swapping out for 2006 LE5

• looking to swap out the motor for a 2006 le5 and am wondering if anyone has done the same and if you have are there any issues with clearance and any issue with my alpha turbo staying in its same location just looking to what expect before i get in to things. figured this way out is a lot cheaper and maybe just as reliable comparing the prices between building a motor out and just swapping. looking for any info or suggestions

• Same exact engine.... The slightly stronger rods in the early years are slightly better then the later years. However the LE5 and the LE9 are exactly the same engine. The LE9 designation was applied to the LE5 after some slight modification to internal components such as the type of metals the valves were made from to take the corrosive properties or E85 fuel. However the LE9 in the Slingshot cant be fed the corn fuel... SO it might as well be a LE5..

• No its still perfect.. My stock engine is as tough as a 20 penny nail. I just want to go on up past 8.5 PSI of boost. Probably 14 with this new engine. I just know the limit of the stock cast pistons and the stock rods and factory bolts and studs.

DDM built this engine I'm installing. It should take some.serious abuse. We will know shortly.

• He didn't blow it up he just went with a stronger motor to run higher boost.
    His motor was pretty damn good just the way it was - not many of us could keep up with him. His only problem was like all of us he wanted more. Now he has it

Yep, but it didn't take you long to put the work order in to DDM to have your new power plant built!!!

Now I wonder how long it will be till @Wrenchmn , @funinthesun , @StickerDick , @kenny_h has a deposit sent to @Dave@DDMWorks :D:D:D:D

I guess I need to stop typing and get back to turning wrenches!

• For the original post, unless you know the LE5 is one with the forged rods, there is bo reason to swap out the LE9 for an used LE5 unless your engine is blown.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• He stated pulling a 2006 motor. It is my understanding that everything in 2006 and 2007 is forged.

Now finding one with low enough miles just to swap it may be a long shot...

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Anyways, not sure the rods alone are the issue with boosting the LE9.

Head lift, rings, pistons... If they are the same, would end being an issue to serious boost (over 8psi).

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• ya from my understanding the 2006 and half of 2007 le5's were built with forged rods and pistons,spoke to bob about it and he said would be great he said throw some arp studs in there and your ready to rock. I've also seen bill hahn talking about and comparing the older le5 in the forums. I'm pretty sure i even read he has seen people produce up to 400hp on those stock internals i could be wrong but I'm sure i read it somewhere and for 600 bucks its a cheap mod got it with 63k,and at that price i mean personally ill keep blowing through them till I'm bored. gonna do maintenance to it before i swap it like timing chain tensioners water etc.got my own shop and mechanic so work is on the house. ill prob put the stock to the side and build out little by little.but really i am appreciating all the feed back. definitely listening and taking all of it into consideration

• I think you have a great idea, especially considering you can swap the motor yourself. It wouldn't be the end of the world if you blew a $600 motor anyways.

What turbo kit are you running and where are you located at?

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• That was my next thing to mention. Most of the 2006 and 07 engines are going to have a ton of miles on them. They would need to be checked for compression and leak down. Also the main issue is the timing chain and the recalled tensioner. Make sure you change all those parts. The timing chain guard on the top will be worn smooth off most likely. Your talking about a 10 year old engine. So it's probably seen its share of road time. Nothing wrong with that at all. You just want to make sure you don't end up pulling out the engine for something that could have been avoided.

• If your changing the engine for a little more reliability then you will be fine. However I didn't notice if yall mentioned in the previous post about the pistons. They would be the same as the newer models. Without changing the cast pistons out your still limited to 10 psi. But that would be fine. Because Hahn X2 peaks at about 9PSI and I think Alpha is set at 8PSI. So you would be fine. I just wanted to make sure that someone reading this thread didn't try to pump a ton of boost into one of those older LE5 engines. That would make for a bad day.

• Take my above posts as me being all for the swap. It sounds like I'm downing those engines when I re read what I posted and I didn't mean it to come off that way. I even have a 2007 in my barn I was going to use. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew to check the older engines out good and not to use one of them as a replacement for a forged engine.

• Hey Rab didn't even look at it like you were downing the swap like I said I'm definitely listening to everyone's advice I'm just really trying to get down to the bottom of this forged pistons and rods situation because everything im reading is saying they are.and this motor has 63k on it so hopefully not to much abuse but I will make sure to check all the compressions and definitely will be replacing the chain and tensioners etc etc just not messing with the rods and Pistons gonna save all that to put in the stock motor basically just using this motor as a temporary so I have no down time while I'm building in the winter i live in mass and the winters have been funny out here barely anymore snow so wanna still drive the sling around well have the options to

• so has any one tried swapping their spring out on their wastegate on the alpha setup, or will producing more boost need another tune I mean obviously when I ask I mean trying this with anything but the stock motor. From my understanding with a 2 bar you can run up to 14psi, changing of the spring of course and clearly not on stock motor. Would like to know if that info is Definitely correct I read it on precisions website gives you the specs on the website. I figure alpha intentionally doesn't send you the springs the wastegate kit is suppose to come with so people don't try it out maybe I don't know I feel like I am just asking to many questions now :)