Crash survival

• My 2019 Polaris slingshot did not survive her second crash but I did. I have always described the Singshot's crash safety as either the most dangerous car or the safest motorcycle.

My first accident was in July of 2021 and involved someone who was baked driving his Yukon SUV at 50mph though a red light. A dashcam behind showed the left turners completing their turn and as I was slow off the light it was green for at least 5 seconds before he entered the intersection. I saw him out of the corner of my eye and broke traction so I was sliding sideways when we impacted. the front wheel hit and the hood of course came apart but other than that I thought I got lucky. But the frame was kinked so as I loved the Ecotec engine I had her rebuilt on a new frame (It sat 6 mos as the dealer did not know he had to send in the VIN number cut out to get the replacement frame).

After 10 mos of no slingshot I was able to drive it for around 5 more before the second accident. I was on the freeway and the car ahead made a sudden stop. As I had a safe following distance I stopped 10 feet behind her but the Toyota Tundra behind me did not. He pushed me into the car in front and then explained that he didn't stop in time as his brakes were bad (driving in fast lane at 80 mph and hit me at around 40 mph).

The second crash my hand was on the stick (manual) and my elbow tried to go through a screw in the plastic b/t the seats. The tubular steel frame of my vehicle penetrated his radiator so he was going nowhere. The vehicle did not get anywhere near the gas tank behind the driver's seat as the back wheel (I had the right angle drive brace) and the upper deck really kept it away and I almost stopped his vehicle with my 3 tires digging in so the car in front only got a love tap.

I post this to say if I was on a regular motorcycle I would most likely be dead in both accidents and also to let you know no matter how safe you drive you don't know until someone hits you if their brakes are working.

Also realize the side protection of this vehicle is hardly anything so even when you have the green light keep your head on a swivel for the idiots. In the Pictures below the bottom is the first accident.

• Well that sucks Zhukov ! Glad to hear you weren't hurt worse. I was rear ended in my 1st Sling and the slight bit of frame damage was enough to total the vehicle. I'm curious if it was your choice to rebuild on a new frame. My insurance didn't even consider that option because of cost. Are you going to rebuild it again?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I think one of your other posts indicated you live in Australia, did accidents happen there or in the US? Hope you will be able to get things right. know it's difficult to get parts overseas.

• My choice and it was around $20 K in parts and $15K in labor when I got around $25K from insurance with my aftermarket parts.

My reason was the 2019 has the Ecotec engine and I am hoping to work a Military job in Germany and retire to Australia (wife is an Aussie) and you can find parts to that engine anywhere. Also with the new emissions controls you have a better chance importing 2019 or earlier as they have many older cars that run on that engine in countries where it is illegal to import a new slingshot.

The Polaris dealer in Port Macquarie NSW has all kinds of off road vehicles and parts but is not able to get anything for a slingshot or even order it as it is not in his supply chain. However I can get parts for say a "Chevy Cobalt" or "Pontiac Solstice" at around half the price in the same town.

I am not rebuilding as the damage was more extensive and the engine was not running. The first accident I was able to drive out of the intersection with my wobbly wheel.

• My choice and it was around $20 K in parts and $15K in labor when I got around $25K from insurance with my aftermarket parts.

My reason was the 2019 has the Ecotec engine and I am hoping to work a Military job in Germany and retire to Australia (wife is an Aussie) and you can find parts to that engine anywhere. Also with the new emissions controls you have a better chance importing 2019 or earlier as they have many older cars that run on that engine in countries where it is illegal to import a new slingshot.

The Polaris dealer in Port Macquarie NSW has all kinds of off road vehicles and parts but is not able to get anything for a slingshot or even order it as it is not in his supply chain. However I can get parts for say a "Chevy Cobalt" or "Pontiac Solstice" at around half the price in the same town.

I am not rebuilding as the damage was more extensive and the engine was not running. The first accident I was able to drive out of the intersection with my wobbly wheel.

A year ago I helped a young man in Switzerland get some parts. He had a used Canadian Slingshot and wanted to add some USA style parts. Had a Polaris near him but they could order USA parts. My USA dealer would not ship to him. I bought what he needed/wanted and shipped them to him. The long way around but we made it happen. We way I wanted it to work was once he received parts he could send me money. He did a bank transfer the day he got the parts. We just talked over the forum and e-mail ... sometimes was fun ... his computer translated language.