Rear tire vertical travel

• I acquired a set of shocks from another member a few months back in which while installing I removed the rear shock without first measuring the existing height, so I used the spring adjustment on the shock to return my belt tension to it's original measurement, thinking this should also give me the original height. But, apparently not, for while out on our adventures today I thought that I sensed the rear tire hitting the inside of our first edition Paramount Plastics fender when going over some higher bumps. Maybe I should not have been surprised by this, but after we got home I looked underneath the fender and sure enough the tire had come into contact underneath the fender. There is almost four inches between the top of the tire and inside the fender where I never imagined that the rear tire had that much travel!

Bill

• I ended up mounting my rear fender like they do on dirt bikes...it doesn’t travel up and down with the swing arm. I measured 5 - 5.5” of travel. If you remember the first mounting I did on the swing arm, the fender was coming (bouncing) up and hitting my License plate. That’s why they sell license plate relocation brackets if you use certain fenders. I think I got that measurement with the shock disconnected.

I used this much wood to determine the space I needed so it wouldn’t hit my fender.