Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• So - a fun question

is helping corporations get through these times more or less important than helping unions during these times?

It seems to me that corporations are much more important than unions - Corporations provide jobs and without the survival of the corporation those jobs would be gone. Unions might improve the quality of the jobs, but if the corporation fails the union is pointless

So what say you - during these times of corona virus - corporations or unions, if only one could get government aid which would you choose and why?

government union employees need not reply

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• unanswerable

Corporations provide jobs (create jobs)

unions (Does not create jobs) protect the workers of those jobs from the corporation

then you have government employee unions that are needed to protect the government employees from - - - - - - - ???????

• having witnesses first hand what our company did to the salaried personal....with no union protection. I would never work without a union. I considered my union dues as an insurance payment to protect my rights and my job.

Once in a money saving move....they called in the salaried workers and they told them the pension they had....was being turned into a cash option....pension worth 1 million was offered 250-300,000 cash to leave in 30 days or be terminated.

I saw them take away weeks of accumulated PTO. Saw them take away their healthcare.

Saw them issue pagers that were required to be acknowledged...24/7

Many companies think employees are paid slaves and should act accordingly.

no union, no thanks....

• so your okay if your employer goes out of business before you will give up your union????

• I can not blame any worker for wanting union protections. They negotiate fair wages, better benefits, healthcare, vacations, and seniority.
    now ask yourself why would they need a union....because especially today employees are not valued. Companies consider workers and their benefits a necessary evil. As such the first thing companies due is eliminate employees whenever they want to save money....never cut their salaries or bonuses.....

there was a time when companies were loyal to their workers. And that loyalty was returned by the employees.....today there is not much respect for workers... you’re a number that can be erased by batting an eye.

some companies are finding out if you want to get and keep loyal dedicated skilled employees you have to step up with wages and bennies...

every employee is just trading Their time and skills for money. They only thing we have is time and skills. These thing have value. There is a benefit to employers to have and keep dedicated loyal employees. Employees can make or break a company... fair treatment is the key.

• Many years ago my Wife was a bookkeeper for a multi state public employee union .. she was also a Federal Grand Jury witness .... a whole lot of high ranking people in that union went to jail and millions of dollars of holdings purchased with money stolen from workers where seized .....

Unfortunately not all unions are "for the worker" and way too many have soured public perception by their actions ...

... bored-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().

• Bigdog - - you are not answering the question - you are going off topic to defend unions - - that is not the question

I will try again

If the Government can only provide stimulus money to protect ONE to insure it remains viable - - which ONE would you choose

your employer/corporation or your union?

to make it easier to keep you on the question lets assume that the one that does not receive help will no longer exist

So which ONE do you pick

Your Employer with no Union or your union with no employer?

and please Bigdog don't be your usual obstreperous self and just answer the question :thumbsup:

• I’ve given up negotiated pay increases during slow economic times...took contract concessions to stay working. Had wages stagnated for entire contracts.

we got typically 3% increases for our entire contracts while local teachers were getting 3% a year...big difference.

your ok with what happened in the 70-80-90s when companies would declare bankruptcy to eliminate workers negotiated pension obligations to steal the money. Screwing worker out of their entire pension. I gave up hourly wages (take home pay) that were put into my pension plan. If they go bankrupt I’m not considered a creditor by the court. That means my chances of collecting even pennies on the dollar of my money for my pension is zero.

Thats 30 years of hard work out the window. this happened to tens of thousands of workers during that time period.....oh and they sent those jobs overseas.....they gave away our middle class.

do you think the slave wage workers in China wish they had a union to protect them?

• some people are now questioning why we are bailing out cruise ship owners when the majority of those ships are registered in other countries to avoid pay taxes to the United States....

I say register them all here or pound salt...and since your ship is currently registered in a foreign country you don’t qualify for bail outs...get a bail out from them.

that’s our tax money....

• I’ve given up negotiated pay increases during slow economic times...took contract concessions to stay working. Had wages stagnated for entire contracts.

we got typically 3% increases for our entire contracts while local teachers were getting 3% a year...big difference.

your ok with what happened in the 70-80-90s when companies would declare bankruptcy to eliminate workers negotiated pension obligations to steal the money. Screwing worker out of their entire pension. I gave up hourly wages (take home pay) that were put into my pension plan. If they go bankrupt I’m not considered a creditor by the court. That means my chances of collecting even pennies on the dollar of my money for my pension is zero.

Thats 30 years of hard work out the window. this happened to tens of thousands of workers during that time period.....oh and they sent those jobs overseas.....they gave away our middle class.

do you think the slave wage workers in China wish they had a union to protect them?

seriously??

You cant answer one simple question?

it isn't brain surgery

• you’re making it sound like unions are causing companies to go bankrupt. Does that count all of the millions of dollars in upper management bonuses and retirement packages...

once during our contract negotiations when the owner wanted us to take contract concessions (because of hard times) I read in the newspaper that he just donated $5 million dollars to the Pittsburgh symphony....

You’re giving $5 million to the symphony and want me to give up some of my money?

you don’t think workers should get fair wages and benefits? There should be no worker rights? You want workers to be company slaves...

without unions most companies would deny benefits and overtime pay, eliminate seniority and healthcare and retirement plans....so you will be happy using a major portion of your small hourly wage to purchase and invest in all those things.

You make it sound like it’s good verse evil. Unions negotiate with companies...not the government...so companies aren’t giving up more than they can afford. What percentage of profits is considered enough at the expense of the workers?.. where does corporate greed start and stop? Unions don’t want all the profits...just a portion of what the workers made possible.

Your solution is send all the jobs to China...verses paying Americans a decent wage? You just witnessed what that has created that is not good for our country. That was pure corporate greed that created that problem. Companies not wanting or caring about American workers or their families or the damage they caused to our country....

So yes if a company wants to screw American workers by having the Chinese do the job...it’s a choice they made ...so they should pay the price....because now you’re ok with giving them part of your wages (in the form of income tax) to reward them for their corporate greed. I’m not ok with that and never will be.