Slingshot for sale with used Chevy engine.....Sound familiar??

• I believe to have heard the Malibu motor has a stock 259 or so HP. With that, would there be a need for a Turbo? Only being inquesative.

The standard NA Direct injected 2.5L that replaced the LE9 in 2013 was rated at 197hp however the current "stock" motor is a 163 hp direct injected 1.5L Turbo.

For a 259 hp Malibu it would have been the optional direct injected Turbo 2.0L introduced in 2013 and a completely different motor than the LE5/9 ....

2013 Chevy Malibu's turbo four rated at 259 HP, 0-60 in 6.3 seconds - Autoblog

The optional Turbo 2.0 motor in the '16 Malibu is tuned to 250hp ...

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• If I was in his shoes and blew an engine why not pick up a DDM Works engine for like $3800 and re-use the turbo with a stronger engine.

Well, not to defend anyone, or brag, but rewind a couple of months ago, when he blew his LE9, and no one offered a built LE9. So that option wasn't there at that time.

I was the first to start posting on the other forum about taking that engine appart and getting pistons made etc. I had a really hard time finding any info on how to do this and no vendor (hans, ddm etc) answered any questions about forged internals.

I am not claming to be first to build a forged LE9, I am not that stupid, but 1 year ago someone looking to build the engine for turbo was near impossible to find info. Only 2-3 months after I started posting pics that some vendors started offering it (started with Slingstreet and the Slingshot X showing off a built LE9, then DDM offered a built longblock on their website, there is an other one too don't remember the name).

I always found strange that a vendor like Hans wouldn't offer a built engine with their kits.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• iNewton - Sorry we missed your questions about the forged internals :(

Everyone else - The LE5 and the LE9 are essentially the same engine, if you change out the injectors and fuel rail you can make a LE5 a LE9 and vice versa. The LE9 is just the flex fuel version of the LE5 and is more equivalent to the 2008 and newer LE5's instead of the 06-07 version. If you are building the engine with pistons and rods the differences between those years do not matter though. So, for anyone building up an engine, the information for a LE5 will apply to the LE9 (atleast all the mechanical parts I can think of). All of the pistons out there and rods for an LE5 work on a LE9 because essentially they are the same engine except for the fuel system (fuel rail and injectors)

There is the also a great book out there - ECOTEC Build Book - on the internet, here is a copy from our website -

saab_ecotec_performance_guide.pdf

That book has a lot of information in it about building up Ecotec's, parts, tolerances, dimensions, etc. I have a copy I keep on my desk for reference. If you start getting into the book, there are 4 versions of the engine in that book, although they mostly build up the 2.0L LSJ. Most of the information still applies to the LE5, but there are some differences that you do need to be aware of. The 4 versions in the book are the 2.0L LSJ Supercharged, 2.2L L61 Naturally aspirated, 2.4L Naturally Aspirated (non-E85 version of the LE9) and the 2.0L LNF Turbo. The LSJ and the L61 are the first gen engines and the Le5 and LNF are the second gen engines.

We have been building the LE5's for years now, and I know we were not the first either. People have been building up the Ecotec 2.4L's since 2006 that we know of, so there are lots of parts out there and experience doing it. We never posted up built engines for sale specifically for the Slingshot until we learned how many of the turbo guys were blowing them up, and after we had a couple people call and get some built, figured maybe we should get them up on the site ;)

Hope that clears some stuff up and gives some information for everyone to chew on, if you haven't seen it :)

• @Dave@DDMWorks

No worries about answering questions, the research made me learn a lot, its all good :)

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...