Angledrive fill and drain plugs

• I've changed my angle drive oil several times now and I think I over tightened the upper plug last time I changed it. I had a bitch of a time getting it to come out. Finally got it but buggered it up some so I ordered a new one along with the lower plug, (just in case). They are made of a different metal and seem to be a little better. I looked up the torque on these when I put them back this time and it's 12 ft lbs. Used the torque wrench when I replaced them and I'm thinking they should be fine next time I need to remove them.

Psalm 28:4 "Give to them according to the evil of their deeds"

"Attitude determines airspeed, throttle determines touchdown point"

TheDonFather - Videos

• I've changed my angle drive oil several times now and I think I over tightened the upper plug last time I changed it. I had a bitch of a time getting it to come out. Finally got it but buggered it up some so I ordered a new one along with the lower plug, (just in case). They are made of a different metal and seem to be a little better. I looked up the torque on these when I put them back this time and it's 12 ft lbs. Used the torque wrench when I replaced them and I'm thinking they should be fine next time I need to remove them.

Need a 50 torqx. You cannot bugger it up with that.

• Most people that do not work with tools very often over tighten everything even the gas cap on your Slingshot. Unless you are putting together an engine or putting on lug nuts torque really does not mean much. I have used tools/wrenches and such all of my life and rarely use a torque wrench.

• We were changing angle drive fluid up here once a year on our own Slings (and a few others), or every other year on all the rest. Now that we've got 85w-250 we're probably going to switch to every other year. It's cheap and easy enough to do. And the plugs are 8mm allen, not Torx. And yes, do not over tighten them, a gentle snug is all you need.

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• We were changing angle drive fluid up here once a year on our own Slings (and a few others), or every other year on all the rest. Now that we've got 85w-250 we're probably going to switch to every other year. It's cheap and easy enough to do. And the plugs are 8mm allen, not Torx. And yes, do not over tighten them, a gentle snug is all you need.

Hmmm, mine is a 2015 50 torqx fits perfectly. At least for me.

• Just out of curiosity, why are you changing your angle drive fluid so often?

Bill

I'm anal. Actually I'm retired and sometimes get bored on rainy days. Also I've talked myself into changing the angledrive oil everytime I change my engine oil...

TheDonFather - Videos

Yep, 8mm hex is what I started to round it out with. Went with the Torx for a better bite. I will now go back to the hex.

TheDonFather - Videos

85w 250 huh? How's it working out? What brand you using?

TheDonFather - Videos

• We were changing angle drive fluid up here once a year on our own Slings (and a few others), or every other year on all the rest. Now that we've got 85w-250 we're probably going to switch to every other year.

I seem to recall it being related that newer SlingShots using 85W-250 gear oil having the issue of the thicker lube plugging the vent, building up internal pressure and blowing seals, or something like that?

OK, I found it: https://www.slingshotforums.co…-leak.181754/#post-922819

Anyways, it caused me to rethink things and just leave the, (so far trouble free), 75W-140 in there.

Bill

• 85w 250 huh? How's it working out? What brand you using?

The Polaris RAD oil. We've been using 75w-140 Amsoil with pretty good success, but since the 202-21's have been out the angle drives have been quieter so we figured we try the new oil. So far so good. Main thing is to not overfill the drive. Only put in what is recommended.

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• The Polaris RAD oil. We've been using 75w-140 Amsoil with pretty good success, but since the 202-21's have been out the angle drives have been quieter so we figured we try the new oil. So far so good. Main thing is to not overfill the drive. Only put in what is recommended.

Interesting. Any idea how the new Polaris Angle Drive lube compares to Redline Heavy Shockproof which is listed as having "Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90" per their website - https://www.redlineoil.com/heavy-shockproof.

As far as Allen vs TorX fittings, the Slingshot has several fasteners that it can be hard to tell which one the fastener is designed for. When replacing my angle drive, I never did figure out which fastener the small bolts that attach the U-Joint to the Angle Drive really need. Both seemed to work, but if a fastener is designed for Allen, I'd think using a Torx might eventually damage either the fastener or the tool., if not both.

• Yeah the driveshaft bolts are allen head. 5mm for the u-joint, 6mm for the transmission side. The drain/fill plugs for the angle drive are 8mm allen. Not sure about comparing the oils, haven't read into it yet. It does pour fairly thick, but not as thick as Lucas Oil Stabilizer though.