Muffler failure catastrophic

• Back to my repair. Big dog recommends Heliarc welding. What is the material the can is made of, titanium, stainless, ?? I have removed it and got it cleaned up. Need to know the material and best method if all agree with bigdog that’s what I will do. See pics of cracks. Oh 45 min to remove exhaust, easier than I thought.

Looking at those pictures. From what I can see....I can't blow it up enough....but it looks like the metal broke beside the weld...the weld would be right on the corner. The crack I see looks like its on the flat...

It's still fixable.

If they gave the unit to some kid and said polish this ...he could have not knowing.... Ground off too much material...not being very experienced...

• Awesome info, thanks to all for the input and keep it comming. The shop I stopped by today had a grandfather & grandson welding up a trailer as I walked in. I asked the elder of the two, "what do you think?" Him: "whats it off" Me: "Polaris Slingshot, aftermarket" Him: "looks like titanium" Me: "Really, I think its stainless" Him: "I think we have tried those before, if its stainless i can do it, but I think its titanium". So, just to prove grandpa right, the grandson (not saying a word) comes over and tries to stick a magnet on it.....it doesnt stick and the grandfather says: " Yup, don't stick, I think its Titanium" Me: Really, I need to find out what it is. Him: "Find out what it is and if its stainless, we can do it."

Here is the best part of the story keep reading: I will take it back to that shop and go with 300 SS. I will tell them to "weld er up". "The grandson was 9 years old". ;):P

• I think this would all go away if Henry would just communicate

Perhaps, but what could he say that would be helpful? If he pokes his head up he'll be bombarded with questions and comments that he can't respond to with anything helpful or reassuring. Every warranty exchange Alpha does on these mufflers is a big loss for them and it sounds like they've replaced quite a few. If they're losing money on these faster than they're making it, or they have no more stock and no reliable supplier, there is very little they can do. I suspect Henry is probably laying low until he has something more to offer than just an apology.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• Well looks like I will have to put stock muffler back on..don’t know what’s gonna happen with slingmods and alpha Have too much good riding weather right now. I do have a question, with the 1320 header ,will stock muffler fit? I haven’t looked closely kinda waiting till at least Tuesday. Anyone with suggestions?

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Have not had any problems, anything I can do as preventive maintenance before it cracks???

You could have it analyzed for weaknesses, mirco-fractures, or other signs of potential failure, then fab and weld reinforcing material around suspect areas. Unfortunately, I have no idea how much that would cost or where to get it done. The only other thing you can do to ensure it doesn't crack is to stop using it and install something else which would probably be a lot less hassle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

Edited once, last by Gadgeteer ().

• Get the seam welded where the exhaust pipe comes out, and put pipe clamps around the muffler to make sure it stays attached to the bracket

Actually it's not where the outlet pipe is welded. It's the seam around the outlet side of the muffler itself. The pipe seam doesn't break. The weight of the pipe and the movement puts stress on the seam of the muffler. Most of the heat and pressure will build at the outlet side of the muffler and with the weight and movement of the outlet pipe it will fracture the muffler seam.
    After my first one broke I bought a support from 1320 that bolts in by the passenger side hood latch but traded my SS for a new one in MV and never got to see if it helped. Since @HeRSling has the Alpha side exit with the additional weight of a Jaguar tip I am looking at using the support on hers. We both love the sound and want to keep it if possible.

• Thanks for the explanation of the problem with the exhaust. Really like the side exhaust sound and position too, so I don't want to give it up without a fight. Do you have the part number for the support bracket you used? Sounds like it cheap possible solution. Definitely worth trying. Thanks

• on his last few, Henry was welding the seam before he sent them out. But then the muffler started seperating from the three weld points where the muffler attaches to the bracket. If you put a large hose clamp around the muffler thru the bracket it will help secure it.

• Well I just went to local muffler shop and he is going to check on a magna flow muffler with a little modification for the side exit hole Don’t know yet but will keep posted. Is there any other side exit out there?

Keep Three Wheels Down