BELT TENSION ON 2016

• DOES ANYONE HAVE THE CORRECT BELT TENSION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE 2016MY? ALSO HOW TO PERFORM THE BELT TENSION? I AM THINKING OF JUST TAKING IT TO A DEALER AND LETTING THEM DO IT. I 1ST THOUGHT THAT THE WHINNING NOISE WAS DUE TO BELT MISLAIGNMENT BUT AFTER LOOKING AFTER NEW MODELS 2016 AND A 2017 THE BELTS ARE IN THE SAME POSITION ON ALL OF THEM. 1ST PHOTO IS OF THE 2017, NEXT 2 ARE OF 2 2016'S, NEXT IS A 2017 AND THE LAST PHOTO HERE IS OF MY BELT.

• Belt alignment is verified on the rear pulley, not the front. It should be riding to the inboard (drivers) side of the rear pulley, almost (but not) touching the side.

Polaris used to have service videos online but they have been removed so maybe someone with a service manual can post up the belt adjustment procedure. It has been posted before here and elsewhere but for some reason I can't find it.

FYI many (myself included) feel Polaris spec is waaay too tight. The few newer models I have seen on the showroom floor seem to be coming from the factory without the banjo tight belt all of the 15's and early 16's had so it may be verification.

Also make sure it is checked cold and has not been wet from washing or rain in 24 hours. The belt gets tighter as everything heats up when used so if you plan to have the dealer check it expect an overnight stay.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().

• @Orangeman I can tell you my May build date 2016 has a very tight belt. It was pointed out to me at the North Ga ride last weekend. Maybe it is build dates after may. Possible a 2017 spec change?

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @Orangeman I can tell you my May build date 2016 has a very tight belt. It was pointed out to me at the North Ga ride last weekend. Maybe it is build dates after may. Possible a 2017 spec change?

All I have as reference are those on my dealers floor ..... my '15 was so tight when delivered that with a rider in place it went to zero and when hot was under tension..... Polaris instructions at that time where to leave it that way and not surprisingly my rear needle bearing went bad with less than 3K on the odometer .. Those in his showroom at my last visit (Middle of April) where to spec or slightly little loose at delivery ... he told me they started showing up that way ...

What I didn't ask him was if Polaris added belt tension to the set up instructions rather than leaving at at factory set specs for the first 2500 miles as before ....

EDIT: @Ruptured Duck I would also like to mention the gentlemen who is posting photos, measurements, and step by step inspection elsewhere of the used angle drive he disassembled and is attempting to set up using accepted industry standard for a automotive rear found bearing race heat patterns indicating too high a belt tension. The unit was advertised as having 7k miles on it at time if removal.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().