Hurricane Hermine

• Just a shout out to all the folks in the path of this storm. I know there are a lot of you in its path. After living through Rita and Ike I know how devastating these storms can be. Hope all in its way stay safe and suffer minimal damage!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Hermine made landfall about 20 miles from our ranch. While it ripped up historic coastal town Cedar Key with an 11-foot storm surge, our property/region was relatively unscathed. Lots of minor damage, but nothing horrible. Our animals all survived, as did our buildings. We are very flood-resistant due to the excellent drainage of the sandy soil, and the surrounding lush forest likely dampened the high winds to a degree.

As we are 2000 miles away in Vail at SSITR right now, it was a very sleepless night for us as we awaited reports from the front back in Florida. Our wonderful neighbors, friends, family and employees all rose to the occasion, keeping our place safe and sound through the storm. Sure am glad I replaced the roof a couple years ago, along with the rotted lower course of plywood sheeting and rotted soffit boards, not to mention rebuilding many rotted-off ceiling joist ends...Florida's wet conditions had really taken their toll on the place. Had I not rehabilitated it all, there's no doubt Hermine would have peeled the roof and likely ruined the entire interior of our home.

Now we all must hold tight as Hermine makes her destructive way north. Prayers and hope for all in her path.

• I received pics of the damage in my area of Florida (Zephyrhills). Lots of trees and branches down. Carports and roofs damaged. However I was lucky in that no damage to my place!! Caught a break there. Many of my neighbours were not so fortunate. By coincidence we bought tickets a couple weeks ago to fly there (from NS) this coming Wed to do some house renos. Glad it can still be renos rather than a post hurricane cleanup!!!

• I looked up Cedar Key on a map. Looks like a good place to visit next winter. An easy day trip from home.Hermine expected to arrive in NS later this week? But usually by the time hurricanes make it this far north its just a storm.