This rear tire, too cheap to be good?

• Do you think the bead/sidewalks are too stiff and that’s why the problem getting them on correctly?

But then again never underestimate an idiot installer.

I saw the guy at Pep Boys using what looked like a long screwdriver while he was struggling with the tire. I watched the guy at the independent tire shop and he only used regular tire spoons and a large rubber mallet with a lot of tire lubricant, so I'm reasonably sure he didn't damage the first tire. Since the tire had marks near the bead that looked like they were made by a large screwdriver blade, that makes me feel like Pep Boys caused the damage to the first tire.

Since the independent tire shop also struggled to get the tire to seat/seal against the wheel, I wondered if the wheel or tire might be at fault, but I have read other comments about the tire and wheel, so I don't really know. One of the other workers at the independent tire shop did tell me he thought he could have gotten it done faster. The only thing I can see that might have been a problem is the fact that the tire was a 30 profile which does mean the sidewall is not as flexible as a taller profile tire. Pep Boys paperwork listed the install as being for a taller profile tire, so the extra low profile tires may indeed offer challenges. I previously had Discount Tire install a 295/30ZR18 tire on the stock 9.5" rim and they didn't seem to have problems, so I guess the Achilles tire may have a stiffer sidewall that makes it harder to install.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I purchased a set of 4 from Amazon of this same brand and placed them on my 2018 Mercedes Benz GLE43 AMG. I currently have about 10,000 miles on them and they handle and run great. No tire noise and wearing fine. I had them rotated about a month ago and no issues from Discount tire when they completed the service.

Be safe and God bless!