2021 R Fail to start

• I have a 2021 R AutoDrive that has an intermittent problem starting. I depress the brake to start the fuel pump and pressurize the fuel lines, then depress the start button when fuel pressure is adequate. About in about 1 out of 20 starts the starter is momentarily engaged (I don't believe that it cranks at all though) and all dash indication goes dark (like a loss of power). I have to depress the start push button 2 more times to get a response and so far it has started normally after the second button push. The machine is under warranty and I'm going to have the dealer take a look at it when I get my 5,000-mile service here in a couple of weeks but I'd like to have an idea of what it may be to keep from getting the runaround. I was thinking about the pushbutton (switch) failing but it seems too random as far as the number of starts interrupted and too patterned when it fails. There are no codes being displayed, unless they are being generated and resetting during the electrical transient.

I've looked around and I haven't been able to find any discussion related to this, although I have to admit that I'm new to the forum.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Chip

• Could be the push button. My 2020 R with autodrive has a problem with the Drive button being hard to get it to work. Dealer said they would take a look at it but it seams to be getting better. Seams like it started doing it when in sit out in a heavy rain one day.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• I assume your 2021 Slingshot R AutoDrive displays battery voltage? Do you notice any fluctuation in voltage when you try to engage the starter? I wouldn't think a bad battery would only act up once or twice out of every 20 starts, but check your battery voltage, just in case.

I used to have an old Harbor Freight LED battery monitor that plugged into a power port (aka cigarette lighter port). It used a series of colored LEDs to indicate battery condition. Amazon sells a similar unit with a digital display - https://smile.amazon.com/Zelta…-Voltmeter/dp/B085G5PM35/. Nicely priced at $8.29 for one or $10.99 for 2, with free Prime shipping for either choice. I've been meaning to get a newer monitor that I can use on different vehicles as it can be handy.

• Sounds to me like the starter is possibly locking up on the flywheel or failing to mesh proper.

Possible loose bolt on starter or bad spot on flywheel.

High Amp draw of the starter during the lock up would cause lights to drop out.

Internal short in starter would cause same.

Just an opinion from way over here.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Thanks very much, guys. I've started keeping a log of dash indications, steps taken (like pushbutton depresses, brake petal pressing/releasing, etc.), ambient conditions, battery voltage. I'm going to get a voltage monitor, the 2021 displays voltage but if the dash is dead it doesn't do me much good. A high amp draw would most likely drop buss voltage and cause the display to drop out. It's really odd how random it is and that the fix is to depress the pushbutton twice to get it to turn over. There are clues there, I just have to find them and arrange them to point to something.

• Just buy you one of the small volt meters from E-Bay or Amazon, less than $10. Mount it under the dash where you can see it easily and then hook it up to the battery hot or the alternator hot. That way it will always display the voltage of the battery and if the voltage falls below 12 volts then you know to charge the battery. Plug your battery tender into the recpt. between the seats.