For those with the Clarion CMS5 black box

• For those with the Clarion CMS5, I have read where most people have put the black box in the dash behind the controller. I see that it will fit and have some room for all the wiring and harnesses.

If so, how did you mount / secure the black box behind the controller?

Thanks

• I probably went a little overboard with my effort to insulate the Infotainment cubby area, but here's my thread - Insulating the Infotainment Cubby Area From Engine Compartment Heat. When you get down to it, to open the cubby area fro access from above, all you really need to do is remove the mirrors and the 8 T40 bolts/screws securing the dash top to the rest of the dash. The main thing you want to do is reduce the hot engine compartment air, as much as possible, from getting into the cubby area. The templates make it relatively easy to cut the pieces needed to close off and insulate the cubby area. If you don't want to use sheet metal as the backing of the heat wall, I'd recommend at least using some waxed or plastic-coated cardstock since either should be easy to cut and position, yet provide more durability than simple cardboard.
    Assuming you can cut sheet metal, it's not too hard to cut a piece to mount the radio electronics on and mount it either horizontally or vertically. I prefer the vertical position as it allows for more air flow than mounting the electronics on the bottom of the cubby area.

• For those that have added new head units or the Clarion, did anyone remove the stock blackbox entirely?

I wanted to check my initial connections for the Clarion controller and black box, so I ran wires to the new amp, power to the amp, and wired up two new speakers.

Reconnected the battery and turned on ignition to accessory position.

The Bluetooth on my iPhone connected to / through the stock Slingshot radio and began playing Pandora through the stock speakers still installed.

You have to disconnect the antenna wire from the box above and connect to the Clarion black box.

I was playing FM through the Clarion and new speakers while Pandora was playing through the stock speakers.

Looking at the setup, I expect the stock black box has the Bluetooth controller, amp, speaker connection, etc for stock.

So I want to know if the stock black box / part can be removed or does it do some other functions as well?

Guess I could unplug it and see what happens!

• @jluna317 - thank you. Been thinking it through and would make sense to pull the stock black box. Gives plenty of room for the CMS5 box.

The CMS5 can support a number of connections, video feeds, sources, etc that could be needed in a boat - it is overkill for the Slingshot so will zip tie and tuck the unused wires away.

Will also look to insulate the firewall as well - it is just a big tunnel from the engine compartment into that area of the dash.

Would be nice to find a way to route cool air into the dash - an air scoop built into the lower windshield routing air into the dash area with the ability to close if raining or cold.

If I had a madstad adjustable windshield, I would build in a little scoop in the top center of the dash.

I can visualize it but don't have the skills and tools to execute it!

• Honestly I've had the unit for close to a year now and did a 5000 mile round trip never had any issues with the heat affecting the black box.like u stated above it's designed for boats and boats just sit there in the sun getting beat on. I have like a thin peice of foam behind it. The black box will handle the heat you should be fine

• I removed all the OEM radio parts no problem. On mounting the CMS5 I used SlingMods Amp mounting plate to mount the black box in the dash and drilled some holes in the mounting plate for cooling the black box so far no issues

• I didn't post how I ended up mounting the CMS5 black box.

Basically, using the stock mounting plate, I adapted / bolted two metal roofing straps to the stock mounting bracket first, then the Blackbox to the strap. Had to drill a few holes in the strap but that was easy.

This approach allowed me to slide the box up and down (there are long oval / oblong slots on the side of Blackbox) to maximize connection and wiring space.

I also tucked the stock wiring harness behind the Clarion black box.