Starter Help???

• Yes The Polaris alarm...that said....if you rock the SS in gear to get the starter to move slightly...it starts....I asked if it could be the starter relay heating up...he wasn't sure..

As far as the dealer knows there aren't any starter issues or issues with feeling the SS slightly lurch during higher speeds...he claims new SS have a slight lurch issue...

The reason I ask about the alarm is that I was having the exact same issue with the starter clicking after I went for an extended ride. I had an Encore alarm installed. After weeks of exhausting troubleshooting, it turned out that there was actually an issue with the "brain" of the alarm. It had a starter kill feature that wouldn't allow the starter signal to complete its path. After removing the defective alarm, everything was good.

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

• WOW, Thanks, I think mine has that feature also....I'm going to relay that message to my dealer today. He can do searches with Polaris about reported problems and fixes. The only click I hear is the slight click the start button makes....it's not very loud and it's not the dead battery clicks....

Did they install another alarm system? I'm wondering if there is a timer setting or something built into the alarm....it's really weird it only does it after the SS is hot. Did your SS start if you rocked the SS in gear to move the starter?

• WOW, Thanks, I think mine has that feature also....I'm going to relay that message to my dealer today. He can do searches with Polaris about reported problems and fixes. The only click I hear is the slight click the start button makes....it's not very loud and it's not the dead battery clicks....

Did they install another alarm system? I'm wondering if there is a timer setting or something built into the alarm....it's really weird it only does it after the SS is hot. Did your SS start if you rocked the SS in gear to move the starter?

That's the same click I heard. We just removed the starter kill feature from the alarm system. All I really wanted out of an alarm was perimeter protection. I never tried rocking it in gear. I would either hit the starter button over and over or push it off.

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

• Here is what I have troubleshoot in the past.
    First I do not have a security system.
    When it first started I discovered if I rocked the sling in gear I could get it to start.
    I then changed out the battery and the problem went away for a couple of weeks.
    When it started again I cleaned the corrosion off the battery terminals and it went away for a couple of weeks.
    I then changed the starter which is a pain if you follow the directions in the manual. If any one needs to change a starter it will be easier to remove the intake first.
    It was good for a couple of weeks again.
    Lately I changed the negative ground and once again it returned.
    Today I pulled and swaped relays, breakers, and fuses. I checked battery voltage which was 12.5 at the battery and the starter. The voltage stayed at 12.5 when the starter button was pushed and it went click.
    The last thing I did was disconnect the Digital Guard Dawg and it started without rocking it.
    I am going to do some troubleshooting on the DGD system and give it a couple of weeks to see what happens. There might be a difference in the power going to the start relay with the DGD than with just the key. We will see.

• Used to have the same problem on an old stick shift Jeep I had. Starter solenoid was bad and every once in a while wouldn't start. I would make the girlfriend at the time get out and give it a little push. And it would fire right up. It was a real hillbilly operation. She would get so mad because it would be raining or we would be out four Wheeling and I would tell her I need you to push because I have to mess with the shifter. That was not true. All the problem was the starter had to be spun alittle. But she didn't know that. But on a new SS it should be a warranty item.

• Well, today the starter acted up again after a loooong ride. And sitting for about 3 hours.

After cycling the key again still nothing....I got out and swapped the relays and....it started. Without rocking the bike...

I swapped it with the accessory relay...if they act up I'll know why..