Stalling out

• Humm I will check all of these and grateful for all the suggestions. I think I’m going to run it the way it is right now so if it does become “fixed” that way I will know exactly what it is/was.

But if not I will do one at a time of the above suggestions and hopefully narrow it down.

Yet another reason why I enjoy being here so much. The vast breath of knowledge here is incredible particularly for those of us that enjoy picking up a wrench and tinkering ourselves🙂

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• SoCal I experience the same issue occasionally (2016). The first time it actually stalled was in Canada when running 91 octane instead of the 92 I get locally (with methane). Here at home it does not actually stall very often but I get the rpm drop and try to give it a little goose to bring it back up without stalling. I have attributed it to the Polaris tune and plan to get one of the aftermarket tunes with a slightly higher idle, expecting that will help. I just haven't got around to it yet. Something about sending my brain in the mail I guess.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• SoCal I experience the same issue occasionally (2016). The first time it actually stalled was in Canada when running 91 octane instead of the 92 I get locally (with methane). Here at home it does not actually stall very often but I get the rpm drop and try to give it a little goose to bring it back up without stalling. I have attributed it to the Polaris tune and plan to get one of the aftermarket tunes with a slightly higher idle, expecting that will help. I just haven't got around to it yet. Something about sending my brain in the mail I guess.

Thanks for the reply as I sometimes think my brain got lost in the mail!

I have a few other garage projects going on right now and will probably take her out for a run in the next day or so after cleaning the throttlebody. Both for myself and those on the form that are experiencing this problem I would like to try one fix at a time and should it get fixed I will pass it along with the hope of helping others as well.

Thankfully it doesn’t happen all the time as I mentioned - usually a couple three times on a 100 or 200 mile trip mostly after I’ve come down from speed on the freeway to a stop sign.

• My Slingshot occasionally stalls out on me when I come up to stop. It doesn’t happen all the time but on a full day trip it can happen two or three times. The red button always stays on, I can restart it, but it’s annoying at least and embarrassing at best.

I do not recall what year of SlingShot that you have, but maybe a very remote possibility where there was some sort of bulletin to update the programming on the ECU on the 2015/2016 model years to address several issues at the time?

Bill

• I do not recall what year of SlingShot that you have, but maybe a very remote possibility where there was some sort of bulletin to update the programming on the ECU on the 2015/2016 model years to address several issues at the time?

Bill

thanks Bill I have a 2019 and it is worthy to check and find out if there have been any updates. I am not aware of any but thank you for bringing this up!

• I have cleaned and re-oiled my K&N filter, cleaned the throttle body, and put a wrench on all my manifold bolts. Curiously three of the manifold bolts I got a quarter turn on, two or three I got an eighth of a turn, and the rest were tight. Going to take her out for a ride this afternoon and see what happens 😎

Thank you’all for your input and we shall see.

• Wooooohooo! I have the cure!!😎

95 miles today down to the beach In San Clemente. Not sure which one was the culprit because I did both of them however every single stop sign every single stop at an exit I had the RPMs up around 3 to 4000 and then just pushed the clutch in and let it settle down. Never once did it go below 750 and never once did I get the shutter or stall.

Not sure if it was the tightening of the header bolts or the cleaning of the throttlebody but both are incredibly easy to do and I really feel like I ran it through all of the exercises today and it feels so good to be confident that it won’t stall out.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions as I used about a dollar‘s worth of carb cleaner and three minutes with a socket wrench to fix this but couldn’t have done it without your input! Grateful!

• Again I kind of wish I had just done the throttlebody and ran it to be definitive on the fix. Having an exhaust leak I understand can cause troubles as well. Strange day today in that I left the house in a T-shirt and 82° and down at the beach it was foggy and 62 so needless to say it was a quick turnaround😎

And one more time I am grateful to everybody that chimed in on this and helped me get it fixed! I love a cheap fix!!