Which Octane/gas do you use? Additives?

• Hi all, I use 93 octane at all times (from my understanding, it is a cleaner fuel and better for the engine? Amateur hour over here...) I've never used additives or anything they will say to put in your system, but I WAS curious as to if anyone has/does use them?

If so, would you mind explaining why as well as what you use? Looking to maintain this beast as best as possible.

Thanks!

• Hi all, I use 93 octane at all times (from my understanding, it is a cleaner fuel and better for the engine? Amateur hour over here...) I've never used additives or anything they will say to put in your system, but I WAS curious as to if anyone has/does use them?

If so, would you mind explaining why as well as what you use? Looking to maintain this beast as best as possible.

Thanks!

The only additive that I us is the Lucas gas treatment about every 3,000 miles to keep the injectors clean. I have been using this product since 1988 at least and I have never had an injector problem in any of my vehicles.

• Been using their "fuel" for years in all vehicles. Don't know the octane rating but never had a knocking problem. Seems to keep the fuel system clean too. Just keep open sparks away from it. :00007505::00007505::00007505:

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

• personally i hate lucas's products since back in the late 90's it killed an Alfa Romeo Spider which i adored , it had a bad reaction with the oil and pretty much locked the engine due to sludge.

Whether that was a freak of nature type of thing or bad oil or whatever i don't know, all i know is that it happened after the oil change + lucas treatment.

If you need to clean or just to do it once in a while Seafoam will work wonders on injectors,shitty carburetor(revives my vintage Triumph every time) or engines that have sludge and you need to do a flush.

I put seafoam on anything that will be stored, i do not empty the gas tanks unlike a lot of people, because IMNHO condensation/moisture will do more harm to the empty tanks than having a full tank+seafoam.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• As I was told by a good mechanic friend. Higher octane is the result of advanced timing in the tuning on this GM engine. Always used that in my bikes as well. Sea foam is also a great cleaner.

Also for places like here in MN/WI where all gas stations have 10% to 15% Ethanol using anything but premium is like asking for trouble, hell even the premium we get around here is quite shitty(91 Oct in most instances), everytime i hear people talking about 93/94 Oct makes me jealous.

I know down south you can get gas without ethanol but i don't know of any gas station here that doesn't have it.

• Also for places like here in MN/WI where all gas stations have 10% to 15% Ethanol using anything but premium is like asking for trouble, hell even the premium we get around here is quite shitty(91 Oct in most instances), everytime i hear people talking about 93/94 Oct makes me jealous.
    I know down south you can get gas without ethanol but i don't know of any gas station here that doesn't have it.

have you ever seen this website? Just a quick glance at the map seems to show some options for non ethanol fuel.

Pure-Gas.org : Map of Ethanol-Free Gas Stations in the U.S. and Canada

• Nope never new about it, but just glancing at it i can tell that at least one of the places that supposedly carries it, does not and in fact has shitty gasoline according to my fuelly fuelup reports(freedom value gas station in 61N)

Bit i am for sure try to keep an eye and aim to get ethanol free if i can now.

Thanks K2

• That could have been very possible, according to what oil you were using and how bad the engine was sludged up. I worked in an ESSO station back in the day all three of their oils sludged real bad. The low grade was just Esso, the medium grade was the Esso Extra and the premium was Uniflow. The worst stuff I had ever seen to sludge up even with regular oil changes. There is another brand that is still out there that was just as bad. If you bought one of their cars/trucks they would give you free oil changes for a couple of years. This sh-- was bad. If you added let us say Texaco Haveline to it, it turned to the visocity of syurp

• Here is something else for you. What ever happened to the law suit that the outdoor, marine and the auto industries filed against the federal goverment about the use of ethanol in the gas and the damage it was doing to the engines/motor.

There was a class action lawsuit in 2008, filed in FL on behalf of a bunch of boaters who said it damaged their engines, naming all the major oil companies. Not familiar with one filed against the federal government. I'll have to go look that up.

• I just filled the wife's 2012 Chev. Equinox up by mistake with 93 octane non ethanol gas. That is what I put in all my stuff. She uses the cheapest shit she can buy. Anyway I drove it 120 miles and could not believe the difference in the way it ran. So while the wife is laid up I am going to keep filling it up with the 93 and start checking the gas mileage just to see what the mileage will be.

• I just filled the wife's 2012 Chev. Equinox up by mistake with 93 octane non ethanol gas. That is what I put in all my stuff. She uses the cheapest shit she can buy. Anyway I drove it 120 miles and could not believe the difference in the way it ran. So while the wife is laid up I am going to keep filling it up with the 93 and start checking the gas mileage just to see what the mileage will be.

We don't have any high-test non-ethanol close to hand around here without getting into the racing fuel, but when we move to SC this spring, supposedly there are a lot more options. I'm looking forward to it for exactly the same reasons, just hope it's not too ridiculously priced.

• I finally found a place that has it and its near me, let me says i was rather shocked when I saw the 69 cents premium for 91 oct non ethanol over 91 oct with 10% which is also 31 cent higher than costco's 91 oct bringing the total to $1/gal extra for non ethanol gas.

For a N/A bike seems like ethanol fuel with seafoam/3months will do the trick.

• I finally found a place that has it and its near me, let me says i was rather shocked when I saw the 69 cents premium for 91 oct non ethanol over 91 oct with 10% which is also 31 cent higher than costco's 91 oct bringing the total to $1/gal extra for non ethanol gas.

For a N/A bike seems like ethanol fuel with seafoam/3months will do the trick.

yeah, that might be a bit high. If it's that bad, I'll stick with a half a small bottle of Lucas with each Slingshot tank (Walmart, $3.68/ea), which has been doing fine for me.

• yeah, that might be a bit high. If it's that bad, I'll stick with a half a small bottle of Lucas with each Slingshot tank (Walmart, $3.68/ea), which has been doing fine for me.

My 98 Pontiac TA would not even run with the eth. 91 oct. sounded like a diesel. I was using Lucas gas treatment and octane boost in every tank just to get it to halfway run. So tell me about the high cost of the non eth. and the gas mileage I was not getting and your goverment telling us that octane and eth. do not make any difference in how your car runs. That my friends is total BS.

• My 98 Pontiac TA would not even run with the eth. 91 oct. sounded like a diesel. I was using Lucas gas treatment and octane boost in every tank just to get it to halfway run. So tell me about the high cost of the non eth. and the gas mileage I was not getting and your goverment telling us that octane and eth. do not make any difference in how your car runs. That my friends is total BS.

Hear, hear! :thumbsup: