new radio will have everything installed directly onto (and into) it allong with a few special extra hardware fittings added. I just hope I have enough room behind the dashboard for it all.

I then wonder, if , when I'm showing the SlingShot at different events this year, I should hang the Polaris head unit on a pole with a £2,500 price tag on It.

Edited 2 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• The engine is starting to get dressed a little now to hide some of the extra working that's going in for the replacement radio and monitoring systems.

I decided to hide some of the changes, "in full veiw" so I have gone for a very subtle RED look.

This now makes it look like someone has tipped a bucket full of red vipers, into the engine bay.

If you look very, very closely indeed, you can just see one of the transmitter airials for sending the security/alarm system, information, to to me, when I'm away from the vehicle. (It took me two days of looking under the hood to find it myself - Yes, someone else that knew just what they were doing fitted the security parts for me - I just made everything turn red).
    :whistling:

Edited 3 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• @UK_Paul you should have a package by now..... :D

It just arrived, a little time ago!
    :00002485:

Many thanks!

It's just in time for the trip to BikeFest in Ireland.
    - Killarney - Ireland BikeFest -
    I'll be taking all the great stuff with me and so expect lots of pictures of your "Foreign Correspondent" in SlingShotInfo.com shirts.

• YES!

BikeFest in Ireland will be receiving a visit from the UK_Paul, SlingShot, this year. At this time no SlingShots have yet been sold in Ireland. So this should raise a few looks as it travels around the beautiful town of Killarney and other parts of this beautiful country.

Last year the SlingShot was on display, at one of the stands, at the show.

This year we will be taking it back and taking part in the big did, through the town.

Everything is booked up and we'll also be traveling up through the country and into Dublin, before returning home to the UK.

Watch this space for reports on the event and our additional adventures.

Don't forget that we also expect to experience some of the great Irish weather...

OH Yes... rain is forecast, for the whole time that we are in the country.
    :00008643:

Edited once, last by UK_Paul ().