Has Anyone Installed Assault Ind. Under Hood Battery Terminals?

• I know that the above mentioned are pricey, but after yesterday- ...... must do something. Below is Yesterday's tale of woe to explain.

I have a 2016 SS, with the larger battery. Wouldn't start on Sunday, so I put it on trickle charger for 24 hours. It tried to start, but not enough juice. No choice but to replace. Being reasonably non-mechanical, I got my trusty, (read useless), little owners manual out. Figured I would just remove the outer cover and jump the SS.

What I found- No way was my positive cable going to fit in the allotted space. So, I read the "Battery removal" instructions. Seems pretty straight-forward. Too bad they were apparently not written with my SS in mind. No battery retainer wedge- A MUCH nicer, over the battery on all 3 sides bracket. 1 bolt in front, and 2 under the sling- one so close to framing that ratchet socket won't fit. Peachy. Finally got it off. and bracket removed, and ground cable disconnect from frame. Next instruction was to remove battery so you can disconnect the positive cable. What little moron thought I had that much play in the cable???? In reality- about 2 inches- not even close to enough room to clear the rubber boot covering the terminal. Luckily, I have very thin hands and a flat ratcheting wrench set, so with 1 hand holding back and squishing the rubber boot, and the other, working blind with the wrench, I got the cable disconnected. (Note to self- when re-installing new battery, keep finger off terminal when tightening bolt and hitting frame with end of wrench.) Needless to say, by time I got the battery out, I had cursed very Polaris engineer, as well as the entire assembly crew. Off to Napa Auto Parts. Their credit card machine was not working, so it was cash only....... Off to Pep Boys. The selection was less than stellar. The battery I got was a Champion- exact same configuration on the posts as the old one. (Battery retailed for $151.99. Are you f'ing kidding me- for a 12 volt battery????? Store applied a 20% "coupon" bringing it down to $121.59.)

When I got home- I realized that this battery has actual nuts that the bolt attaches to, as opposed to some type of clips that my old battery had. Negative cable was a breeze to attach, but I had to slide the battery in to attach the positive....... 20 minutes, and innumerable tries- hooked up! Worked my REALLY NICE bracket back in place, and got the cover on. I spent roughly 2 hours, just on the removal and install, not even counting the "go buy a battery" time.

I know most people go with the remote terminals either behind the seat or on the ass-end of the Sling. I know it is far cheaper- as the Assault part is $119+. However, I really do not want to drill holes in panels, and like the looks of the Assault.

Any feedback is appreciated.

• I have installed it on my previous ss and will be installing on my new 2019 ss as well. There is a video on Assaults website that was helpful. The mounting of the plate and the ground wire was quite simple. The positive cable can be a pain in the ass going to the starter. I chose to jack up the sling and attack that from the bottom. Here is a link to the video

https://assaultind.com/product…it-fits-polaris-slingshot

• NatomasSlingshot1

Not a recommendation, just options, as I haven't used either of these.

https://assaultind.com/product…it-fits-polaris-slingshot

https://slingshotonly.com/pola…p-port-polaris-slingshot/

And a third option would be to build your own after seeing the two above. The price for those above are for the convenience.

Regardless of which way you go, disconnect that damn battery!

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I managed to jump my 2018 using a rechargeable battery pack

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

I have one of those in all my vehicles now and made sure all my kids have one in their car. Saved my daughter in law who left work after midnight a while back and found a dead battery in the middle of an empty parking lot. They take up less room than jumper cables and you don't need to wait for someone else to help you out.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)