The luckiest SOB today! Eaton S/C

• I'm the luckiest SOB today..... for anyone who does not know the Eaton Supercharger used in the 2002-2006 Mini Cooper S have one minor design flow. A simple seal that leaks oil out of the PTO located at the back of the motor that drives the water pump. The seal allows the oil used to keep the PTO gears alive to leak out (sucked out) over time into the intake. The result is a replacement of the S/C at about 80k and if lucky 120k... well my son's Mini has over 170k and the S/C has never been serviced. It's expensive and a royal PITA. Figured I was going so deep I would risk being upset. A rebuild cost $950 for the best and only if in good shape. When you remove the S/C you remove a drain plug and hope for any oil. Black is even good as long as you have some. Well looky here... damn good looking oil for 170K.... laugh-squared
    I think I even jumped up and down I was so happy...

Now if the head is not wrapped I'll be golden

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

Edited once, last by Ruptured Duck ().

• @Dave@DDMWorks tell me about it. Been biting nails up until I had it out to check. It's more like 180k on that S/C.

Now all it have to worry about will be the head. Fingers crossed it's true.

When done I will have replaced the head gasket, serviced the S/C with all new gaskets. All CV boots replaced, new thermostat and seal along with all the other , you should do while your in there stuff. It got a new clutch and all new front tierods and ball joints about 3000 miles ago. When done should last him until he gets a real job and can buy something for himself. I have done my job.

She is kinda ugly at the moment. Open heart surgery is not a pretty thing.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• @Dave@DDMWorks will double check but it was serviced with the clutch 3000 miles ago. It was leaking at that time. Wonder if it's in the gasket kit i ordered ?

Will be replacing the water pump and the timing chain tensioner as well.

Having the alternator tested as well. Other than the head and the S/C I'm always amazed at how cheap parts are for it.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Most of the "S" will put around 150-155hp at the wheels and the JCW or "S" with a pulley swap will put around 170hp at the wheels, give or take a little bit depending. With headwork and some cams you can get well into the 200's at the wheels, twincharge setups will take you much higher than that also. One the track they are a fun little car and can hang with much more expensive machinery with a good driver behind the wheel.

• more dismantling tonight. No rush until this weekend... received the full gasket kit and S/C oil. Cleaned up the supercharger and added the new oil. Done and set to the side.
    Made a paper template for a removal tool I need to weld up to remove the cam sprocket bolt. Head should come off tomorrow. Next big hurdle will be if the head is good... fingers crossed .

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• well... the luck continues. The head is true. No warping to be found. Straight edge check diagonally edge to edge, along the back and front and then across piston, valves. LED light from behind and no light could be seen... :thumbsup:8o:D:rolleyes:

Now for a little test. Who can tell me where the head gasket was leaking. Water had been slowly gassing away and was not until last Friday that it started to pressurize the cooling system. I used a mild solvent cleaner on the valves...

The cross hatching on the cylinder walls all look great for 180k

Now the cleaning and reassembling begins.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• well my luck just ran out.... after cleaning the head found what happened. Was not blown head gasket.... the head has a crack that caused the lost coolant and the system being pressurized. Didn't show up until it was cleaned. Now the search is on for a replacement head. sad-squared

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• well my luck just ran out.... after cleaning the head found what happened. Was not blown head gasket.... the head has a crack that caused the lost coolant and the system being pressurized. Didn't show up until it was cleaned. Now the search is on for a replacement head. sad-squared

Well, THAT sucks!!!

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• almost to the valve..... straight into the water jacket. Will be checking with Way Motors here in Atlanta first.... then maybe eBay for a head. Anywhere from $500 -$3000
    Just need it to last him may e a year so a good rake-off head will be in order.

(Slingshot Owners Group)