Sea Fiam additive

• Interesting article

Original Question: “How often should you put Sea Foam in your gas tank?

main-qimg-4374d560582f9549397464851c6fd8c5-pjlq

I would suggest that you NEVER put Sea Foam in your gas tank.

Why? You intelligently ask.

Do you know what is actually in that red and white can? No?

OK. I’ll tell you. Sea Foam is made up of 40–60% Pale Oil. That, for you, is baby oil. To that they add 25–35% Naphtha. That is old fashioned dry cleaning solvent…a very weak solvent that is totally incapable of dissolving anything that may be clogging your fuel system. And to that Sea Foam, for good measure, adds 10-20% Isopropyl Alcohol, i.e., rubbing alcohol.

The ingredients in Sea Foam cost less than 20 cents per ounce retail price. Sea Foam buys those cheap ingredients in tankers at industrial prices and repackages them in red and white cans and then sells them to suckers for $10.00 for 16 ounces.

None of those components will clean varnishes or deposits from any part of your fuel system. The solvents are far too weak. When added to a gas tank, moreover, they are so diluted to be essentially meaningless. You would be better off adding snake oil to your car’s gas tank…and Sea Foam would sell you that if it were not a lot harder to get and more expensive than baby oil, dry cleaning solvent, and rubbing alcohol.

Will Sea Foam damage your car? Probably not…or no more than adding a few pennies worth of baby oil and naphtha and alcohol to the tank would. But it sure as hell has nothing in it that can in any way help your car.

If you need a fuel cleaner there are real and honestly marketed products you can buy, such as Techron or 44K. But Sea Foam is one of those companies that spends far more money on marketing than on ingredients and nothing on research and sells to gullible old men who don’t read labels and know nothing about engines.

85.3K viewsView 348 upvotes
    View 1 share

35 comments from Jay Ellis and more More from your Digest

Profile photo for Iono Sama Iono Sama · Follow Avid follower of Military Industry3y

• I had a 96 jeep cherokee that was kinda rough running. Forum folks (my first mistake) said pull that break booster line off firewall when engine running and stick in that seafoam can etc.. Did it, stalled like they said, restarted and took for a drive. I've seen tanks lay smoke screens that couldn't compare to what came out of my exhaust for the next 15 min I'd guess. Got pulled over as folks reported my Jeep driving around on fire. Haven't really used that stuff since although the jeep did run 100% better after that ordeal.