Installation of optima battery to replace the whimpy factory one

• That's good news to hear. Wasn't so sure of these little chevy engines. Mine has been fully customized with Turbo, back fender, heated seats, cupholders, and LOTs of other goodies. PS. Haven't figured out to start a thread to introduce myself.

On this forum you MUST follow all the rules... Except we LOST the book. So take a minute and say hello here. Welcome the the "World of Slingshot Insanity"...

• It's hard to believe because it's BS. I called and told them, and posted a review on their site as well. Least they could do is acknowledge you might have to do some modding/tight space work to get it in there. I got it in without changing the cables...but it was a PITA. Had to undo the other stuff connected to the positive cable and hook them up individually. And wingnuts?! WTF?! Can't reach up there to get it as tight as I'd like.

Can you advise what you did? I think those who say it is tight have 17 or later. I see no way of my positive cable reaching on the other side. I noticed a lite the nite power video where the front of the battery was facing driver seat. Trying to create a thread so people can see all the options. I'm not a metal worker I dont plan on building a tray.

https://www.facebook.com/litet…/videos/2780745278635834/

• I guess these batteries only come with one post configuration. I know you got to watch when buying lead acid batteries as the post can be in the opposite ends.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• Just bought a 2015 Slingshot

Even though I have also bragged about having a full sized battery in our 2015 SlingShot, and it lasting now for nearly six years, I need to thank SlingMods for making me aware that I have been wrong and that it too is a steaming pile of @#$% according to this newly discovered video referencing the Optima battery kit.

I feel so stupid now! :evil:

Bill

• Can you advise what you did? I think those who say it is tight have 17 or later. I see no way of my positive cable reaching on the other side. I noticed a lite the nite power video where the front of the battery was facing driver seat. Trying to create a thread so people can see all the options. I'm not a metal worker I dont plan on building a tray.

https://www.facebook.com/litet…/videos/2780745278635834/

Sorry for delay, I'm not on here every day. I bought the battery tray as well. I'm not at home to go look at it, but I removed taped/bundled wires from the positive line, got the battery onto the new plate and it barely reached. You can't reach it to tighten well either. They provide a wingnut that you can't really get your fingers on well. Got it as tight as I could. If your positive cable is half an inch shorter that mine, it won't reach.

• I'm currently working on it. It will reach if you account for the length of the top post bracket the lug will bolt to then obviously that bracket gets secured to the post on the battery. I'll post some pics once I'm done. I've had the joy of dealing with a 2015 tray having a 2016 model. I think polaris used some left over parts on mine.

• I'm currently working on it. It will reach if you account for the length of the top post bracket the lug will bolt to then obviously that bracket gets secured to the post on the battery. I'll post some pics once I'm done. I've had the joy of dealing with a 2015 tray having a 2016 model. I think polaris used some left over parts on mine.

2015 and 2016 Should be the same .... 2016.5 had some minor changes....

• Here is how it shaped up for me. I had to modify the slotted mounting holes on the bottom in order to fit. They needed to be taller. I used a dremel to accomplish that. I had to buy a longer 6m bolt for the front of the bracket to screw into the frame. The stock one would not allow me to get the thread started. I also bought a.longer negative battery cable. Granted I think I had to do all of that because my '16 had some '15 battery parts.

• I wrapped the bracket with electrical tape and added wire loom to the sides and put the plastic covers on the side posts and taped them as well. I saw a review of a SS on YouTube where a short occurred related to poor installation... I went OCD on it. I added some aftermarket top post covers from amazon. The red one had to be cut in order to wrap around the cables. Also note one of the top post brackets sent with the kit needs to be widened to fit the positive post. I used two wrenches to open it up and get it to fit.

Did this turn out ok? Yes I think so but it was a frustrating install. The guys at Tricled are helpful and I like the quality of their products. How much of thos is related to Polaris mixing parts on my machine? idk... anyone planning on doing this just know it is a super tight fit and If you're not nimble it is going to be that much harder. I expect the later models have an easier install.

• I picked up my SS on New Years Eve, 2014.

I still have the original battery.

Bought my wife a new Polaris Sportsman XP 550 in the Fall of 2010.

Still has the original battery.

POLARIS MAKES WICKED AWESOME BATTERIES!!!!!

:00000441:

:00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356::00008356:

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• I had the stock battery as well. If you left it in park and had the stereo going it would die in minutes. If I did not have accessories I would not have upgraded. I have leds, curb alert, amp, stereo, etc...

In short I agree with you. The stock battery in my experience held up very well given its original purpose.

• On the 2020+ I don't see how a larger battery can be installed. Will be interested to see if someone finds a way later. I am going to run my LED lights on the power from the glovebox so they will only be on while the SS is running. No way to forget to turn them off that way. I do carry a jump start think in the passenger storage just in case. Beats having to ask for a jump. I am also not going to be sitting around DQ with my lights on.

If the music is to loud you are to old.