Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• To be honest, the multi-lingual writing doesn't bother me that much. I would rather have an informed populace than not, although I can see why the change makes people happy. Please don't think that I'm pro-illegal immigration, I am not (have a very good friend that immigrated legally, and everyone should have to face that kind of scrutiny). But I am also a realist in that we have a significant portion of our population that has a primary language other than English, and they are here to stay. With the strained relationships nationwide, I do not think that removing Spanish articles from the website is really worth the angst and unease it will cause in many homes across the nation. But what do I know? I'm only a 34 y/o white woman with no political experience.

• To be honest, the multi-lingual writing doesn't bother me that much. I would rather have an informed populace than not, although I can see why the change makes people happy.

I respect that well stated view .. and to be honest it is (probably) only temporary ... I was struck by it not being a priority which goes toward my view that if you are going to (legally) immigrate to the US much like many (most) others countries do you should be required to have a working knowledge of the primary language rather than jumping through hoops to accommodate ...... being able to communicate with the indigenous population only helps assimilation ....

The problem is the USA does not have an official language so I understand the counterpoint ...

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I like English only.When I was 9 years old in 1957 we came to the US from Germany. The school system would not let me attend school until I learned english.I learned English that Sommers and in the fall they let me attend school but I had to do 3rd grade over.I have no regrets or bad feelings, I think that's the way it should be done.

• being able to communicate with the indigenous population only helps assimilation ....

Oy vay do you open a can of worms here. I agree, that a working knowledge of the language is necessary for personal growth and success. I would argue the point of assimilation. Our nation is founded on the notion that we are free to speak whatever language we choose, believe whatever religion we choose, to be whoever we want to be within the legal boundaries of our laws. We do not, nor have we ever, fully assimilate(d) others into our culture because we have no singular American culture. And that is one of the many things that makes this country both amazing and incredibly hard to govern. We, as a nation, have the culture of independence and freedom, but beyond that, you would be hard pressed to find a specific culture.

What we have is a hodgepodge of cultures learning (more or less successfully depending on when/who you ask) how to live with each other. That is why you are seeing the racial/genderal/cultural fractions - because we are warring with each other on which of the American sub-cultures is dominant, and the subsequent fighting for cultural equality. But instead of having well-informed discussions on the topic, we are having emotionally charged rhetoric shoved down our throats from BOTH sides of the aisle.

We cannot, and should not, forsake what this country was founded upon in order to force people to assimilate. And even if we did, into which culture would you have them assimilate?

• Oy vay do you open a can of worms here. I agree, that a working knowledge of the language is necessary for personal growth and success. I would argue the point of assimilation.

My use of "assimilate" was to intended to address this part of the definition as described by Websters "take in (information, ideas, or culture) and understand fully"

Rather than this part "cause (something) to resemble; liken"

My sub-intent was to generally state my view that if you come here it should be because you want to be an "American" ...... rather than just as an effort t to geographically relocate your society in its entirety ....

Hope that helps clarify ... probably not but I respect your response so felt it worth the effort .... confused-squared

• I hate to be a freedom of speech buzz kill here as I have always been a staunch supporter no matter how stupid that speech may be. I do, however, take issue about assimilation. Muslims have created massive problems in Europe immigrating and basically setting up their own country within that country. They abide by their own laws (Sharia) and law enforcement does not even go into these areas. If you are immigrating to the US - ENGLISH is main spoken English of the land just like German is spoken in Germany and Spanish is spoken in Mexico. I don't care what your 1st language is - if you want to speak it - that is your prerogative but don't expect me to have to speak or write it. If you are coming to America you should be able to blend into the mainstream and live your life as you wish not infringing on another trying to change the morals and beliefs of the most successful country in history. If that is your goal - stay or go back where you come from!!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I came to this country to be an American. I am proud of my German heritage, but I didn't bring the culture with me.Some of these people come here to take advantage of our great country and bring there failing country with them.We need one language so we can communicate with each other,and after that speak any language you want.A perfect example is our first lady,class act!

• I came to this country to be an American. I am proud of my German heritage, but I didn't bring the culture with me.Some of these people come here to take advantage of our great country and bring there failing country with them.We need one language so we can communicate with each other,and after that speak any language you want.A perfect example is our first lady,class act!

no kiddin - I believe I heard the new First Lady speaks 5 languages (?) That gives just a small idea of how intelligent she is!!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• English is the official language of the USA. In order to become a citizen you must speak and read English. My wife, sister in law, and their grandmother all just became citizens. My personal feelings are that whitehouse.gov should strictly be English until such a time as English is no longer the official language. We need to operate as a country, not a halfway house.

