Photo Competition #23 - Your Slingshot In Black&White

• Mine is a really really good charcoal painting. Does that disqualify me?

Just kidding. With digital technology there really is no difference between a pic taken in black and white and one converted.

It's the spirit of the challenge. I don't know what the op was looking for or expected. I assumed it would be an original b&w. But I'm may be wrong. Besides, the pics look great.

• It's the spirit of the challenge. I don't know what the op was looking for or expected. I assumed it would be an original b&w. But I'm may be wrong. Besides, the pics look great.

As mentioned previously with digital photos there is no difference between color and black & white. You can modify the RAW data to other forms with out losing clarity. My Canon Rebel even taking B&W photos still saves the RAW data in full color.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• It's the spirit of the challenge. I don't know what the op was looking for or expected. I assumed it would be an original b&w. But I'm may be wrong. Besides, the pics look great.

Have fun with it! If you notice there is normally a rule about not editing pictures in photoshop etc... That rule has a line through it for this month's competition. Sure it's a mode on most phones and digital cameras, but most folks don't shoot B&W lol

I probably should of used this one represents Colorado better seining that peak in it :)

• As mentioned previously with digital photos there is no difference between color and black & white. You can modify the RAW data to other forms with out losing clarity. My Canon Rebel even taking B&W photos still saves the RAW data in full color.

Actually Would argue that there are differences - in order for a digital camera to produce color images there needs to be a filter array placed in front of the imaging sensor in the camera - usually a "Bayer Filter" - - - unfortunately this filter will reduce ultimate sharpness and the clarity between the various shades of gray that would be available to the sensor if the filter were not there - When we convert these images to black and white we are actually un doing what the Bayer filter did which is a second conversion step which reduces clarity even further - - - these losses are not something most of us would ever even notice, but to hard core black and white photographers they are significant enough that many still shoot B&W film or if they have the funds they invest in a dedicated monochrome digital camera like this - Leica M10 Monochrome - - - - - of course that sucker will set you back around 9k and that is without any lens

now just to be clear my entry was shot in color and converted in post processing to B&W

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• also - in the first paragraph of the OP it says its okay to "take your favorite photo and edit it to B&W" so seems pretty clear to me that converted photos are what's expected - - - seriously doubt many of us actually shoot in B&W

• Actually Would argue that there are differences - in order for a digital camera to produce color images there needs to be a filter array placed in front of the imaging sensor in the camera - usually a "Bayer Filter" - - - unfortunately this filter will reduce ultimate sharpness and the clarity between the various shades of gray that would be available to the sensor if the filter were not there - When we convert these images to black and white we are actually un doing what the Bayer filter did which is a second conversion step which reduces clarity even further - - - these losses are not something most of us would ever even notice, but to hard core black and white photographers they are significant enough that many still shoot B&W film or if they have the funds they invest in a dedicated monochrome digital camera like this - Leica M10 Monochrome - - - - - of course that sucker will set you back around 9k and that is without any lens

now just to be clear my entry was shot in color and converted in post processing to B&W

So, I kept it brief as I didn't think there were any camera buffs here in the forum. But, even you yourself agree that most would not notice any loss converting from color to B&W. With the typical age range on this forum that difference will go unnoticed. I also doubt there are any B&W die hards here that still use that type of film or film in general. At this date it is almost a dead medium.

Also any photographer worth his weight can adjust a converted photo to look like it was shot in B&W as even though they see in color they think in B&W.

Majority of digital cameras have a black and white mode, but still save the RAW file in color like I mentioned previously.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• So, I kept it brief as I didn't think there were any camera buffs here in the forum. But, even you yourself agree that most would not notice any loss converting from color to B&W. With the typical age range on this forum that difference will go unnoticed. I also doubt there are any B&W die hards here that still use that type of film or film in general. At this date it is almost a dead medium.

Also any photographer worth his weight can adjust a converted photo to look like it was shot in B&W as even though they see in color they think in B&W.

Majority of digital cameras have a black and white mode, but still save the RAW file in color like I mentioned previously.

hehehe - - Photography has been a part of my life since the late 60's. In high school I shot pictures for a regular series about desert south west ghost towns called "Desert Ghosts" in a local magazine shot almost exclusively in black & white - - - guess you could have said I was an Ansel Adams wannabe even got to the point where at one time I was dragging around a 4x5 view camera

these days photography is "my other hobby" after the Slingshot and with three digital cameras and 8 or 9 lenses and a bunch of other bodies and lenses that have come and gone it also has consumed $$$

• hehehe - - Photography has been a part of my life since the late 60's. In high school I shot pictures for a regular series about desert south west ghost towns called "Desert Ghosts" in a local magazine shot almost exclusively in black & white - - - guess you could have said I was an Ansel Adams wannabe even got to the point where at one time I was dragging around a 4x5 view camera

these days photography is "my other hobby" after the Slingshot and with three digital cameras and 8 or 9 lenses and a bunch of other bodies and lenses that have come and gone it also has consumed $$$

You got me beat there buddy. I wasn't even born yet. LOL. Now I know who to reach out to when I have questions.

I've got a couple of books full of Ansel's photos. The man had vision!