Rear Protection Anyone?

• I am sure it would work with the powder coat, and with the clear coat. Not sure it would work well with the wrinkle/flat black. I wouldn't hesitate on any other than that one. It may work, but my guess is it would be more difficult to clean than the others at best. One of the things that Top Coat does is make things even smoother (and slick like nothing before). But with the wrinkle, I still believe dirt will catch and make a less than optimal situation. It may help, but I'd stick with the smooth options if you want easier.

I want to say I have talked to someone that said they used Top Coat on the ABS plastic as well and it worked great...
    @SlingLow it's not anything you would add though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I want to say I have talked to someone that said they used Top Coat on the ABS plastic as well and it worked great...
    @SlingLow it's not anything you would add though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen but not used Top Coat yet. I got some Dual Polymer, and I liked it well enough that I bought a gallon of it. I'm still on the original quart bottle. It works very well, and works on the plastic also. After 2 summers, and 25,000 miles, my plastic looks better than it did new.

• Thanks to both of you, @DKF Texas and @Goats_Hogs. I did my research early on for polishes and protectants. I went with the Aerospace 303 and while it does a good job, it does seem to attract a lot of dust. I might just have to try the Dual Polymer. There's nothing like the test of time.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I've seen but not used Top Coat yet. I got some Dual Polymer, and I liked it well enough that I bought a gallon of it. I'm still on the original quart bottle. It works very well, and works on the plastic also. After 2 summers, and 25,000 miles, my plastic looks better than it did new.

@Goats_Hogs may I ask if you're using the DualPolymer Waterless Car Wash, Polish and Protective Acrylic Coating on the ABS plastics? Does it maintain a very nice shine with no dull haze? Any superficial scratching noticed? Last but not least do you actually use it without washing the sling first, or do you wash and apply? Thanks

• @Goats_Hogs may I ask if you're using the DualPolymer Waterless Car Wash, Polish and Protective Acrylic Coating on the ABS plastics? Does it maintain a very nice shine with no dull haze? Any superficial scratching noticed? Last but not least do you actually use it without washing the sling first, or do you wash and apply? Thanks

Here's the info on all I use. The first pic is the Dual Polymer car wash. I wash the vehicle first, but only to get the worst of the dirt off. It only needs applied about 3 times then once or twice a year depending on how much you use your Sling. I have only done mine in the late spring this year, and the second pic was after over 1300 miles of driving.... including caught in the rain! The plastic speaks volumes in my opinion. For quick clean up, I'll use the last picture. Wizard's Mist and Shine Professional detailer. I signed up to be a distributor so that I could buy 4 gallons of it cheaper. It's about $18 a quart, but only $50 a gallon. I started back in 2010, have used it 8 years and still have this bottle left from 3 Harleys (until 2015, then 2) and the Slingshot.

After the Dual Polymer has a good 3 coats, all I use now is hot water and a microfiber towel for good cleanings. This is the way I do it, I'm sure others have their way too. But this is easy, and works well, and my Sling has never had wax on it, only 4 coats (total, 3 last year) in two summers and 25,000 plus miles. And on days I drive it to work (many) it sits in the sun for more than 10-12 hours, depending on my overtime.

• @Goats_Hogs Awesome! Thanks for replying! At one point in my life I was an overpaid auto detailer and I tend to over extend myself with my detail work. So, I'm trying to take newer approaches that are less complicated when dealing with plastics. Your maintenance regimen speaks volumes about the product and desire to keep your SS and Harley clean! I would give you a hard time about the Harley pic I came across that you posted but I'm going to let you make it after you so graciously responded with a wealth of information that will point me in a different direction perhaps when it comes to maintaining the exterior of my SS. I kind of miss the days when distributors would pull up to the garage with more candy than a Snap-On truck. I'd get dizzy drunk on an order on high end waxes. I still maintain a spot on the detailers forums just to make sure I don't completely lose my touch. Thanks again, I'll be ordering the basic kit of DP and some Wizards for sure!

