Help with hub adapter & Dorman Clockspring

• Hello all. Tried searching, no joy. Replacing my clockspring (horn quit and getting lots of snap crackle & pop with wheel turning) with the Dorman 525-108 as suggested by a few threads I found. I was looking for some install instructions, ideally a video, but found nothing.

I know I have to cut off the plug and put on spades. There's no positive/negative here right? Just closing an electrical loop.

I'm assuming I'll know how the new one goes in once I get the old one out and I've read not to pull that little tab out until it's in. Anything else I should know?

I had put on an NRG wheel with DDMworks hub a few months ago and am guessing I might have over tightened it...but the wheel wants to turn when installing the nut so it was difficult to get the torque right.

Thanks! and ride safe.

• I dont know anything about the clock spring, but when I installed my DDMWorks hub I attached the steering wheel with the screws just hand tight to the hub so that I could hold the wheel and keep it from turning when I torqued the nut for the hub. this kept everything from turning - then I removed the steering wheel and installed the horn button and wires and then reinstalled it. - not only did this give me a grip to make the torquing easier, but it also made sure the clock spring stayed lined up with cutout in the hub so that the spring did not get damaged by crushing

this is the only time I have ever installed a hub like this, but so far it seems I must have done something right - horn still works and steering wheel is not crooked - (I was a bit worried about having to pull it off and adjusting if I messed up)

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• CHIEFP

Changed the title of the thread from “Help with Dorman Clockspring” to “Help with hub adapter Dorman Clockspring”.
  • CHIEFP

Changed the title of the thread from “Help with hub adapter Dorman Clockspring” to “Help with hub adapter & Dorman Clockspring”.
  • So I thought I could figure this out once I saw it. But I can't get the DDMworks hub adapter off. I put the wheel back on (minus bolt of course) and jerked until my arms were sore...no joy. How do you get this thing off? lol

I would use a steering wheel puller. I bought one when I removed my factory wheel and it would also work to remove my DDM hub

• You should be able to borrow a steering wheel puller at a local car parts store, paying a deposit equal to buying it and get your money back when you return it. IIRC, I had to get some different screws to fit the Polaris design on my 2015.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• You should be able to buy a steering wheel puller at a local car parts store and get your money back when you return it. IIRC, I had to get some different screws to fit the Polaris design on my 2015.

many auto parts stores like auto zone also lend tools so it might be worth making a phone call or to to se if someone near you has a steering wheel puller

• After successfully swapping the steering wheel a couple times with the clock spring still working, I somehow screwed up the clock spring the next time I tried a new steering wheel. Given the clock spring cost, I decided to install a momentary contact switch in the steering column connecting the original connections supplying the clock spring to the switch. Not as convenient to use as the original horn switch, but total cost was less than $15, IIRC.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• After successfully swapping the steering wheel a couple times with the clock spring still working, I somehow screwed up the clock spring the next time I tried a new steering wheel. Given the clock spring cost, I decided to install a momentary contact switch in the steering column connecting the original connections supplying the clock spring to the switch. Not as convenient to use as the original horn switch, but total cost was less than $15, IIRC.

In the last 5 years I have probably honked the horn perhaps 6 times - 4 of which were after installing my new steering wheel to test it - as such if my clock spring were to become damaged I would most likley do exactly what you did

• If the salesman demonstrated the horn, I must have forgotten. I know where the audio buttons are and used cruise control once but don't recall seeing a horn button. LOL