Boost and Octane

• I’ve got a stage 1 turbo set up with 6psi of boost and want to add stage 2 for 9psi. I’ve been told I need 93 octane for more than 6psi but then recently was told 91 was fine for 9 psi. Does anyone have experience with running 9 psi on 91 octane that could share your experience?

• Pretty sure he is using a different turbo kit than ours, so if the manufacturer of that kit is saying not to go over 6psi with their tune, I would not go over that. As for our turbo kits, all of them have been tuned on California 91 octane gas, which is far from ideal. We have ran 9psi or higher on our Stage 1, Stage 2 and Stage 3 turbo kits at this point. For the Stage 1 turbo kit to run that higher pressure than the stock kit produces, larger fuel injectors and a different tune are required.

When developing the Stage 1 turbo kit, we wanted to see how far we could push the stock fuel injectors and actually were able to fuel to about 9 psi, then me and Bob really started messing around with some tables in the ECM and actually fueled to around 10psi, but that was the ragged edge of fueling and would strongly advise against anyone doing that on any Slingshot engine they remotely like at all. 6-7psi on stock fuel injectors works well and is a nice kick in the pants for most folks, higher pressure than that requires bigger injectors than stock, but has been done quite a bit since the Slingshot was introduced. Around about 300hp at the rear wheel is all we recommend on stock internals, which is typically around 10ish psi depending on the turbo being used.

Dave