New Boss Audio Double-Din MARINE Radio MRCP9865A

• Frankie55 sure does some nice wiring. Puts my wiring to shame. But I did purchase some loom today and a heat gun to replace a lighter to heat shrink. Hooked up battery via jumper cables to see if my wiring to date works. Happy to report that all is well. Boss head unit lights up and rear camera works. Still waiting for parts to finish up.

Great, check out my post on what was todays sling project mods for a tip on alignment that may help in you are using the Scosche double din dash kit with visor.

• Already read it. I have the bracket up against the front of the head unit. Where did you trim?

At first, I had the bracket butted up against the head unit. That put my unit too far outside of the compartment. You may need to trim that part back so as to allow the unit to move further into the compartment (towards the engine). Your measurements may not be the same as all machines vary. On mine 12/32s was an extremely tight fit. You can do a quick check placing the dash on without any bolting and lining up the mount holes. then attempting to install the visor. you'll see what I mean that it's impossible to install the visor.

• I'm am at the point were I can test the install but without speakers yet. Love the Boss screen and android auto worked perfectly. I'm waiting on my amp and other parts to complete the install. Wife may freak out but I just ordered SSV pods and jl 6.5 speakers from SlingMods. Decided to do it right the first time. I'll let you know if all this was worth it.

• I'm am at the point were I can test the install but without speakers yet. Love the Boss screen and android auto worked perfectly. I'm waiting on my amp and other parts to complete the install. Wife may freak out but I just ordered SSV pods and jl 6.5 speakers from SlingMods. Decided to do it right the first time. I'll let you know if all this was worth it.

And the answer...but DEAR the speakers have been in my closet for a year....

• For anyone using an Android Auto radio, most of them are wired, meaning a USB cable must be connected to your Android phone to get the phone displayed on the big screen. There are several adapters for wirelessly connecting an iPhone to Apple car Play radios, but at the moment there are only 2 reliable wireless Android Auto adapters to connect an Android phone to an Android Auto radio. One can be found at https://www.cpeb.it/ and the other at https://carsifi.com/. Both of these adapters are self-contained unlike other adapters that require a software download to the radio, something that doesn't always work with a lot of Android Auto radios. Of the twp units I referenced, I think the Carsifi unit is a little more polished, although both are still under development/improvement. I do not know if either unit will work with the Boss radio. I've been researching these units so my Wife doesn't have to dig out her phone and connect a cable each time she gets in her car.

• After installing the Boss receiver, I was disappointed it has no automatic volume adjustment as the stock receiver has. Here is an app that is well worth the miniscule $2.99 premium upgrade price (premium has no advertising). It's called Auto Volume Control. You can control the volume 3 ways. Speed, Noise & Shake (independent only not all three at the same time). Each way allows multiple inputs to adjust such as volume changing interval, min & Max speed & min & max volume. I have only tried speed. In reality speed for the most part has two modes because the volume increases quickly (stopped and moving) but it's so nice to hit a stop sign and have the level return to a talking level as with speed I had it turned up to hear. I haven't gotten to try the noise control which may be the better way to go? Weather is about to turn cold so it may be some time before I get the chance? But as is the speed setting is a great thing to have!

Note, to use this through the phone you have to hook the phone to the USP charging port (not the android auto port. tap the streaming icon on the main menu and I use a choice of I <3 radio, forever radio or spotify.

• I've searched through this thread. Bought the Boss, the Scosche brackets and cables. Took the SS apart per the instructions but then wimped out when I saw the speaker wiring situation. Recommendations on what to do with the stock connector? Did you guys take the connector apart or just cut and splice the necessary speaker wires? Do you leave the stock plug still plugged in?

Pondering whether to take to shop or just send it back...

Thanks in advance.

• I've searched through this thread. Bought the Boss, the Scosche brackets and cables. Took the SS apart per the instructions but then wimped out when I saw the speaker wiring situation. Recommendations on what to do with the stock connector? Did you guys take the connector apart or just cut and splice the necessary speaker wires? Do you leave the stock plug still plugged in?

Thanks in advance.

Run New wires!

Thanks in advance.

I pulled removed the three screws at the triangle connector in the stock pods and then pulled the stock harness out of the stock pod. Then tie strapped the stock harness to the frame behind the pod. I then ran new speaker wires to the boss unit. I did use new speaker pods so I ran new speaker wires to the new speakers and pods. I found it helpful to cut the new speaker wire coming out of the pod and use bullet type connectors at that point simply to create an easy removal point should I need in the future. That way the stock set-up is still in tact and it's really easier to simply run new wires throughout.

I think if you simply run new wires and hook them up to the boss receiver you will find

that's the easiest. Hope this helps!

• if you're concerned about the wiring and your ability, check your local CraigsList and search for mobile car audio install or something similar. I haven't checked in a while, but we used to have several CL mobile car audio installers here in the Houston area.

Another option is to use some waterproof headlight connectors on your new speaker wires so you can easily disconnect the speakers/enclosures. Look for at least 16 ga wiring. Amazon has them pre-wired so you can just connect them to the speaker wires and the other end to the speaker enclosures.

• Get a usb splitter so you can plug the phone into the usb charger and android auto usb. May work..

No luck with the splitter allowing android auto to integrate with Bluetooth. Still need to plug the ports into the phone individually. Not sure if anyone out there is using Apple Car Play & if apple allows bluetooth without switching ports? If so my next phone will be Apple.