The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about my last couple of months with my new turbo

• My fear lies in bad fuel. We have it all over the place around here and the farther you get out - some of the roads I like to ride best - the better chances of getting the really bad stuff.

At some point I would like more juice so I cannot blame anyone that is going for it but for now even with just a CAI, header and exhaust its easy to get tickets...

• Gas is a real concern. I "try" to only fill up at name brand stations. But it's almost impossible to do that every time. And I know each pump has a screw on filter to catch particles. I still won't fill up at a station that I can see receiving gas from a tanker... I just think about water and other stuff being swirled around.

And remember ,,,,, if you get off somewhere and are running low you can put a few gallons of regular old 87 octane unleaded in. Just keep your foot out of the gas till you can fill up with super unleaded... If u have a boost gauge try to keep it in the vacuum side and you will be ok till you get that gas completely out of the system... It will take a couple of fill ups of 92/93 octane to purge it all out.

• Gas is a real concern. I "try" to only fill up at name brand stations. But it's almost impossible to do that every time. And I know each pump has a screw on filter to catch particles. I still won't fill up at a station that I can see receiving gas from a tanker... I just think about water and other stuff being swirled around.

And remember ,,,,, if you get off somewhere and are running low you can put a few gallons of regular old 87 octane unleaded in. Just keep your foot out of the gas till you can fill up with super unleaded... If u have a boost gauge try to keep it in the vacuum side and you will be ok till you get that gas completely out of the system... It will take a couple of fill ups of 92/93 octane to purge it all out.

I normally fill up at QT(quiktrip)

• All this talk about gas - someone missed an opportunity.

I have been using 89 non-ethanol gas to keep the corn syrup out of the engine.

If I go higher octane, then it can be or is typically up to 10% ethanol.

I don't have higher, non-ethanol octane choices.

Should we go with highest octane regardless of ethanol content?

• IMHO, yes. You are 1000% correct that the ethanol stuff that we're forced to purchase is trash if it sits longer than 5 minutes in your take (ok, they say 30 days, but it IS shit fuel). But the engine requires the proper octane to protect it from harmful detonations that will distroy any engine. Add a turbo to one, and it becomes even more prone to failure if you don't have enough octane. The factory MINIMUM specs is 91 octane, and that's not the easiest to find in all places I always use 93 which is readily available at most stations. The stations that don't have the 93, usually do have the 91. So when I'm traveling out of the area, I always take a container of octane booster to make sure I'm safe. As Rab says, if you HAVE to get gas and you have to use less octane thatn you're comfortable with, stay out of boost as much as possible and fill up with the good stuff as soon as possible. Even if you do run 93 octane, keep this in mind. - if you refuel with 89 octane to a 3/4 empty tank in the slingshot, you end up having a true 90 octane. It will take you over the next 4 tank full of good 93 octane gas to get you back to that level.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Ethanol isn't completely terrible unless you were storing your slingshot for periods over 30 days. It is destructive on several levels when it has time to sit and turn stagnate... But if you are burning it every weekend it will be fine to run it and leave it sitting in the garage till the next weekend...

I agree with everything that @funinthesun said....

I will add this.... if you do add octane booster to 87 octane gas to get by till you can get premium just pretend that you didn't add it and drive it gently. Octane booster will give you some extra comfort when getting to the next station...

• I have thought about that very thing for a while, wondered if carrying 104 octane booster in storage area is worth it, been on some long rides and have had no choice but to use 90 octane. Will 104 booster really help? Trying not to use boost with me is like telling a kid not to eat candy out of a bowl sitting in front of him....

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• I have thought about that very thing for a while, wondered if carrying 104 octane booster in storage area is worth it, been on some long rides and have had no choice but to use 90 octane. Will 104 booster really help? Trying not to use boost with me is like telling a kid not to eat candy out of a bowl sitting in front of him....

Joe, I don't think we are as susceptible to the problems the Turbo's have. The bog down pre-ignition is not really a factor because our boost is related to RPM. Don't get me wrong, good high octane fuel directly effects performance.

• Thank for reply ! I know I'm not pushing anything near 400hp but I still want to keep things safe if I can.
    I have a lot of Old school in me and now it's all electronic controlled... I fell behind this learning curve for quite a while, hard to play catch up and sift through Forums for facts, not thoughts...

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• I don't think I would add octane booster (even with the correct ratio as shown on the bottle) and depend on it to keep your engine safe just like premium 92 or 93 octane gas. There are other additives in gas that may not be in that bottle... Just use the bottle of octane as a slight insurance policy to limp to the next station....