Alpha Variable Exhaust Controller

• The controller for the Alpha Variable Exhaust comes with about 20 feet of wire from controller to exhaust butterfly control and about another 6 feet for power plug. I cut the controller power plug and wired that directly to the back of the 2 wires going into the glove box power plug. I also cut about 18 feet of wire off the other side and used crimp connectors to attach to shorter wires. I then velcroed the box to the upper part of the glove box to be out of the way and to get better signal. Mounted the key chain push button on dash with velcro also. (the plug in the power outlet is my gps)

• I'm not sure how he did it. I'm guessing you could check the voltage on the wires going to the exhaust when the control box is activated with the current AB push buttons. If it's 12 volts, then we'd simply have to wire a switch through the ground side and connect the other side to power.

• @TheRock has done it... did it to @Jdin - I purchased the switch and he will do mines when I have time to meet up with him.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

Edited once, last by lrobbi ().

• @Flybuddy, or anyone else with the alpha variable...

Has any passengers commented on the exhaust heat off this unit? I noticed a difference in the floorboard heat compared to the uptone trio previously installed. I am wondering how that is going to fair when summer temps really heat up... Am I going to feel the burn again? :cursing: We really like the sound of the exhaust, both quiet and loud... Just wondering if I will still like it come July and August.... ?(

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• @Flybuddy, or anyone else with the alpha variable...

Has any passengers commented on the exhaust heat off this unit? I noticed a difference in the floorboard heat compared to the uptone trio previously installed. I am wondering how that is going to fair when summer temps really heat up... Am I going to feel the burn again? :cursing: We really like the sound of the exhaust, both quiet and loud... Just wondering if I will still like it come July and August.... ?(

Obviously both are better, heatwise, than stock but the Alpha is a little larger and a bit closer than the Uptone. I've got a lot of shielding as well as the airflow management kit muffler heat shield installed. My passenger side and tranny tunnel are cool...more power Scotty and raise shields!

• I also have the same exhaust system, though I am in Mi, right now till the end of Dec. then we are returning home to Southern Florida. right now my wife feels no heat build up in the floor board. We drove 220 miles on Sunday and she didn't say anything about it. But you didn't say what year yours is, our is the 2016 1/2 SL LE model. I noticed the extra heat shield in the exhaust area.

• Ours is the 16 SL, it is definitely better than stock.... No question, but standing over an open flame vs standing on a wood burning stove.... I'd be hard pressed to pick the lesser of two evils.. yes, I believe they fixed the heat issues in the 16.5 models? The rest of us have to pay for the fix... Which is kind of irritating to think about, they know of a problem, yet instead of fixing everyone's, they fixed present models and past models must pay out of pocket.... :thumbdown:

@Flybuddy is that what your saying you had installed?

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Ours is the 16 SL, it is definitely better than stock.... No question, but standing over an open flame vs standing on a wood burning stove.... I'd be hard pressed to pick the lesser of two evils.. yes, I believe they fixed the heat issues in the 16.5 models? The rest of us have to pay for the fix... Which is kind of irritating to think about, they know of a problem, yet instead of fixing everyone's, they fixed present models and past models must pay out of pocket.... :thumbdown:

@Flybuddy is that what your saying you had installed?

Yes that's it and it really does help, I installed it myself...kit is dirt cheap but labor is all over the place if you have it installed. I had maybe 2.5 to 3 hours in the job and could obviously do it quicker if I did it again. There's nothing hard about doing it just that a lot of crap has to come off and better if you have a 2nd person for lifting hood off and putting back. I found that you didn't need to disconnect all the wires in the instructions, just cut the ties holding them and there is enough slack to unbolt the lower front subframe and lay on floor.

• wow..... you have to remove the hood?? :S Steve and I was discussing, We never had any real tangible heat after removing the stock pot belly exhaust... the heat source has always been felt from stock exhaust, which disappeared after uptone install. We already plugged every single gapping hole... about 15 or so, with the biggest being behind infotainment center and surrounding foot pedals... Maybe that breather box/airflow management is slight overkill. At least it would seem arbitrary with our engine setup. I think before we were to disassemble the innards 8| and possibly set the hood back out of alignment... we will pick up some heat shielding for the fire wall and see if that solves the problem. Will let y'all know. Thanks for the info!

Curiosity killed the cat, so.... define cheap for Polaris kit? Even if we purchased it we would be excluding the radiator breather box.

• The kit is like 80 bucks..IMO Polaris subsidized the kit since they feel bad about the heat. Removing the hood is no big deal and you won't have hood alignment issues. Right now, how radiator air is flowing over the engine and pounding what little firewall there is with hot air. No matter how well you insulate there will be some cockpit flow. The shroud dumps the air downward (like a normal car) pretty much eliminating the hot air by your feet and the hot trans tunnel.

• Good Morning, We have 2016MY, and the Alpha variable exhaust. We are in SW Michigan right now and probably will be till Dec, then home to SE Florida. We rode 2 weeks ago, and my wife had to hang her feet out the side as the floor was so darn hot. I ordered the 11 piece kit from Design Engineering and the Exhaust wrap kit. I installed the kit and the wrap on Friday and Saturday. We drove Saturday afternoon and there was very little heat coming thru the floor board. Oh, 1 other thing I took a piece of the exhaust wrap placed it under the floor mat (Gen 2 kit) used double sided tape and the floor was only warm. I did block of the drain holes on her side though. if you watch the video by JOE from Slingmods, he cuts 1 of the attachments off that is on the far side of the exhaust as he said he couldn't get it through, well I have very small hands and I tried and was able to get through there and used both clamps. The other thing is that I am not a mechanic in no way, just followed the instruction and I did call DEI and talked to them on Friday why a piece wasn't fitting. They were a really big HELP. I also sent them some pic's of the installed Firewall piece. I have included some pic's of my install. Hope this works for anyone out there wanting to install the kit. It is definitely worth the $200.00. and then the cost of the wrap.

• No, as you can see I have the Electronic exhaust system. the muffler is much smaller than original. I wrapped the muffler as shown on the box the wrap came in. YES! we also got the burning effect, but that is the glass crystalizing on the muffler, after about 200 miles now it is down too just a slight smell. The shielding kit form DEI, which you can buy from Slingmods, Cycle springs or from DEI themselves is which I did. I called them on Monday and the kit was at my door on Wednesday. I needed a little help on Friday and called them, very, very helpful, Ask for Brian in Slingshot group. If you have any problem with the kit and you would We ran the Sling over the w/e and boy does it run a lot cooler with just the 11 piece kit on. I have not installed the 1 piece behind the radio though. As I did mention I also added a piece of the muffler wrap under her floor mat. I did read something about an air deflector kit that is now being sold, which I am going to look up. I am now in SW Michigan till the end of year, but we live in SE Florida.