My Wyoming trip KO'd by rain

• I had to reschedule my trip to Wyoming - the monsoon killed it!

I left at 2 am Wednesday, planning on a 13-14 hour drive, figuring that I would arrive at about 4 pm, check into my motel, get a good night's sleep and be ready to explore the next day. It was not to be! There was a little rain when I departed, and "light rain" was predicted across Missouri the next morning, but I should have been okay after that. But the weather app lied! (Where are the "fact checkers" for weather and travel apps??)

As I got into southern Missouri, the "light rain" became a monsoon. Heavy rain, standing water on the freeway, and the splash back from passing big rigs was unreal! I turned off Traction Control as the rain started -- but not BOTH nannies. I felt the stability control nanny kick in and I was suddenly sliding sideways from the outside lane all the way across to the median. Fortunately, I grew up in the frozen north where skid control is part of everyone's driver training. Foot off the gas, steer moderately into the skid, I felt the nanny let go and got control back just a few inches from the concrete K-rail - no harm, no foul, no damage, no injuries... and no, I didn't tell the Captain about that!

Got off the road and checked into a Motel 8, changed my wet clothes (and fouled unders!) took a shower and a nap. About 2 pm, the weather app said "No rain for 2 hours" - having learned nothing, I decided to check out and head for home. Of course, heading south - I drove right into the rain again! Drove through several bands of rain in the 5+ hour ride back home (all nannies turned OFF, thank you!) Got home soaking wet and cold about 9:30 pm to a hot shower, a warm bed, and a relieved bride!

So what did we learn from this? As my old dad used to say, as long as there's no permanent damage, no experience is a bad experience as long as you learn something! So here's what I learned:

1. The traction nannies will try and kill you. They are designed for dry pavement and will do the exact wrong thing at the absolutely worst time in wet weather. Hold that button DOWN and turn both of 'em off if you are driving on wet roads!

2. The slingshot does tend to hydroplane a bit, but without the nannies, it really is quite controllable in wet conditions. I experienced quite a few little "puddle jumps" on the way home, none of them really dangerous. Yes, I did slow down when the road was wet, 55 max on freeways, 45-50 on side roads (asphalt roads tend to puddle worse than concrete highways.) I feel I could drive in rainy conditions again, but I have no plans to do so. It was the old man macho "I can handle THIS!" attitude that got me into that mess in the first place.

3. MeanSling bags are beyond awesome! I know those folks are moving, starting a new job, etc., but I hope they get back in business again soon. I cannot endorse those bags highly enough. Hours of rain - often drenching, plus all the spray from passing trucks - not a drop of water got inside! All my clothes and gear were completely protected.

4. Floor mats and fabric seats are nice, but... yeah, everything got soaked. I put trash bags over the seat backs so they did okay, but the seat bottoms and floor mats not so much. Floor mats and seat bottoms are drying out now.

5. Your rain coat isn't water proof if the pockets are unzipped. Rain cascading down the plastic trash bags on the seat backs goes right into the side pockets, and then down your pants. "Cold Shower" the first time a big rig passes you in the rain doesn't quite describe it - and zipping up them damn pockets on the freeway in the rain is not an option.

6. On the way back, I decided against the rain coat (on the weather app's advice) and just wore my riding jacket. I also ditched the helmet (pad liners around the neck soaked and cold) and wore my leather cap and goggles. That was okay until I drove across a squall line with little drooping, swirling, black and "I could be a tornado - just watch me!" clouds. Conclusion? Rain on the face is bad enough, but hail really hurts at 60 mph. Also the unzipped air vents in the back of your riding jacket work just like the unzipped pockets in your rain coat. (I really am a slow learner... relentless, but slow.)

7. It is rumored that leather gloves soaked in rain water and then worn wet will shrink to fit you perfectly... Absolutely true.

Gonna try again on Sunday - I promise photos of beautiful Wyoming next week some time! Until then, some aftermath photos...

Drying out after our wet run...

All my gear on the porch this morning. The seat bottoms and helmet liner joined these things once the sun came out...

Here's a photo from my hotel, the highway is in the background. You can see the water spraying from that big rig... imagine having him pass you at 60 while you're trying to be good at 55 mph in the right hand lane!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• So glad you ok Doc&Ruby . I had a large flashback of riding your Pig Trail following EjFord . I too learned a lot about rain suits and driving on wet roads and pouring rain. One thing I would recommend is putting trash bag on seat bottoms as well, took four days for mine to dry out. Seat backs work well with bags as long as it folds down behind the edges of seat bottoms. Have safe travels second time around and enjoy the ride.

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• I never plan on starting a ride in the rain, but if your going to do a lot of miles sometimes it's going to get wet. Pig tail was very wet, the Blue Ridge Parkway was

far wetter no place to pull off and water rushing down and across the roadway. I did somehow manage to get everyone back to Maggie Valley with rubber down and plastic up and wet.

• Doc&Ruby So very glad that you made it back home safe!
    I couldn't agree with you more about the nannies. If the pavement goes past just being wet and I seen any indication of puddling at all I immediately turn off ALL the nannies. I have my theories about what it does and why and I even remember reading something in the owners manual about traction and stability control being bad juju in adverse road conditions. I like yourself and many others here have ridden hundreds of miles in the rain and feel very blessed to have not had an accident. It only takes once and it happens so fast! Everyone is a race car driver behind the keyboard!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Doc&Ruby So very glad that you made it back home safe!
    I couldn't agree with you more about the nannies. If the pavement goes past just being wet and I seen any indication of puddling at all I immediately turn off ALL the nannies. I have my theories about what it does and why and I even remember reading something in the owners manual about traction and stability control being bad juju in adverse road conditions. I like yourself and many others here have ridden hundreds of miles in the rain and feel very blessed to have not had an accident. It only takes once and it happens so fast! Everyone is a race car driver behind the keyboard!

Yeah. After I got some sleep & recovered a bit, I sat down & worked out what was going on. It's all about the wheel speed sensors. Hydroplaning slows the 'wet' wheel down. The nanny applies brakes to the other wheel which causes the vehicle to pivot around the wheel with the brakes. The hydroplaning wheel has no traction to resist or hold the car on track, and with only 1 wheel in the back, you are far more vulnerable to a spin out. Add a driver without knowledge of how to control a skid and you pretty much guarantee an accident.

If Polaris made the sling so that you had to choose to have the nannies ON instead, the system would be much safer in the rain. Lawyers would never allow that, though, and they make you feel guilty about shutting them down. X/

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.