Question for DDM. ZZP, etc...

• You guys are some of the best In the world with the Ecotec platform. So my question... did any of you toy with the idea of using the M62 blower on a slingshot? If so, what are the hurtles for it not to work? Space, heat?

2016.5 Pearl White SL LE

• You guys are some of the best In the world with the Ecotec platform. So my question... did any of you toy with the idea of using the M62 blower on a slingshot? If so, what are the hurtles for it not to work? Space, heat?

We originally looked at swapping over the M62 kit that we made for the Solstice/Sky onto the Slingshot. The problem with using that kit was the supercharger hit the hood of the Slingshot, since it sits much closer to the engine than the Solstice/Sky. There have been several questions that pop up all the time about using the Cobalt SS Mp62 setup on the Slingshot with the intake manifold mount. That setup though puts the intake of the supercharger right into the frame rail / firewall of the Slingshot. A couple guys have hacked up the MP62 and mounted them, made a custom mount plate for a TVS, etc, but still not an optimal setup. Also at this point the M62 supercharger is pretty old and also Magnusson is running about 14-16 weeks to get those cores (just talked to them last week), so delivery time is really not optimal either right now. If you were going to do it, you would want to use a TVS supercharger, since the price is about the same, they have better efficiency and shorter lead times.

Hope that answers your questions,

Dave

• We considered doing a kit using the M62 since we have a kit for the Cobalts. We found a way to get one in there and clear all the way with out modification. The main issue, like Dave mentioned, is the M62s are old at this point, hard to source, and hard to get parts for. We didn't want to bring a kit to market that we were not going to be able to support the community with any parts they may need over time blower wise. Also as mentioned there have been some guys that have mounted the TVS blowers to their slings. We have one here currently with a TVS1900 blower on it. They had to do some extensive work to the blower for it to fit and make a custom inlet to mount the throttle body to and, in my opinion, it's not the best or most efficient design but they did a decent job with the space they had to work with. IF I was going to go that route I would have used the TVS1320 but that has been discontinued. The 1900 is too big for the 2.4L in my opinion and none of the guys in the Cobalt scene every made any massive power numbers like they thought. There are roughly 5ish guys in the Cobalt community that made these TVS1900 kits thinking they were going to smash all the power records but every year you see one of these kits up for sale in the FB groups with the owner going in a different direction because they didn't make the numbers they thought they would. The TVS1900 sling here currently with a base tune to get it running well made 246whp. The person spent a good deal of money with another company to "do something different" but came up making nearly 20whp less than our stage 1 turbo kit that costs just under $3k. We are moving to a Haltech PCM with the build, doing flex fuel so they can run E85 also, and tuning in a small shot of nitrous. Even with all that, my guesstimate is low to mid 300s for power on E85. It's just not a very efficient setup. I get why people like the supercharged setup but you can play with compressor and turbine wheel size and A/R and you can get a turbo to have a linear power band similar to a blower. That's my 2 cents. If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

Edited once, last by Kyle D ().