• I do appreciate the clarification. Please do not think that I am upset or anything -- I am very much enjoying this civil and very respectful discourse. It's not often I can have one like this without someone getting all kinds of butthurt. I try to keep my side civil too, although I'm not always able to do so in person. I can keep my mouth shut, but apparently my face tells you exactly what I'm thinking and things go downhill from there. :D

Can you define "American"? I don't mean to be snarky, I am legitimately interested to see what being an "American" means to you.

same here

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• I do appreciate the clarification. Please do not think that I am upset or anything -- I am very much enjoying this civil and very respectful discourse. It's not often I can have one like this without someone getting all kinds of butthurt. I try to keep my side civil too, although I'm not always able to do so in person. I can keep my mouth shut, but apparently my face tells you exactly what I'm thinking and things go downhill from there. :D
    Can you define "American"? I don't mean to be snarky, I am legitimately interested to see what being an "American" means to you.

I look in the mirror and see one :):D:D:thumbsup:

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• Can you define "American"? I don't mean to be snarky, I am legitimately interested to see what being an "American" means to you.

With my family history being one of service, being a military brat myself (actually born on base) growing up on base educated in military multi national schools in several countries and continuing the tradition for most of my adult life any definition I give will more than likely come out sounding like a monologue from a Bruce Willis or Stalone film :)

But it can be summed up as love of, loyalty to, and appreciation of country including its history.

• I hate to be a freedom of speech buzz kill here as I have always been a staunch supporter no matter how stupid that speech may be. I do, however, take issue about assimilation. Muslims have created massive problems in Europe immigrating and basically setting up their own country within that country. They abide by their own laws (Sharia) and law enforcement does not even go into these areas. If you are immigrating to the US - ENGLISH is main spoken English of the land just like German is spoken in Germany and Spanish is spoken in Mexico. I don't care what your 1st language is - if you want to speak it - that is your prerogative but don't expect me to have to speak or write it. If you are coming to America you should be able to blend into the mainstream and live your life as you wish not infringing on another trying to change the morals and beliefs of the most successful country in history. If that is your goal - stay or go back where you come from!!!

Bill, a couple of thoughts for you. First, we aren't Germany, and I did specify that immigrants have to abide within the boundaries of our existing laws. Just ask those people now imprisoned or charged for crimes that would be "norms" under their societal laws (I remember a stoning rather recently for instance). But if you are going there, then you can't just specify Muslims. Extreme Christians cause their own issues, as do extreme Mormons, extreme militants, extreme NRA members, extreme pro-choice members, anyone related to PETA (kidding kinda), etc. The common theme there is EXTREME. We like to point out how many gun owners in the US did not shoot someone when there is a gun incident. There were 3.3 million Muslims in 2015 in the US (according to the Pew Research Center). How many of them have gone through their day today without killing someone in the name of jihad, or stoning a member of their family, or otherwise violating the laws of this nation while still maintaining the facets of their faith?

Yes, English is primarily spoken in the US. But which form would you like to use? Standard American English? African American English (and yes, that is recognized as it's own language)? British English? Or perhaps we should use Greek or Latin as much of our language is adapted from one of those? Or should we use Spanish since it is one of the most rapidly growing languages in the world? Or Chinese as it is becoming one of the most important for business development and growth? Or perhaps we should really return to our roots and use Navajo? Or Apache? The point is that there is no "standard" English spoken in the United States. Schools work very hard (ask @MiM) to provide English as a Second Language (ESL) instructors for those students whose primary language is not English (and I'm not just speaking about Spanish speaking students. There are school districts that represent over 39 world languages in a single district), but there is a dearth of instructors. What do you want kids to do? They cannot magically learn our language, much less be proficient in it overnight.

And what is the definition of mainstream? What are the mainstream beliefs right now? Yours? Mine? @Tripod's? Who defines what mainstream is? Mainstream happens to be whatever the popular theory of the day happens to be - whether it is right or not. Should we be limited to American food, too, if languages should be "mainstreamed"? Should dances be reduced to "American" dancing so as not to interfere with cultural integration? What is the mainstream religion? What are the mainstream societal beliefs? This is a slippery slope determined by whom? You? Me? The Supreme Court? Congress? It sure isn't in the Constitution that you spent so many years following, and I spent defending.

Our country may be successful, but any nation that does not learn how to adapt falls. And every great civilization has collapsed at some point, many of which due to internal divisions. Rigidity and inflexibility often lead to breaking.

• English is the official language of the USA. In order to become a citizen you must speak and read English. My wife, sister in law, and their grandmother all just became citizens. My personal feelings are that whitehouse.gov should strictly be English until such a time as English is no longer the official language. We need to operate as a country, not a halfway house.

We technically have no official language. Yes, you must be able to speak it to gain citizenship, but there is no law requiring the use of English. It's been a point of contention for a while.

• English is the official language of the USA

While it was proposed by John Adams to the Continental Congress and many times since the US is one of few countries who does not legally define an official state language ..

It's been addressed many times in our history with a big push by Teddy Rosevelt, he famously said:

We have room for but one language in this country, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house.

But even he could not push through legislation as it was deemed a violation of the first amendment and "a threat to individual liberty" ...

I remember being taught Ben Franklin pointed out how many languages where spoken in the US and by the signers at the time the Constitution was written including American Indian dialects but forget exactly where it came from ....