Boost/AFR gauge - Engine Off, On, and negative readings

• Ok, have a question for you all. Hooked up the PSB-1 boost/AFR gauge from Innovate today and I'm curious about something. I totally get how when the engine is running it's measuring the vacuum and it's negative -12 to -15 etc... Gas it and you can get it to zero. Assuming when I get this on the street and under load we'll see the boost being made. My question though is why would there be negative boost with the engine off? I even unhooked it from the boost line and just left to atmosphere and it's the same -6.2.

Is this normal? Why doesn't it read zero when the engine is off? I went through manual a few times and the only calibration I saw was for the o2 sensor. Just wondering if there is something I'm missing that maybe you guys are aware of before I reach out to innovate and ask. Thanks guys.

• From - https://www.clubwrx.net/thread…-read-negative.134321099/ -

"

If the turbo is not forcing air into the engine, the engine is sucking air which is what causes vaccuum. A negative reading on a boost gauge is meerely telling you how much vaccuum your engine is pulling.

Don't call it negative boost though..."

The negative sign simply indicates vacuum as opposed to boost.

• I'm learning.

I've been watching some videos and get why the vacuum is there with engine running, but not sure why still negative (-6.2) with engine off and/or that hose to atmosphere. I think it's setting though as on others when engine on it shows 0psi and not that negative reading.

• I'm learning.

I've been watching some videos and get why the vacuum is there with engine running, but not sure why still negative (-6.2) with engine off and/or that hose to atmosphere. I think it's setting though as on others when engine on it shows 0psi and not that negative reading.

My Innovate SCG-1 shows 0 psi before I start the motor.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Ok, have a question for you all. Hooked up the PSB-1 boost/AFR gauge from Innovate today and I'm curious about something. I totally get how when the engine is running it's measuring the vacuum and it's negative -12 to -15 etc... Gas it and you can get it to zero. Assuming when I get this on the street and under load we'll see the boost being made. My question though is why would there be negative boost with the engine off? I even unhooked it from the boost line and just left to atmosphere and it's the same -6.2.

Is this normal? Why doesn't it read zero when the engine is off? I went through manual a few times and the only calibration I saw was for the o2 sensor. Just wondering if there is something I'm missing that maybe you guys are aware of before I reach out to innovate and ask. Thanks guys.

From what I have gathered, you are in Colorado and at altitude, so your base pressure will be lower than standard pressure and the reason you are seeing a negative number with the engine off but keyed up. What altitude are you at?