QA 1 shock question

• Do these need to be rebuilt or refurbished after time? Mine are about 6 years old, and seem to develop squeaks.

Also, if I want to increase ride height, which way do I adjust large washers?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Do these need to be rebuilt or refurbished after time? Mine are about 6 years old, and seem to develop squeaks.

The QA1 shocks can be rebuilt and is typically based on mileage and use of the shocks. When we have done race shocks in the past, they might be rebuilt with less than 1000 miles on them, but those are racing miles. I have heard a lot of people suggest every 50 hours of driving, once a season or 2000 miles for rebuilds, but once again those are on racing applications where you want the best performance possible. Something driven on the street, I would say keep driving them until you can start to notice a difference. You might have to start dialing up the knob to get the same control and road feel, that would definitely mean it is time for a rebuild.

To raise the ride height, move the lower spring mount up, which will compress the spring more (increase spring pre-load), that will raise the Slingshot.

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer or help with.

Dave

I purchased our QA-1 shocks used, and I am not sure if all QA-1 shocks are created the same, but when I initially installed these QA-1's the rear shock was at it's limit. I found this out when it would bottom out over the likes of speed bumps. So, if our shock(s) are any example, there is not much adjustment as far as height is concerned?

Added note: Though I checked the ride height of the front shocks before installing the QA-1s, (which was right on!), I failed to check the height of the rear of the SlingShot before installing the QA-1's, so it may have already been altered from stock height?

Bill

• Bill, the rear ride height should be noticeably higher/lower if the previous owner had the spring preload altered. But more importantly, I'd be more inclined to think the previous owner used a softer rear spring and maybe even softer front springs. Polaris uses 185lb front springs and 350lb rear spring. If he used a softer rear spring for ride softness, it could be the reason to have the rear shock bottom out over speed bumps. If you know someone who has the same QA1 shocks that you have and is willing to swap the rear over to your Slingshot as a test, that could help you narrow down the cause. Or if you could remove the spring and have a way to test the spring pressure, you'd know for sure. Springs are relatively cheap enough that you could just buy a new 350lb rear spring and install it at the factory ride height and see if it works better for you. Not cheap, but at least then you'd know for sure just what you have on the back of your ride

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE