When NOT to use the traction control?

• I remember reading a post here some time back, might have been TravAZ if I remember correctly where he talked about driving without the traction control turned on and also without the stability control turned on and if I remember correctly the gist of the advice given was that traction control could be turned off for some fun and was good so long as you know what you are doing on the other hand stability control should not be turned off unless you are an expert or crazy

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• To expand on the topic a bit, can anybody relate a circumstance where they believe that the Electronic Stability System was an aid in assisting keeping their SlingShot under control?

Bill

I believe the ESS light is supposed to come on when it has provided some assist. I've never seen mine come on despite the Slingshot tail hanging out to the point I wasn't sure it would recover. No idea what angle it will allow before it kicks in but it must be pretty wide.

• I believe the ESS light is supposed to come on when it has provided some assist. I've never seen mine come on despite the Slingshot tail hanging out to the point I wasn't sure it would recover. No idea what angle it will allow before it kicks in but it must be pretty wide.

LOL, I must admit that if I ever get into a situation where I may need the assistance of the ESP, I doubt that I will be watching the instrument panel? =O

Bill

• I had the ESP kick in one time on dry pavement that I'm aware of. It was two summers back, and my wife and I were riding the stretch on 52 between Irvine and Beattyville in Kentucky. I had so much fun on that road, I turned around and rode it back, then rode it again. On my way back to Irvine, I was running hard. I came over a slight hill running about 50, knowing that the sign showed a hairpin curve ahead. The road dropped off quickly there, and before the road leveled out, the hairpin started. I was in 3rd, and as I crested the hill, the back tire started slipping from engine brake. I was just about to hit the brakes.... when the front brakes applied without input from me. It was moderately hard, and only for 1-2 seconds, but by then the rear tire had caught up to speed and the SS let off the brakes entirely. It was a shock to me, very surprising, even though I'd been told it could and would do that if circumstances arose that defined a need for it.

I push the SS on the twisties most of the time. I've not had the ESP kick in any other time that I'm aware of. I try to avoid rain, but if you ride much in Indiana, you will ride in it at some point. If light, only wet roads but no standing water, I leave both ESP and traction control on. If heavy rains have left any type of puddles, both are off. I've driven it both ways (with ESP and without) on standing water, and I've had much better result with it off for that. I don't track it, nor do donuts, so all other times my ESP is on.