Swingarm slack update

• Ive been having a drive belt YELL at me for about a month or so, thought the bad wheel bearings caused it but after a more depth inspection, I have found slack in the swing arm.... front to back on the belt side, the belt has to be off but there is 5-7mm of slack, im assuming one or more of the roller bearings on the swing arm pivot shaft is worn. But when it hits its worn sweet spot the swing arm is pulled forward by the belt causing the pulley to angle left causing the belt to hit the edge of the pulley very hard and yell at me ;) let's see if this is a warranty item shall we... :)

I've Google the crap outta this and I can't find any other swing arm issues besides breaking in half. Why am I having all these bearing issues, axle bearings, now swingarm bearing/bushings really? I have 8000 miles, I don't do donuts or burnouts, I do however drive it like I ride a sportbike "and no I'm not a squid rider either lol" I'm slow in the straight and quick in the twisties.

• Ive been having a drive belt YELL at me for about a month or so, thought the bad wheel bearings caused it but after a more depth inspection, I have found slack in the swing arm.... front to back on the belt side, the belt has to be off but there is 5-7mm of slack, im assuming one or more of the roller bearings on the swing arm pivot shaft is worn. But when it hits its worn sweet spot the swing arm is pulled forward by the belt causing the pulley to angle left causing the belt to hit the edge of the pulley very hard and yell at me ;) let's see if this is a warranty item shall we... :)

I've Google the crap outta this and I can't find any other swing arm issues besides breaking in half. Why am I having all these bearing issues, axle bearings, now swingarm bearing/bushings really? I have 8000 miles, I don't do donuts or burnouts, I do however drive it like I ride a sportbike "and no I'm not a squid rider either lol" I'm slow in the straight and quick in the twisties.

Good luck--- Dealer changed my friend's bearings today. The first bearings that they had changed out. They started at 9/30 AM and finished around 3 PM. The needles fell out when they pulled the axle out. Maybe they will not have that much trouble with mine on Thurs. since now they know how to do it. Nothing like on the job training, right

• Depends on if you have the new double nut with the strong loctite

Nope, pulled his and mine less than 3 weeks ago to grease and take pictures. No loctite on either one. Last grease on my lasted 20,000 miles from clicking to clicking. IMHO I would advise everyone to pull and grease every 10,000 miles. Just buy torque and socket off of e-bay and do it. 30 to 45 minutes for an old man with a bad back. It just might save you a break down on the road.

• I am talking about swing arm pivot bearings.......

I am thinking the swing arm bushing on the pulley side is not locked into the frame, that would allow the swing arm to move. Start by checking the torque on the nut, torque is 195 ft#. If it is out of spec, remove the swing arm to check bushings, frame, and bearings. I would not continue to drive it until you know what the problem is, in this location damage to the frame could occur through continued movement. I doubt the bearings are the issue. If the bushing is not locked into the frame, just tightening the nut may not seat the bushing if something is already damaged.

• Mine yells at me too 12,000 miles on it I will jack it up to see if there is any play in the bushing.
    kind of sounds like your cutting something on a lathe with out cutting fluid.

• Mine yells at me too 12,000 miles on it I will jack it up to see if there is any play in the bushing.

Mine only yells at me on two occasions. When she has sat in the garage for more than 24 hours and when I don't shift until 7300 rpm. In both cases I listen.

Yes sir! You just nailed my noise! And i also get a loud pop when shifting hard or certian bumps. I did have to pull my belt "slipped it off front pulley when cold" right hand on the pivot shaft facing the back side of the wheel push and pull from the other side of the wheel mine has very noticeable slack...

• I am thinking the swing arm bushing on the pulley side is not locked into the frame, that would allow the swing arm to move. Start by checking the torque on the nut, torque is 195 ft#. If it is out of spec, remove the swing arm to check bushings, frame, and bearings. I would not continue to drive it until you know what the problem is, in this location damage to the frame could occur through continued movement. I doubt the bearings are the issue. If the bushing is not locked into the frame, just tightening the nut may not seat the bushing if something is already damaged.

Torqued good btw, 1st thing I checked :)

• Seems odd that the torque would be correct with movement at the pivot point. If the bearing is the culprit then you should visibly see the swing arm move with the pivot bolt staying stationary. With 5-7mm movement it should be easy to see where the movement is. If it is in the pivot the swing arm will need to be removed for inspection regardless of the issue.