Looking for some help... Powder Coating

• Hi All,

I've done some searching around on the web and just like everything else, there are wild swings in opinions regarding powder coating wheels. I have searched this forum and the other one and am seeking some guidance from this group of fellow slingers. That being said, I would like to have a professional powder coat my stock rims on my 2016 SL. Is this a good idea? Do I need to worry about cracking due to the coating, heating, and cooling process? Are there specific questions I should be asking? I have never had anything powdercoated, but again I am very interested in having the wheels done. I am going to a very reputable local powdercoater and he has done a set of base slingshot wheels in the past? Besides the obvious look and size of the base wheels, are they more robust than the SL wheels? Is there less of a worry on cracking? I expressed my concern to the powder coater and was told he has literally done thousands of wheels, motorcycles, cars, big rigs, etc. and has never had a wheel failure related to powder coating I also understand that there was some initial cracking on the SL wheels, and I have been continuously inspecting mine. I don't see any hairline fractures, and again my gut tells me that powder coating the wheel would indeed potentially make it stronger. Again, I know insights will differ on this subject, but I'm looking for some help. Thanks in advance.

-Brad

• Hi All,

I've done some searching around on the web and just like everything else, there are wild swings in opinions regarding powder coating wheels. I have searched this forum and the other one and am seeking some guidance from this group of fellow slingers. That being said, I would like to have a professional powder coat my stock rims on my 2016 SL. Is this a good idea? Do I need to worry about cracking due to the coating, heating, and cooling process? Are there specific questions I should be asking? I have never had anything powdercoated, but again I am very interested in having the wheels done. I am going to a very reputable local powdercoater and he has done a set of base slingshot wheels in the past? Besides the obvious look and size of the base wheels, are they more robust than the SL wheels? Is there less of a worry on cracking? I expressed my concern to the powder coater and was told he has literally done thousands of wheels, motorcycles, cars, big rigs, etc. and has never had a wheel failure related to powder coating I also understand that there was some initial cracking on the SL wheels, and I have been continuously inspecting mine. I don't see any hairline fractures, and again my gut tells me that powder coating the wheel would indeed potentially make it stronger. Again, I know insights will differ on this subject, but I'm looking for some help. Thanks in advance.

-Brad

Powder coating is Solid! you should have no issues. They powder coat Cars, Bikes, Slings etc for that custom look/ color ALL THE TIME!!Powder coat is durable & if DONE right looks like a smooth gloss finish. With that anything get can dinged by a rock/ debris whether powder coat, chrome, paint.

Your all set Buddy-Go for it!! :thumbsup:

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/