• @Goats_Hogs Awesome! Thanks for replying! At one point in my life I was an overpaid auto detailer and I tend to over extend myself with my detail work. So, I'm trying to take newer approaches that are less complicated when dealing with plastics. Your maintenance regimen speaks volumes about the product and desire to keep your SS and Harley clean! I would give you a hard time about the Harley pic I came across that you posted but I'm going to let you make it after you so graciously responded with a wealth of information that will point me in a different direction perhaps when it comes to maintaining the exterior of my SS. I kind of miss the days when distributors would pull up to the garage with more candy than a Snap-On truck. I'd get dizzy drunk on an order on high end waxes. I still maintain a spot on the detailers forums just to make sure I don't completely lose my touch. Thanks again, I'll be ordering the basic kit of DP and some Wizards for sure!

You're in San Antonio, right Zorasmiles? Maybe we can wash together... :whistling:

That way I can decide of this approach is good for me too... :D

• @MiM <scratching head> I mean I love the sling life but not the swing the other way life LOL I'm sure my wife and your wife wouldn't approve of us washing together. Now, washing the slings together sure why not but you have a custom paint job and I'd personally think you might want to see what's best for that new clear coat. I am in SA, NE area. As soon as my new enclosed trailer is finished we'll have to meet up and you can help me avoid the newbie modding mistakes. Although I've already started building up a nice stash of mods as mine sits in the dealer storage area waiting for pick up.

@SlingLow, he opened the doorway for that one lol

Keep in mind, this is a product that replaces wax. You don't get a build up with it, it just gives a two based polymer mix that fills in the high and low spots and smooths the paint to a slick finish. It somewhat reminds you of wax though when applying it. You will need to constantly shake the bottle, as one of the polymers will separate from the rest. But believe me, it does work well! Application is simple, shake the bottle, spray, wipe lightly until spread with a micro fiber towel, wait to haze (about 30 seconds) and buff with a clean micro fiber towel. I even did the inside of my rear rim, as this stuff repels dust. As for the Wizard's, my last Harley was black.... and I've used it after being caught out in the rain (long after it dried). Just spray on a soaking coat, wait until it starts to dry, then spray it once again and clean with a micro fiber towel. No scratches, and looks like you just waxed it.

I prefer to use good products that make my life easier..... :D You are welcome to bash on me about the Harley all you want. I've been riding them for 3 decades, and although I keep hearing about breakdowns and oil leaks, I've had few of either. The bikes have never left me stranded, but I'll admit there has been maybe a half dozen roadside repairs in that amount of time. They (the Harleys, wife has a Harley also) don't do much other than collect dust since the Slingshot was bought though. This season I've put almost 700 miles on my Road King. In my peak, I was riding 21,000 miles a year. Most of those miles have been put on the Sling the past two seasons.....

• @Goats_Hogs, I'm with you when it comes to using good products to make life easier LOL I'm actually looking forward to giving these products a try. I may even consider doing a few coats on the sport bike while I wait for completion of my trailer. I'm definitely going to apply it to wheels, as I'm not a fan of brake dust. You've put quite a few miles on your SS. What model sling do you have? What size rear tire are you running? I'm trying to resist the urge to run a 285 right off the back and try to get more time with the factory setup but the stance of the 285 and 305 make it hard.

I guess SlingLow was right about us us filling time while waiting lol

• @Goats_Hogs, I'm with you when it comes to using good products to make life easier LOL I'm actually looking forward to giving these products a try. I may even consider doing a few coats on the sport bike while I wait for completion of my trailer. I'm definitely going to apply it to wheels, as I'm not a fan of brake dust. You've put quite a few miles on your SS. What model sling do you have? What size rear tire are you running? I'm trying to resist the urge to run a 285 right off the back and try to get more time with the factory setup but the stance of the 285 and 305 make it hard.

I guess SlingLow was right about us us filling time while waiting lol

It's a 2016.5. Still running stock rear size, but in the General G-Max tire. Very happy with it! I'd love a wider rear tire, but that worsens the hydroplaning, and I ride a good deal of miles..... so, I settled.

• I purchased a 2016.5 SL as well and I've been weighing the two ...to hydroplane or not. Considering that I rarely ride in the rain these days on my sport bike and will be doing the same on the Sling, I'm considering going with the wider tire. I'm also thinking of picking up a spare rear factory tire for those times I may want to road trip the Sling, and don't want to risk running into wet weather. I read the thread where you and another forum member spoke very highly about the General G-Max and how you wished you'd switched earlier...the responses about asymmetrical or not on all corners made me do more reading/research. The 500AA wear rating on the tire makes it very good in my personal opinion. This is where you can't beat the experience of riders with more seat time and I appreciate the feedback.