One of those days (updated with pictures) - "exploded" angle drive

• Its a 2016. Purchased about a month ago.

I'm thinking I may need an alignment after all this. Closest dealer that does it is about 1.5 hrs away in downtown Philly. Not really loving the thought of getting to this dealership. I may have to drive further to find one not in Philadelphia.

I think DHY in Depford NJ has a laser system and I sure tha Extreme Machines in Millstone NJ has one...Good Luck..There's a lot to be said for not getting stranded or having something like this happen on your way to SSITS...

• I do have a good dealer - Reading Standard Motorsports in Reading PA. It was previously named "Ray's Yamaha" but they changed the name a few years ago when Ray passed away and it was taken over by his son Mike and they also added additional brands to Yamaha - Polaris, Suzuki, etc. It is the oldest family owned Yamaha dealership in the country. I used to work there as a part time salesman in my late teens (seems like a lifetime ago).

The owner is a good person and cares about his customers.

They stayed an hour after closing to get my SS ready when I was purchasing it.

Hopefully this gets corrected as soon as possible and I don't have any more major surprises. Then I can start adding the goodies I bought to the Sling - Stoptech big brake kit, Alpha two way adjustable shocks, etc. :)

• Oh my gosh..... Those pictures are un-freaking believable! I have never seen one split like that....... I haven't even see a car chunk split like that!

WoW
    the dealer must have Hot-Rod'ed the sh_t out of it
    guys with big rear tires, turbo, blowers & V-8"s have not broken rear ends
    .......................................... tom n carol

• WoW the dealer must have Hot-Rod'ed the sh_t out of it
    guys with big rear tires, turbo, blowers & V-8"s have not broken rear ends
    .......................................... tom n carol

I would hope not. Knowing them, I sincerely doubt they did anything unusual. I assume I just got a bad angle drive from the factory since people with much more power (mine is 100% stock at the moment) haven't damaged theirs in a way similar to mine afaik.

I really don't have a clue why it broke other than it was bad from the start. I even had them change the drive fluid at the initial 500 mile service. Maybe they didn't add enough fluid?

Kind of a bummer but as long as its fixed and fixed correctly, it'll be ok. Not much I can do about it anyway.

Staying positive and hoping this is the last major issue.

• Stopped by the dealership today. They just got the replacement unit in. Hopefully it will be installed in the next few days and all will be right with the world :)

Sounds like this may have been the first failure of its type from what the service manager said (speaking for Polaris). Not sure if this is 100% accurate but I haven't heard anywhere online of a similar failure - it split on the case, not at a seam or joint.

Polaris wants it returned along with my steering unit. I guess they want to examine the failures and see what caused them. I assume others have had their steering units returned for similar diagnostics.

• Well the good news is the angle drive was replaced within a week. The new one is MUCH quieter. The previous one had a lot of whine which i thought was normal. Seems it definitely wasn't right from the beginning.

Hopefully it was a one off issue. If this would of happened when i was in the twisties, it would have been really really bad. Gear oil would have dumped on the rear wheel and it would have been all over for the SS and maybe even me.

But at least it didn't take long for it to be fixed.

• Well the good news is the angle drive was replaced within a week. The new one is MUCH quieter. The previous one had a lot of whine which i thought was normal. Seems it definitely wasn't right from the beginning.

Hopefully it was a one off issue. If this would of happened when i was in the twisties, it would have been really really bad. Gear oil would have dumped on the rear wheel and it would have been all over for the SS and maybe even me.

But at least it didn't take long for it to be fixed.

With many on the road now with some decent miles, a good number of Turbos, and countless "hey...watch this" moments, and yours being the first .. I think it is much safer to say today than a year ago that I would be pretty confident it was an isolated event .. (sorry..too much sun this morning..that kinda doesn't even make sense to me wacky-squared )

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......