DDMWorks Side Hood Vents

• so is hard doing the cutout? I ordered mine and am anxiously awaiting them coming in. I bought the rotary that Dave @ddmworks said was the best to use and that they use. I cant wait to get them installed. I am excited. Its been awhile since i added a mod. lol.

• There was a doctor that did do his own do-it-yourself-vasectomy. Then there was the Navy doctor that did mine I don't think he had ever done one before mind. Ended up loosing one of the boys.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• yes the side hood vents. I ordered them on the 26th and cant wait to get them installed. I also now have something else i can do cause i seen a guy on one of the facebook forums that did it so now i am doing that in the next couple of days.

Are the screens drop in on the lower part? Or do you have to cut out the fender? Looks great!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• you have to cut it out, you can use a dremel or rotary and cut it out. the person that did those in the pic said he used 3m double sided tape to make them stick. I am not going to chance it and i am going to use pop rivets. I was debating whether i should use my RIVNUT that way i can screw and unscrew them if i need to replace or fix them. Because pop rivets are not easy to remove and would mess up the plastic if something happens.

I am wanting to do this to help on the air flow through the fender area. At higher speeds this would help reduce that front end lift and resistance behind the wheel.

• So when you do the cut are you cutting about 10% less than the screen area for it to sit on? Every time I wash my sling I always think about the possibility of drilling a very small hole in these areas to let the water drain out . Now I have the tough skin inserts so it’s less of an issue I really like the screen look but I’m just wondering how clean it will be after cutting plastic. It would be really cool for you to do a step-by-step process when you do this.

Not trying to poo poo this thing for you but I’m not sure how much airflow you’re really gonna gain doing this. It looks more like aesthetics to me which I really like and if I were to do it I would perhaps maybe just drop them in for the look and not cut anything. DDM always makes really cool stuff regardless of which way you go.

• SoCal , I am going to follow the lines from the top and then install the mesh underneath so it will be larger and i can screw it in with the rivnut. you can leave as much as you want to the sides of the piece underneath without causing an issue as well having the nuts to the outside of the hole about 1/4". The double sided tape thing sounds good and probably looks better from the top, however, once it gets wet or too hot, will that piece fall off going down the road? i dont want that. I think the screws will look ok as long as you paint them or something. With the piece on the top portion where the majority of the air flow will go through, i am taking the mesh up under the bolts closest to the sling and then putting two rivnuts on the outside. That should hold with no problems. Otherwise i need to think of a way to connect it at the very top of the design. Which rivnut is my go to for now. lol.

as for amount of air flow, on the 2015 model, the fender well has those three holes on the bottom of the mudguard, and that takes some pressure off. I am sure it wont allow a "ton" of air through but it will help reduce it, along with the side hood vents.

• My LED lighting on my frame is held on with 3M double stick tape and it is not falling off. Just be sure clean the surface and use 3M primer.

thats true, my lights are the same, but i think the mesh is a little different only due to the fact that it is heavier than the leds and not being held tight over an extended length. I still think i am going to go with the rivnuts. If i did use the tape and the mesh fell off for whatever reason, I could easily go back and buy new mesh, but i am trying to avoid spending money like that lol.

• Every time I wash my sling I always think about the possibility of drilling a very small hole in these areas to let the water drain out .

I did exactly this after washing it one day a couple months ago. I watched what corners of the triangles the water pooled into, then drilled a 1/16" hole into the bottom of that corner in each triangle. Water drains out fairly slowly since its so small, but its better than having it pool there after washing, driving through water, or getting caught in a small downpour.

• Man I hear you on spending money it doesn't take long to go through my retirement funds each month anymore. I am buying hunting stuff and buy the big item when the checks come in then really cut back the rest of the month.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• The mesh in the fender / mudguard is a DIY thing. The guy that did those in the photo used a different mesh than what i found. But I think I like mine better. I got it at Home Depot for cheap. I am taking the fenders off today and going to start cutting the openings. I will try to take step by step pics so that i can post them on here with how I did it. I am trying to look up a smaller rivnut than what i have at home. the one i currently have is the same 6MM as most other stuff on the SS and I think that might be a bit big for this application.

• I did exactly this after washing it one day a couple months ago. I watched what corners of the triangles the water pooled into, then drilled a 1/16" hole into the bottom of that corner in each triangle. Water drains out fairly slowly since its so small, but its better than having it pool there after washing, driving through water, or getting caught in a small downpour.

Not trying to be showy here but the only time my Sling sees water is at the expense of a hose. I actually think it’s allergic to water! I hit it with the Leaf blower after I clean it. And as Edward Neil can testify our slings are dry in about five minutes tops! This desert air sucks that water up pretty fast and you have to be fast to avoid water spots.

I did some stainless steel mesh on my last sling and seeing these posts revitalizes my interest in getting in that direction again😎