Push Starting the Slingshot

• Annudder rescue...

Been searching the forums and reading a lot of threads with no definitive answer. After a recent discharged battery while working various mods, questions of self reliability arose. In my case, the battery dropped out so low that the sling would not pop the instrument self test, no fuel pump, no headlights, and only indication that the key had gone into the ignition position was the illuminated red start button. We know with out that fuel pump, this thing is not gonna start. But, if there is enough juice to kick the fuel pump... can the Slingshot be push started? From what I have seen in other posts, the clutch safety switch may now play a part in that not happening. When it's time to stretch a leg, I am usually in the middle of no where. I may have to re-think that or invest in a jump pack. Oh, and I have since upgraded from that ATV battery to the Optima Yellow Top battery.

So, yay or nay, push start?

@Tripod replied:
    I tested mine on a hill when I first got it as I was curious also. Key ON, let it build a little speed & popped the clutch out (I was in 3rd gear) & it fired right up.

@funinthesun replied:
    It is possible, but not one of the easiest things to do. To prove this as being the truth, try running at speed (say 40 mph) and press in the clutch and shut the engine off. Wait until it shuts off completely, and turn the key back on and release the clutch. It will start 100% of the time. Now to do this with a dead battery makes it a LOT more difficult. First, you need to get a real good arte of speed, so hopefully you'll be on the top of a hill. You'll also need to have some voltage to activate the fuel pump, or have enough residual fuel pressure in the lines to provide the initial fuel to start it. You can ask Noel@cyclesprings. he's tried it and it wasn't one of his favorite projects. But then he's here in Florida where finding a hill is not too common. To play it safe, just buy the Cycle Springs jump start ports and carry a battery pack and you'll never have to worry about this issue.

@Guardian_Angel replied:
    Installed the bigger battery with the side posts as well as top posts... have a trickle charger in tow at all times.... which isnt the best option available, but storage limitations are what they are... wouldnt it be nice if we could pack supplies for every possible "oops, uh oh, oh no, dang it! "? Not feasible in the least.
    @Funinthesun, You mentioned the clutch engaged, turn engine off, then restart.. @airoutlaw was thinking the clutch would have to be disengaged for a rolling start, just as it has to be disengaged to start normally. It doesnt start without your foot on the clutch...
    So..... basically if your stranded on flat ground, by yourself, with a dead battery in need of a run and start to revive it.... your simply S.O.L.

@funinthesun replied:
    Correct about the SOL. The clutch pedal needing to be depressed to start (the normal way) is the safety feature built in to not allow the starter to engage, but roll starting any vehicle does not use the starter, so no to that question.

These are from my content... I have no plans to pull others content:ie; Pictures, ideas, postings... Clear text in response to my content I believe to be shared content...
    If anyone sees fault in this, SPEECH UP!

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS: