How much blue light is TOO MUCH blue light for the law?

• MY SLR came with the blue/white interior LED light kit installed, wired to a three position rocker switch so I can choose "OFF", "Blue illumination", or "White illumination".

I wasn't satisfied with the amount of light that this kit put out. Each side has just one small LED of each color shining down into the foot well.

So, I got 12" LED strips in blue and white, mounted them under the arm rests, and wired them to come on with the existing three position rocker switch. Both LED strips face downward from the underside of the armrests, with the blue strip towards the inside edge and the white strip towards the outside edge. I mounted them with the blue strip towards the inside edge specifically to reduce the amount of blue light which escapes the interior and makes it to the outside of the Sling.

My question is: Am I putting too much blue light onto the ground to be considered legal with this setup?

Here's the applicable law in Virginia (WVC 17 C- 15 - 26) and it looks like it only deals with flashing blue lights and lights which are visible when viewed directly from the front of the vehicle.

My lights are interior and the lights themselves (light source) cannot be seen from the outside of the vehicle unless you lay or crouch beside it and look up under the arm rests. The law on interior lights says:

"Any motor vehicle may be equipped with fog lights, not more than two of which can be illuminated at any time, one or two auxiliary driving lights if so equipped by the manufacturer, two daytime running lights, two side lights of not more than six candlepower, an interior light or lights of not more than 15 candlepower each, and signal lights." [...]

From what I've been able to find, a blue LED strip emits about 100 lumens per foot. One candle power is equivalent to about 12.57 lumens, so 100 divided by 12.57 equals just under 8 candlepower. That means my lights should be legal for use as interior lights.

Here are some photos. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think (especially those of you with LEO backgrounds).

In all the photos I have on the white illuminated entry sills, and in the second photo I also have my "SS" logo projectors on (mounted inside the mirrors).

• I would hope you are ok with that setup but the best way to find out will be to make friendly with a local LEO. Chances are good they'll have a bunch of questions about how cool your ride is and you can ask them then abiut the LEDs. Better yet, you'll show the local LEO (who you'll probably see more often) that you want to be law abiding and you'll get your answer right from the ticket writers mouth

• I did that and get the thumbs up every time we are out in town and instead of a ticket I get the "chat" while gassing up ... "Ross, you do know that the 45MPH sign is a half mile down the road from where you were going 52MPH - technically it's still 35MPH there. Didn't we talk about this last week too?"

PS. Don't forget to submit photos of you awesome ride to 2019slingshotcalendar@gmail.com

• I think I'll do that. Good idea!!

Good idea on asking a local LEO, all I can say is that here in MN that would get you a ticket, any light visible while moving that is not Red in the back or white/amber on front and white under the carriage gets you a ticket, this is what i was told by local LEO when i showed him my lights.

They don't care what lights are on when you are parked and in "show off" mode but if the sling is moving all bets are off.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Interpretation if the law is "at the time of contact" up to the one enforcing it. Then if it is protested it becomes the responsibility of the courts to decide. Always remember this and the fact that you will never win an argument with an officer on the side of the road. That is what the court system is for and you can be sure that unless the officer is blatantly wrong the judge will side with the officer.

All that being said, as a leo I wouldn't have an issue with your setup as long as the lights were not flashing.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868