Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• I could clearly see it from over 100 miles away and the payload is bigger than a bus. 20ft?

Just watch an idiot on the news say the Chinese are embarrassed because we caught them. It's a giant f-ing balloon.

Sorry, I was thinking of the Chinese food delivery balloon.... Just kidding....

When I first read about it, it was at least 20 ft... Then a bus...(about 35 ft) now three busses....over 100 ft..

It is good they shot it down because by tomorrow it would have been the Hindenburg....

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

Edited once, last by billythekidd ().

• It took about 6 minutes for the balloon to fall. How long should it take for the balloon payload to fall from 60,000 feet? How about it, some of you brainiacs.

60k ft ÷ 6 minutes (360 seconds) = 166.67 ft per second or 113.62 mph. With the balloon envelope causing drag. Without drag 176 ft per second or 120 mph (terminal velocity for a person) probably not much faster for the payload without drag around 5 1/2 minutes.

• 60k ft ÷ 6 minutes (360 seconds) = 166.67 ft per second or 113.62 mph. With the balloon envelope causing drag. Without drag 176 ft per second or 120 mph (terminal velocity for a person) probably not much faster for the payload without drag around 5 1/2 minutes.

Terminal Velocity is a bit more complicated than that... I believe...

Based on wind resistance, for example, the terminal speed of a skydiver in a belly-to-earth (i.e., face down) free fall position is about 55 m/s (180 ft/s or about 123mph). This speed is the asymptotic limiting value of the speed, and the forces acting on the body balance each other more and more closely as the terminal speed is approached. In this example, a speed of 50% of terminal speed is reached after only about 3 seconds, while it takes 8 seconds to reach 90%, 15 seconds to reach 99% and so on.

Higher speeds can be attained if the skydiver pulls in their limbs (see also free flying). In this case, the terminal speed increases to about 90 m/s (300 ft/s or about 200mph), which is almost the terminal speed of the peregrine falcon diving down on its prey. The same terminal speed is reached for a typical .30-06 bullet dropping downwards—when it is returning to the ground having been fired upwards, or dropped from a tower—according to a 1920 U.S. Army Ordnance study.

Competition speed skydivers fly in a head-down position and can reach speeds of 150 m/s (490 ft/s about 334mph) the current record is held by Felix Baumgartner who jumped from an altitude of 38,887 m (127,582 ft) and reached 380 m/s (1,200 ft/s), though he achieved this speed at high altitude where the density of the air is much lower than at the Earth's surface, producing a correspondingly lower drag force.

Here is the formula for TV...

{\displaystyle V_{t}={\sqrt {\frac {2mg}{\rho AC_{d}}}}}

• V_{t} represents terminal velocity,
    • m is the mass of the falling object,
    • g is the acceleration due to gravity,
    • C_{d} is the drag coefficient ,
    • \rho is the density of the fluid (usually air) through which the object is falling, and
    • A is the projected area of the object.

As a side note... way more math than I have done in some time... :)

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• About as much as I could do in my head with the limited information available.😁

• It's really obvious the same brilliant minds that botched the Afghanistan withdrawal handled the Chinese balloon.

Plan A: shoot the balloon with small projectiles and let it drop slowly. Recover the payload and study it.

Plan B: Blow it up with a missile and drop the debris in salt water to further damage any electronics that survived the missile.

Plan B it is.🤨

In the end we can't prove it was anything more than a weather balloon. See not a threat after all.

• It's really obvious the same brilliant minds that botched the Afghanistan withdrawal handled the Chinese balloon.

Plan A: shoot the balloon with small projectiles and let it drop slowly. Recover the payload and study it.

Plan B: Blow it up with a missile and drop the debris in salt water to further damage any electronics that survived the missile.

Plan B it is.🤨

Yea, and that looks like what they did. Anyway I could not believe that it took 8 minutes to fall.

• YEA!

"Migrants are leaving New York City and heading north into Canada on taxpayer-funded buses, according to a new report from the New York Post.

The Big Apple is the center of the migrant crisis on the East Coast after thousands of illegal immigrants have flooded the city, with some living in ritzy, taxpayer-funded hotel rooms.

But not all migrants are pleased with life in the city, telling the New York Post that they would rather accept "free tickets" for a ride up north to Canada and better opportunities in a country with lower rates of homelessness and drug abuse."

link

maybe we finally have a solution to the migrant problem that will work - - - free one way tickets to Canada. This might actually be a use of my tax dollars I can get behind - - how about you Sparcky

Edit: If you think about it isn't this what all of the countries south of us do? - - simply pass the illegals on through to the country to the north? it seems to work for Mexico :P

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• Maybe Sparcky has some room in his house for a couple inmigrants.

• Very few holes in our border they can sneak through like the Mexico border. Quebec seems to get the most as that is the break in the “wall”.
    they will find crime, lots of homelessness and drugs here also. Just not as many guns.
    I can see this being a problem though if it continues.