TURBOS ONLY

• My oil cooler is a bit bigger than the DDMWorks one and it is front mounted in front of the radiator. I would imagine I get a bit more of a cooling effect than having it side mounted.

The Evans flush isn't complicated per se, but it is a bit of a pain in the ass. I pulled the hoses at a couple locations and used my shop vac to blow air through the lines. It makes a bit of a mess. Then I ran some flush through it, getting up to operating temp, let it cool and drain again. Then I blew air through the lines a second time, tightened everything back up and filled it with the Evans.

Guess we can save that mess for another wrench day.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• As long as you got some good catch pans, your garage is more than adequate to handle this task. I'm sure the confines of my tight garage and freezing my ass off were some of the contributing factors to being a PITA. If you want to do it on that Friday we come down, I'm sure we can knock it out!

• Greetings! I would like to pull some info from this forum about a couple motors I am building for our Slingshot, the engines are LE5 2.4 Ecotec, I have built a few V8's NA Ford/Chev this is my first Turbo build but I am in good hands with the Fab Factory. I would like to push 450 WHP out of this and as you can see I have motors to break if needed! The best dyno pull we have seen from this stock motor was 279whp 283wtq with a super fat tune on the ECM from Bob in cali (his first attempt) I know I am going to install ARP head bolts and stick with the stock crank, With some type of forged piston/Rods, Most likely gonna go with a standalone Haltech only because I feel like our hands are tied when on the dyno.

couple thoughts
    counterbalance delete?
    Head?
    Cams?
    VVT or delete?
    Pistons?
    Ring Gap?

Lets see what you guys have to say?

Bullet

• Bob

good to se you here
    Best person to talk with is @rabtech
    He pulled 430 plus hp with forged pistons and rods, Hahn Turbo with race exhaust / the only issue was lean at the top end
    Now at 467 with the addition of a Haltech all issues solved and as far as I know they are being conservative

I am at 380+ with forged pistons and rods - Hahn turbo and side exhaust - the exhaust is choking me.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• counterbalance delete? - The balance shaft delete will gain you some power at the wheels in the upper RPM range. As you spin the engine faster the balance shafts put more load on their bearings and create more heat which equates to a loss in power out of the engine. Not huge gains in power, but if you need every last 5-10HP at the wheels it can be done. We typically leave them in though. If you do delete them, make sure to block off the oil passages that feed the bearings for them, or you will have a oil pressure drop in the system.

Head? - We did several ported heads 5-6 years ago and did not see huge gains from the porting. We had 3 different companies port them with impressive gains on the flow bench, but none of them really gained us huge power or other gains. We are looking into that more though and is something we have on the back burner.

Cams? - Cams are a little tricky, we have been working on the supercharger ones for awhile now to get it right. We have another set of less aggressive cams coming that should work a little better with the stock ECM also.

VVT or delete? - Definitely keep VVT active, it is great when tuned properly to help with the turbo spool and ultimate power

Pistons? - We use custom Wiseco's with Ceramic coated tops and slick coated sides on all of our builds right now. We have another custom piston option in the works that will be available soon also. Alpha is using Arias non coated pistons in their builds. With higher horsepower turbo builds I would strongly recommend replacing the pistons to something made for forced induction since it will afford a lot more protection to the piston from the heat that is found in a turbo engine.

Ring Gap? Depends on your engine builder preference and pistons used.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

• A couple other things about the dyno numbers that you saw, you should have a higher drivetrain loss with the 4 wheel conversion than the stock 3 wheel setup also, so do not expect to make the same power as the 3 wheel Slingshots at comparable flow rates.

Also, that engine that you posted in your pictures looks like a used engine, please make sure to replace all of the plastic guides for the timing chain when you build that one up. Those plastic guides will get brittle and break on higher mileage engines. I am guessing with your level of detail it is something that you would do anyway, but just want to make sure since some people will not replace them when building their engines and it will become a problem later.

• A couple other things about the dyno numbers that you saw, you should have a higher drivetrain loss with the 4 wheel conversion than the stock 3 wheel setup also, so do not expect to make the same power as the 3 wheel Slingshots at comparable flow rates.

Also, that engine that you posted in your pictures looks like a used engine, please make sure to replace all of the plastic guides for the timing chain when you build that one up. Those plastic guides will get brittle and break on higher mileage engines. I am guessing with your level of detail it is something that you would do anyway, but just want to make sure since some people will not replace them when building their engines and it will become a problem later.

our AFR was below 8.0 when we came into boost and dropped off the map..... should have been 12.0 so we where losing power based on that. We are also thinking we might need to move some O2 bungs around due to turbulence that Noel pointed out and also proved on a test drive. I have to get with Noel and see about getting another ECM flashed based on the dyno results. But FF is gonna tweak the bung locations and I thing dyno pulls will be necessary. Thank you for the information. btw Private message me I have a customer that wants to go supercharged.

Thanks for the info Dave

Bullet

• I am reading through all of this info now. 450HP will be a piece of cake for you. Dave will steer you in the corrext direction. And I'm sure others will also. I can tell you that one Friday and Saturday I watched my Slingshot make at least 50 red line ear piercing runs. It has to be built well to take that over and over.

I can also attest to keeping the VVT. Once Dave started playing with those parameters I started seeing gains down on the low side...