Repairing the crack.

• I just repaired a tab on the left side near the brace that rubs on the plastic. The tab was flimsy and cracked half way through and ready to break after I repaired the brace and tried to install the fastener, I used a hot staple gun Astro Pneumatic tool company model 7600 109.00 on Amazon. It worked great the trick is to sink half way into the plastic with the hot staple and twist it then let it cool, remove tool cut excess staple with side cutter (supplied). Good visual on youtube. They use this a lot in boating repair, also used to repair plastic bumpers on cars,then they bondo over the cracks. Got a feeling I’ll be using this tool a lot!

• Ok, so what year sling do you have and has Polaris reinforced that hood area any?

If you plan on fixing it correctly you need to drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from going any farther.

Mine is in the shop now for a warranty repair, not on the hood...but when I get it back I will be looking to see if I can add some JB weld to that area to beef it up.

I have the extended hood hinges on mine.. Thinking about that area of the hood the stress on it when you lift the entire weight there must be pretty high.

• I also have some 1" wide fiberglass on a roll, maybe adding that with the JB weld and making several layers would help.....just as long as there is room and it stays hidden from view and there are no clearance issues...

The question would be if you beef up that area would it crack father out?

• I have a 16.5 it has a metal plate above the push down latch, also when ever I open or close it I nurse it if someones around open it from both sides and I don't slam it down I keep a micro rag and push over the latches it's a large area with out (in my opinion) good support.
    I'm sure the staples will control any further cracking, I think I would reinforce with fiberglass maybe glass a piece of metal under the glass and spring for that lift kit matter of fact based on your experience I'm considering the kit from MeanSling. But the staples not only hold it together but without reinforcement will allow it to flex without cracking. No matter how you fix it or even get a new hood a lift kit is still a good idea. IMO...good luck.